• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Official 4R44E Problem Thread!

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Intermediat+OverDrive Bands tightened via 2 Studs with 2 Nuts on Left Drivers side of Transmission

Tightening Procedure:
~ Hold BandStud In Place, Loosen JamNut
~ Tighten BandStud To 10LbFt 120LbIn CW Then BackOff 1.50~2.00 Turns CCW
~ Hold BandStud In Place, Tighten JamNut To 35~45LbFt

Video specificly on adjusting the Bands

More details in these threads:
Thanks. I appreciate the info.

FJB

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have seen a great deal of issues with the 4R44E transmission offered in a number of Rangers. I am on my second transmission in my truck and am in the process of working out a slight 2-3 flare. No solution as of yet but I am working on research. While conducting this research, I thought it would be a great idea to have all of the resources in one place so I decided to start this thread.

!!Please post any problems you have encountered with your 4R44E and solutions to such problems!!

Thanks
I am having the same problems, I have a 2.5L in my 2000 ranger and when it is cold it shifts and wors fine, when it gets hot, it starts slipping, hard shifting, etc. It has reverse, I am believing it is a valve body problem.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
...transmission works fine when it is cold
...2.5L auto transmission...4r44e
...hot it starts slipping, hard shifting
...has reverse
...valve body problem?
Miles on Vehicle? Miles on Transmission?
ATF Level+Color+Smell? How long since ATF+Filter Change & Band Adjust?
TechServiceBulletin 2010\Earlier for ValveBody Kit+BondedGasket repair in this era 4r\5r Trans; has this been done?

TripleM

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have seen a great deal of issues with the 4R44E transmission offered in a number of Rangers. I am on my second transmission in my truck and am in the process of working out a slight 2-3 flare. No solution as of yet but I am working on research. While conducting this research, I thought it would be a great idea to have all of the resources in one place so I decided to start this thread.

!!Please post any problems you have encountered with your 4R44E and solutions to such problems!!

Thanks
I have a 2001 ford ranger SOHC 4.0 and I picked up a transmission out of a 2000 ranger with a 4.0 OHV and the transmissions are identical except for 1 thing, the transmission I picked up yesterday out of the OHV 4.0 has only 1 speed sensor hook up and my transmission that's still in my 2001 ranger with the 4.0 SOHC has 2 speed sensor hook ups. What's gonna happen if I install it and leave a speed sensor hook up unhooked?

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've had my 98 Ranger 23 years this month. 3.0 auto. 185,000+ miles. Transmission has never been out of the truck. It has a custom done kit and 4.10 gears. And I manually shift the F... out of it. Downshift it at every stop light or sign. All the way down to first. Filter and fluid have been changed twice in all that time. With the shift kit and 4.10 gears, it bangs into every gear nicely.

I had more trouble with the 5R55 in my 2007 4.0 Mustang. Finally decided to sell that car. I'll keep the Ranger as my daily drive beater. It's a great running truck.

My friend Rick owns Ace Transmission in Oklahoma City. I asked him once if putting it in neutral at long nap-inducing stop lights helps, because I've been doing that since I owned the truck, and in my LIGHTNING. He said it sure does, when idling at stop lights, the clutches are slipping. Put it in neutral, no mo slip. Fluid goes out to the cooler and back to the pan. Maybe that's why I haven't had a single problem with mine?

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a 2001 ford ranger SOHC 4.0 and I picked up a transmission out of a 2000 ranger with a 4.0 OHV and the transmissions are identical except for 1 thing, the transmission I picked up yesterday out of the OHV 4.0 has only 1 speed sensor hook up and my transmission that's still in my 2001 ranger with the 4.0 SOHC has 2 speed sensor hook ups. What's gonna happen if I install it and leave a speed sensor hook up unhooked?
I was looking at transfer cases from suppliers earlier, just to see their $800.00 prices (plus $400.00 w/no core return, as opposed to the yard cost) and they often said 2/TWO speed sensor holes, I believe one fore and one aft

Hmmm, yours is 2WD eh? Sorry, I've been stuck on 4W for a bit

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Need a 2001+Later version of 5r55e; 2000+Earlier had different sensor connections; they are NOT swappable\compatible.
Also get a tranny with appropriate 2WD or 4WD tailend to match your old tranny; these also are NOT swappable.

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none but it is a convertible
Tire Size
stock
have 3 4r44e transmissions in my yard. one is the oem from the '95 2.3 2wd ranger, my daily driver. two is the aamco rebuild; worst idea i ever had. 4 trannies in 3 years then they refused to honor the warranty because my odo is broken. third one is from a '96 with 89k on it. any way to tell them apart? i mean like matching numbers. where would i look for the numbers? i drove the aamco until it died and put a 5MOD in but now i want to go back to an automatic (knee trouble). the 96 is stripped out and waiting for the trip to the shredder. the 95 has about 400k (figured from 180k when it broke in '09 and an average of 40 miles each way to the job sites) and is still running fairly strong.

answered my own question, sort of; still don't know if there are matching numbers but i swapped trans once before the aamco shit show and i jammed the torque converter on the shaft trying to put it in the donor truck. no 2 is too clean and has a non ford parts sticker on it. so no 3 is the 89k trannie.
but reading the descriptions in the tech section, i wonder if the 5r44 will fit in the same places the 4r does. sounds like it would just need the brain changed. am i wrong?

Last edited:

Norbert

EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well, i have problem with the external wiring harness of my Ford Ranger Splash 1995 the one that goes to transmission: broken ,burned and can't find a replacement ,any suggestion i try the web and nothing?

Attachments

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, i have problem with the external wiring harness of my Ford Ranger Splash 1995 the one that goes to transmission: broken ,burned and can't find a replacement ,any suggestion i try the web and nothing?
Wrecking yard?

Norbert

EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Wrecking yard?,i visit few yesterday and found nothing.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Do they have an online cars lists, or maybe even a NEW addition list?
I wouldn't tell them what I'm looking for, just maybe trying to keep up with anything I might need or want to use, nor would I go straight to it when I did look one over

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
...problem with the external wiring harness of my Ford Ranger Splash 1995 ...transmission broken ,burned and can't find a replacement
I know they do sell new 4r44e\5r55e Transmission internal harness 16pin Plug, opposite connecting side of what you need.
I never seen\found anyone selling the mating external harness 16pin Socket.
Below is a Pic & PDF on the internal harness.
Is that external 16pin Socket melted beyond repair; perhaps you can re-pin & ButtSplice in new wires?
2001.Ford_Tran5r55e_ValveBody_Elec.Cabl_Ford.f5tz-7z409-b.GIF

Attachments

Last edited:

carlos_diazca

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
got my "new" 97 going, but has a trans issue, no 1st gear but makes noise when in drive or first. can put in 2nd and it will move, shift to drive above 30 and will act like a normal automatic (2-4 gears all work) until you slow down and trans wants to be in 1st again. going to try a band adjustment but im sure something is broke. wish it was o/d that was out, a 3.0 starting in 2nd is pretty sluggish. anyone ever heard of a issue like this? i was under the assumption that if 1st was out then reverse would be too, but i have reverse. just no 1st.
Hello, I know it's been a long time, but now I'm having the same problem you had in 2016.
with a 1999 ranger 2.5 automatic of course and it's on the gear lever in drive it doesn't work if I put it in 2nd gear it works normally and then when I switch to drive it continues with its changes correctly
how did you solve this?

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Technically, I never did, I just drove it that way, start in 2nd then shift to D above 30mph. I ended up parting it out, made a trailer out of the back half, the engine/transmission went to south carolina, the front frame & attached suspension went to toledo. I suspect it was a band but Im not for sure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals