• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pretty pissed off right now....

colby450xc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I feel I got screwed out of holiday pay, give me your opinions. Ill try to make a long story short.

I work for a privately owned body shop. I graduated from college with a bachelors in business administration in may. I have been lazily searching for a better job since then, my work figured I would be doing that so they offered me a raise. The raise involved me being paid salary, the same amount for 40-50 hours per week, after 50 I am paid time and a half for the figured hourly amount.

Last monday (day after new years) was designated as a paid holiday (paid 8 hours at hourly rate). The painter and I ended up working that monday to try and finish painting a big job, a fifty foot class A rv. COMPLETE PAINT JOB.

I ended up working 56.5 actual hours that week, so I received my hourly rate for 56.5 hours with 6.5 being time and a half for 6.5 hours. I however was not paid for the 8 hours of holiday that everyone else in the shop was paid. Only myself and the painter worked that monday. His holiday pay was added to his check.

I was denied that holiday because my boss feels that the 8 hours of holiday pay is only meant to make it so I would make my regular pay check because I am a salary employee and must work at least 40 hours weekly to make my regular salary check.

Am I pissed off for no reason, is he correct. I am so bothered by this that I try not to think about it. I feel like I got royally phucked out of 8 hours of pay when I worked my ass off all week. I worked 18 hour days trying to get that big job done and feel I got taken advantage of.:temper:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
yeah, you got fugged.

maybe mention if the others were bummed because they got cheated out of 8 hours normally spent at work, maybe they should not take the day off....and get the big job done.

learn the lesson and apply it in the future.:icon_thumby:

colby450xc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I honestly wanna burn the mother down right now. I cant fuggin stand the shit. Until I find another job I am going to take advantage of the salary deal myself. I dont need more than 40 hours to make my check, so I will not work more than 40 hours. I can play the same game.

MrRangerSir

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Yeah, salary can suck. I don't know why salary means 50+ hours a week nowadays. It used to be a 40 hour week, but paying you something over any minimum wage now seems to be a license for slavery.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
lesson learned:icon_thumby:

and applied.

the time will come....be patient, respectful and polite about it....but set it out like you did here.

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Save your paycheck stubs & write a journal (positive notes) on a daily basis relating to your salaried wages. When the time comes, take your paperwork to the Labor Board & sue-

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
When the time comes, take your paperwork to the Labor Board & sue-
Yea!!!!! Then next time i need body work itl cost tripple what it should.

That kinda thought process is why Merica' is in the crapper now. Tuff'n up tell the boss you think its B.S. if he get mouthy tell him to shove it and get a new job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Had some other stuff typed here, but somehow missed you were salary.

If I could make a recommendation: ALWAYS, ALWAYS stay away from being paid salary. You get a completely different set of rules, which allows what happened to you. Sorry man, but they are entitled. The salary people at my employer don't get OT at all, so you're lucky for getting what you got.

Last edited:

IL Duckshewter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
As someone who has been in the same boat, I understand why you are upset. That being said, IMHO, when you went to salary you loose out on "Holiday" pay. You worked a total of 56.5 hours, and they upheld their end of the salary deal by paying you 6.5 hours of time and a half. By being salaried, you will get paid for 50 hours of work even on the weeks when you may only work 40 hours, that is the perks of being salaried. You can always count on being paid for 50 hours regardless of hours worked. The "Holiday" pay benefits the "hourly" guys who lost a days work because of the Holiday. Therefore, the Company agrees to pay them 8 hours to compensate them for the day off. Trust me, I understand where you are coming from, but that's the way its gonna be when you are salaried.

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
So, you'd rather see someone get screwed and not say anything about it because you might get your bodywork cheaper? A little selfish there, isn't it?

A little coaxing from some friends, and a call to the Labor Commission got that resolved. The Labor Commission is there for a reason. Use it.
Fine call the L.C. But done sue!!!!
Why dont you get you balls outta your wifes purse and talk to your boss!!
I mean that playground talk, "im gonna sue you", "my dad can kick your dads ass" , "thats not fair, he got this and i only got that, im gonna sue",bla bla bla.
Thats what im saying, why is the USA all about sue, sue, sue. That kinda crap is why insurance and everthing else is over the top expencieve.
Got a problem with you job? Try talking out the problem with the boss/owner........
Cant resolve the issue, find a different F'N job!!!! Dont sue em, that just leads to the cost of EVERYTHING goin up.

There are times that sueing is a very good option. Just not for everthing ya know?!?!?!

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Fine call the L.C. But done sue!!!!
Why dont you get you balls outta your wifes purse and talk to your boss!!
I mean that playground talk, "im gonna sue you", "my dad can kick your dads ass" , "thats not fair, he got this and i only got that, im gonna sue",bla bla bla.
Thats what im saying, why is the USA all about sue, sue, sue. That kinda crap is why insurance and everthing else is over the top expencieve.
Got a problem with you job? Try talking out the problem with the boss/owner........
Cant resolve the issue, find a different F'N job!!!! Dont sue em, that just leads to the cost of EVERYTHING goin up.

There are times that sueing is a very good option. Just not for everthing ya know?!?!?!

When I typed that I didn't realize that he was being paid salary, which completely negates any argument he has. An hourly person would only need to call the labor commission, who will probably say "pay up or get shut down". In a nutshell, this is what they told my friend's employer. I do agree, no suing is necessary over a day's pay.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Not sure how it works in USA...but if I was salary and I worked a stat holiday the company would have to offer me either a lieu day off at my choosing (scheduled cooperatively with management) or DOUBLE TIME AND A HALF...not just time and a half...

Stat holidays in Canada are mandatory paid days off whether you work them or not...salary or not...if the USA is different in this regards then hush my mouth...

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Not sure how it works in USA...but if I was salary and I worked a stat holiday the company would have to offer me either a lieu day off at my choosing (scheduled cooperatively with management) or DOUBLE TIME AND A HALF...not just time and a half...

Stat holidays in Canada are mandatory paid days off whether you work them or not...salary or not...if the USA is different in this regards then hush my mouth...
Nothing mandatory that I know of as far as holidays. There are a few reasons an employer is required to give you time off such as jury duty, and the FMLA (family medical leave of absence) act. I'm not 100% positive, but I also think military leave of absence is required. The only one of these they are required to pay you is jury duty; and that might just be a state by state basis.

Not exactly a holiday though, unless it's a good case. :D

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Employers are not requried to pay you for holidays or sick days or vacation days. Its a perk to help the get employes in the first place.

Salary sucks sometimes. I worked in the oilfield for 5 years on salary. 24 hour call,7 days a week. Some weeks were 70 hours+. In 09 when the oil boom crashed, I took a 30% cut in salary but i didnt loose my job. There were WEEKS straight that i never got called but was still drawing a salary!!!

Sounds like you need to talk to your boss. If you cant come to a understanding, then move on.... It sucks but that might be the best option.
Todd S.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
So your trying to collect on time and a half plus holiday pay? Aside from the few hours of regular pay? Well since your salary, you must have made a written it verbal agreement. If you did then talk to your boss, if it was verbal and he denies it, or gives you the run around then dunno, quit I guess, unless you take legal recourse but them you got your word against his and it can get drawn out in court..etc hardly seems worth it. I say keep doing your job well but don't do the overtime screw him if he is screwing you, but without slacking in the job of course. Shit take some of the customers with you lol. Be the bigger man but look harder for that new job!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals