• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Old mechanic wants to know - What constitutes a tune up these days?

SteveinAlaska

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Started my 20 year mechanic career in 1970 in & around Chicago. Got ASE Certified about 1973-4 as I remember. Worked on automobiles until around 1980 then spent the rest of my time on lawn equipment, small farm tractors and motorcycles. So now at 70 yrs old, what should I ask for or expect for the tune up work to be on my 1992 Ranger 3.0 V6 motor when I take it in to let the shop take care of it for me. Mind you,I have had more than my share of clunkers that I kept cobbled together over the years. But now I have a real gem of a rig that I intend to keep for a while. Right now with the exception of the road trip to Anchorage from Fairbanks last August, I only average about 600 miles a month around town driving in temps that range from +80F to currently -20F when I go out tomorrow. Like to know your thoughts.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
For your 92, a basic tune up would be plugs, air filter, pcv valve, change the pine scented tree freshener on the rear view mirror, and whatever else might be mentioned in the manual..

but due to the age, in addition to the above also consider having the plug wires changed, and maybe an injector cleaning and intake cleaning with seafoam. check the vacuum hoses for cracks and leaks. And while this isn't a tune up item, I would also have the radiator hoses/ heater hoses checked and replaced if necessary and have the coolant flushed if it is over a few years old. consider changing the differential fluid and transmission fluid as well.

AJ

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
1. pcv
2. spark plugs (motorcraft only), plug wires, cap and rotor, check timing
3. clean maf sensor
4. possible fuel filter
5. fuel system cleaner
6. inspection of everyyhing else to make sure all is good
7. air filter
8. advance the timing some, it will give you better performance also
9. Check throttle cable for slack, mostly it will have alot. there is a mod that can be used with wire ties, and when used the engine returns to life.

These older 3.0's will last forever, and are real easy to work on. They are a higher rpm engine, don't be concerned with having it in higher rpms as that is where they perform best. The auto behind the 3.0 makes the it sort of gutless, yet it does work. I have a 5spd behind my 3.0, and it does wonders with it. With you being 70 young, sure your not a hot rodder, and living in Alaska the auto will work just fine for you. Would like to see this gem of your 92.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I agree with the above.

On a 92 a tune-up should look very much like what you were used to in the 70s with the exception of carb adjustments.

I would get some sort of top-engine cleaner run through, as well as a fuel system cleaner. Seafoam is good enough for a DIYer, if you are paying to have it done at a shop I'd be insisting on BG or Valvoline Professional series products.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Run some injector cleaner through it and wash out all the cup holders.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm not really a 3.0L guy... but what about the camshaft synchronizer? Any maintenance he should do there... I've heard some horror stories.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
A 92 would have a fuel filter that should be replaced, I'd want to clean the throttle body- with throttle body cleaner NOT carb cleaner- and the IAC- idle air control valve. I would also only use Motorcraft spark plugs. I have never been a fan of BG products, I talked to a BG rep and he mentioned dumping his "cleaner" into automatic transmissions, then running it for a while and flushing it out with fresh fluid and adding his "conditioner" to it. I sent him away, nothing goes in an automatic transmission except clean transmission fluid. I overhauled a few transmissions that had been dosed with "conditioner" that promised to soften up still seals, it softened them up all right, partially dissolved would be a better word.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not really a 3.0L guy... but what about the camshaft synchronizer? Any maintenance he should do there... I've heard some horror stories.
Clean the cup holders and change the air freshener. LMAO!!

I've had mine 20 years, it's a 98 3.0. Never done a ting regarding the cam synchro. I'm at the point with mine, that I'm just driving it til it goes BOOM! Then off to a resting place it goes. It's my daily driver beater.

As for a tune up, just bought a 2007 Mustang with 115,000 miles. Already done the oil, fuel filter and coolant. I have recently been getting a P0300 code for random misfire, no number after the code denoting which cylinder it is. So I have new plugs, coils and wires on the way. Start with the simple stuff first. It likely still has the oem plugs in it, as I find most people never bother changing them. Go from there.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hello SteveInAlaska, sorry I missed your introduction, welcome to TRS

Very nice vehicle you have there sir.
I cannot possibly ad to the massive amount of tune-up info you already have.
Just wanted to say hello, and wish you every success in knowing, or finding, a mechanic diligent and competent enough to do the maintenance on it well :)

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Just this...

s-l300.jpg

SteveinAlaska

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Wow! Surprised by the quick responses so soon. Well, in my circle of friends are a couple of young mechanics that are also in the local antique auto clubs. They also have tech school training just like I had before actually getting there hands dirty with the real world experiences. Thru all these years I still can talk shop with mechanics I've known.
In regards to the cooling & fuel system, dealt with a filler tube fuel leak & so fuel system checks OK now, at the same time heater blower motor was replaced, radiator cleaned and flushed along with replacement of ORIGINAL heater hoses. I had to deal with that 1st generation of pollution control devices so thanks for the tips on cam synchro, throttle body, IAC & such. Will replace plugs, wires, filters with Motorcraft parts as per the recommendations here. Was employed as a Ford dealer mechanic in 1975-76 so OEM makes sense to me. Advancing timing I can see too.
I just posted images of my rig in the Photo and Video section when the odometer rolled up to all zeros.
In regards to pine scent air freshener - we make the dogs ride in the pickup bed :yahoo:!!
On the trip to Anchorage this past August - the Parks Highway was done at 70 mph with the cruise control on, AC set & original Philco AM/FM cassette player rocking the 50s rock & roll. Do know that it will do 85 as I kept some cat in a Dodge Charger looking in his rear view mirror as we went rolling past Denali (Mt.McKinley) passing those @%^&!@ tourists & sightseeing buses. Once a hot rodder - always a hot rodder , I'm gonna paint flames on the side of my wheelchair when I go to the old folks home.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
No adjustable timing on a 3.0, no distributor...

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
A 92 3.0 would still have a distributor... EDIS was 95+

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Ok, weird, I figured with the 4.0L being EDIS in '91 and the 2.3L being EDIS in '89 the 3.0L would be too...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals