• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pretty pissed off right now....

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Let it go man. Just let it go. You're looking for a different job anyway, and they know it. Seems neither you nor your employer want you there. Keep looking for a job and move on with life.

173dave

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V-6
Transmission
Manual
I feel I got screwed out of holiday pay, give me your opinions. Ill try to make a long story short.

I work for a privately owned body shop. I graduated from college with a bachelors in business administration in may. I have been lazily searching for a better job since then, my work figured I would be doing that so they offered me a raise. The raise involved me being paid salary, the same amount for 40-50 hours per week, after 50 I am paid time and a half for the figured hourly amount.

Last monday (day after new years) was designated as a paid holiday (paid 8 hours at hourly rate). The painter and I ended up working that monday to try and finish painting a big job, a fifty foot class A rv. COMPLETE PAINT JOB.

I ended up working 56.5 actual hours that week, so I received my hourly rate for 56.5 hours with 6.5 being time and a half for 6.5 hours. I however was not paid for the 8 hours of holiday that everyone else in the shop was paid. Only myself and the painter worked that monday. His holiday pay was added to his check.

I was denied that holiday because my boss feels that the 8 hours of holiday pay is only meant to make it so I would make my regular pay check because I am a salary employee and must work at least 40 hours weekly to make my regular salary check.

Am I pissed off for no reason, is he correct. I am so bothered by this that I try not to think about it. I feel like I got royally phucked out of 8 hours of pay when I worked my ass off all week. I worked 18 hour days trying to get that big job done and feel I got taken advantage of.:temper:
Maybe college screwed you. Do the math. You screwed yourself. Go back to hourly. At least that way you have the labor board. When you went salary for 50 hours you gave him the right to do what ever he wants. If you want to make money, make yourself un replaceable to him, work your ass off. That's how you get ahead in this world.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
You're a salary tech at a body shop? I think that right there is BS. Either hourly or flat rate, thats how it should be. The only people that are salary at my shop are the people in the office (estimators, managers, secretary).

As far as your holiday, I agree with the above, thats salary, its shitty. You are lucky though that he at least pays your OT, I know a plenty of people who work salary that don't get OT, they get paid the same no matter how much they work.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Ask for comp time. If that doesnt fly, call in sick.

colby450xc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info and opinions everyone. I'm just gonna let it go. I know his opinion and the way he is in general. It's all about the buck, he screws all the employees out of money except the ones that have a really big mouth and I never really have. It just feels screwed up that I could have sat on my ass at home and been paid for nothing, but instead I worked from 9am that morning til 1:30 the next morning because the owner was pushing a deadline just so the job could be on the books for 2011.

I'm gonna leave it be and just let it be motivation to move on out as soon as possible. I started out as a just being a porter curious about being a painter. Ended up basically being a painter's helper/ prepper with all of the jobs of also being the porter. I chose my college major based on wanting to open a shop one day because I thought it was an interesting business that also went with a hobby I loved. While working for this place I figure out more and more shady business every day I'm working there. It's turned me off to having anything to do with this kind of thing. I guess that's life though, people will be shady as hell especially when it fills their pockets

Sadly enough its my favorite job I've had yet but I feel my can-do attitude and work ethic has let the owner of the shop take advantage of the situation.

I'm looking to flip sides on the business equation and be an insurance adjuster, usually the nemisis shop owner or foreman from what I've witnessed. I've grown accustom to watching the owner of this shop get away with basic insurance fraud and double ticketing jobs to get a cut under the table. Everyone knows its happening but deals with it because they need the work.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I honestly wanna burn the mother down right now. I cant fuggin stand the shit. Until I find another job I am going to take advantage of the salary deal myself. I dont need more than 40 hours to make my check, so I will not work more than 40 hours. I can play the same game.
Hmm, salary workers still get paid 8 hrs holiday pay. My sister and her husband both work for the county and they get the holiday off with pay and get 8 hrs holiday pay as well. If my brother-in-law has to work on a holiday they give him holiday pay plus overtime pay. Something is fishy there. Go see the HR people at your work area. You need to speak to your boss about why the difference in pay for you and your co-worker doing that job on a holiday.

IL Duckshewter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hmm, salary workers still get paid 8 hrs holiday pay. My sister and her husband both work for the county and they get the holiday off with pay and get 8 hrs holiday pay as well. If my brother-in-law has to work on a holiday they give him holiday pay plus overtime pay. Something is fishy there. Go see the HR people at your work area. You need to speak to your boss about why the difference in pay for you and your co-worker doing that job on a holiday.
I'd be willing to guess that there is a Union involved in that deal, either Laborers of Teamsters. Not knocking Unions, I belong to two of them Teamsters and IAFF, but that kind of deal wouldn't be just given willingly on the employers part. That was probably negotiated somewhere along the line. I agree that speaking to the boss could be beneficial, but I wouldn't hold my breath on changing his mind.....

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm with Straycat on this one - with the Hmm part anyway - I'm salaried, our company has 8 paid holidays a year. I get paid those days. I would expect that it's probably fishy too if they're paying the hourly folks and not you. I don't know about there, but here it's pretty easy to call your state labor board and get an answer as to whether it is legal or not.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think your making the right decision XC and I know where your coming from i've been given the fuzzy end of the lolly pop more than once.First of all if you go stomping out the door it looks bad for the search.If you go to the authorities about a days pay all the other body shops in town are going to hear about it not good.If you make yourself a miserable prick to deal with they run the shop and can make your life miserable while your only a miner nuisance to them.If you find another job shit like this is going to happen there too.If they ask you to work on a holiday again as politely as you know how tell them how you worked and made no more money last time and don't want to do it again.There are times to stand up for yourself make sure when you do your making more misery for them than yourself.

badmts

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's the kind of stuff that employers PULL that makes me say "SUE THEM " and start an effort to UNIONIZE THE SHOP! The very idea of having to show up 56 point 5 hours when you gots all that good college learnin' goin fer ya! I wish I could hear you better but my boss telling me I was cut to 37 point 5 hrs. a week is still ringing in my ears. I think I am going to tell the next amputee I meet "HOW MUCH MY NEW SHOES BUG ME"!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals