• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Cheap bastard

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
A friend of mine picked up a 89 2.9/5spd/1350M long bed ranger for 300 bucks. I set out to build him a trail rig for DIRT cheap.

First order of business was welding up the rear, simple, cheap and effective.

Second order of was tossing the d28 because it had a bad u-joint and I knew it was not long for this world anyway. A d35 with matching gears and manual hubs was picked up, swapped in and a driveshaft bastardized in a matter of 36 hrs.

Third was setting out on a mission to get maximum front flex without buying a expensive over priced lift that just raises the center of gravity.

I had a set of stock XJ coils sitting around, they failed miserably and were not even close to the right ride height. Next we went to the junk yard in search of v8 ZJ (grand cherokee) coils. We scored a set sitting on the ground next to 2 v8 ZJs! We installed the coils and still did not have a acceptable ride height so while hunting through my garage I found two 2inch spacers for a jeep. Knowing that one side always sags out more than the other I nipped 1/2 an inch off one spacer and attempted to put it in on the higher riding side. The install failed so we had to rent a coil spring compressor and they dropped right in.

Finally we had the ride height we needed and camber was slightly negative BUT when it was driven the front end unloaded. This allowed the camber to come within spec but ONLY while driving.The next challenge was the fact we were going to forcefully tear the brake lines if we did not get some brake lines that measure at least 24 inches. 75 dollars later we had 28 inch brake lines. Having around ten inches of suspension travel while running 205/70/15s just did not fulfill our offroad ambitions so we picked up 4 31/10.5/15s for 50 bucks. 2 of them are nearly new and 2 of them are chopped but who cares. This POS is just going to spend its life doing burnouts, drifting and using a wheeling style called "get the cab past and drag the rest".

The new tires will suit our purpose just fine (well until some 33s are found for 50 bucks). As I am sure you can imagine now the fenders required some serious cutting and they got it. Obliviously sway bars were sent to that big scrap pile in the sky.

The first "test run" will be the weekend following New Years. I anticipate this Ranger will out run any stock height rig we come across with ease. Even if its locked front and rear. We will hopefully have some RTI ramp scores this trip.

Now, I am sure someone wants to know if we drive this contraption that was sponsored by cheap beer and booze on the road, my response is YES. If you can imagine a dingy in a hurricane thats about what this ranger feels like on the road. With that being said, it does not bother me one bit. My old b2 was my winter DD when needed and it was on Bias ply TSLs with a mini spooled rear, so this is like a brand new caddy in my world.

Total cost to date is roughly 650. I left out all the stupid repairs that totaled about 150 dollars.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Getting pictures out of me is like pulling teeth. What pictures do you want? I am usually to busy trying to work and not lose my beer to try and keep track of a camera too.

ranger92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
:worthless:

enough talk lets see it! :thefinger:

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Getting pictures out of me is like pulling teeth. What pictures do you want? I am usually to busy trying to work and not lose my beer to try and keep track of a camera too.

understood.......but maybe i can put it in perspective.....i don't drink.....so i need a few pics every hour or so to stay calm...

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I will get you guys pictures today (hopefully!). Hell I have pictures of when I rolled my Explorer and I still have not posted them!

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here are your pictures. Its a small miracle I even took the pictures much less posted them. I need to get back to work ASAP!

Ride height, notice we have done extensive trimming.

nearly full droop.

Thats a 33 inch tire that actually measures out 32 inches sitting next to the truck.

The same 33 inch tire almost completely under the front diff.

This side on the rear still has the sway bar hooked up, but the other side does not. I anticipate a little more travel once the rear sway bar is completely gone.

I did not flex out the rear because I was solo so I do not know how far the front end will stuff, but I do know a different shock setup will increase the stuff even more.

I anticipate this frame cracking from all the flex and abuse down the road.

Last edited:

kroussinoffroad

October 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ferd
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
not tryin to be an ass but looks like the core support bein rusted out greatly increases flex as well

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
not tryin to be an ass but looks like the core support bein rusted out greatly increases flex as well
it does. I am well aware of that. we are leaving it that way for that exact reason.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
looks good...beat the shit out of it until it breaks and do it again

kroussinoffroad

October 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ferd
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
what you need to do is yank the front fenders right off cut the inner fender so it fits right and you'll have a tone of clerance

as i did in my old ELCHEAPO BRONCHITIS

BigJohn76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
held together with zip-ties. i like it.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what you need to do is yank the front fenders right off cut the inner fender so it fits right and you'll have a tone of clerance

as i did in my old ELCHEAPO BRONCHITIS
I already did that. This is not my first RBV with over 10 inches of wheel travel.

Take a closer look at the pictures.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
looks good...beat the shit out of it until it breaks and do it again
You talk like thats going to take long. We decided to not weld the front end to keep it winter weather road worthy and give the front end a prayer of survival.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals