• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Problem relearning fuel tables?

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, the other day I performed a tune up on my 01 ranger and since I have a remote start system I pulled the battery leads while I worked. When I hooked them back up, it cranked fine but idled a bit high (1100). Not really the issue but felt as if i should say it. I went for a test drive and all was fine. However, full throttle is extremely lean according to my wide band. I had my tune dialed in to 12.9-13.1 at WOT, but now I'm lucky to see as low as 13.9. On average it is showing around 14.2 at WOT and has no where near as much pull as it used to. It's kind of worrying since the only thing that changed was new plugs/wires and a disconnected battery. I drove it for a half tank thinking it only needed to relearn itself, but wot afr is still the same. Next step i took was a new tune. I added 5% fuel at wot, but i'm still showing extremely lean after 3/4 of a tank on the new tune. Part throttle (in this case 50-80%) is 12.5-12.9 though, but as soon as it gets to full it goes lean again. Also, the truck seems to randomly go rich while I'm driving perfectly sanely. Normal driving afr is still 14.7-14.8 but every now and then (i cant replicate it on demand) it will creep down to 14.2, then back up to 14.7.

Additional info: 2001 ranger 4.0 sohc, sniper tuner, using the same wideband for all runs, didn't touch anything that would affect afr during tune up.

Any help/suggestions would be helpful.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I would start by getting the tune out, getting the program back to stock, and see how it does there. If the AFR stays normal with the factory program then you know you have a software issue. If it still does the same thing you have a truck issue.

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, I put the stock tune back on and drove it around long enough to get the p1000 out of the system and its doing the same thing. I have noticed, however, that if i ease into full throttle it stays rich in open loop all the way to almost full throttle. once its at wot, it runs lean. I put the tuner on it to see if it was seeing wot and the first pull it maxed to 50%, but every time after that it saw 100% and was still lean

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Just incase someone else has this issue, the AFRs normalled back out, but it took about a full tank and of half of mixed driving conditions. I'm not sure why since the only thing it should need to relearn in fuel trims at low throttle, but hey it works now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals