• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger year I.D.

David Nelson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2005 /1987
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello guys, as you know I’ve been trying to transplant a 1997 Ford Ranger 4x4 4.0l into my 1987 B2. The engine was installed in the Bronco with the engine wiring harness intac. The transmission and transfercase were installed to the engine . When I bought this B2 project I had a chance to buy the entire totaled 97 Ranger with it and I didn’t. I took off what I thought I would need. Well I screwed up. So now I’m looking to purchase a donor truck. I see some at Copart and if I can get one cheap close to home so the shipping won’t kill me it would be worth it. I’ll have to read up on how that process works .

My question is what year Rangers will work with my 97 4.0l or is it 97 only. There seems to be alot of 3.0l V6’s out there and they seem real close. I need mainly just wiring like the dash harness and such . And just having a donor to study would be nice. Thx David

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1995-1997 will be closest match
1994 and earlier will be way different

1998-2000 can work

In 1995 Rangers got the new 104 wire computer(PCM, EEC-V) AND
GEM module, the body computer, behind radio in the cab, controls 4x4 system
Electric speedometer

In 1998 4x4s got torsion bar front suspension, but cab electrics should be close to the same
And different transfer case with propeller CV joint

In 2001 4x4 control system was taken out of GEM and a separate 4x4CM was added, so a wiring change in the cab

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals