• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

OEM Power Door locks

4.No

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Harder than you think to decipher 12-year-old forum posts with web links that don't work.

My truck is a 2000 4.0 XLT non-power truck. (No power door locks, windows, mirrors). My skill level is sufficient to install cruise control and do the overhead console mod to a factory look and function, so what I am after is installing power door locks with the remote keyless entry OEM is my style and the theme here. My truck is NOT prewired, I have already verified it's not prewired, and I don't care about the door switches, all I'm after is the key fob/power lock function. I'm hoping someone can provide me with insight and technical resources to do this, most of the forums are vague, cover all power mirrors, windows, and locks, or cover aftermarket systems with 50 relays and this and that, which I don't care about. It doesn't have to be perfect, if I need to modify the existing wiring to the RAP module, ECU, or modify the doors, or what have you I can, the goal is a factory look and function as best as possible. *If there are specific forums covering just power locks or that are just like this one, send them instead please*

Anything is appreciated, thanks.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual

The electronic door lock control system consists of the remote anti-theft personality (RAP) module, and two three-button transmitters. The RAP module controls the door locks through the use of external relays located in the relay box, on the LHsideof the lower instrument panel. The RAP module also controls the anti-theft system.

Keyless entry remote transmitters are programmable. All transmitters for the vehicle must be set at the same time. When troubleshooting the system, both transmitters are needed to perform the pinpoint tests.

To unlock the driver door and disarm the anti-theft system, press the unlock button on the keyless entry remotetransmitter one time. To unlock both doors, press the unlock button a second time within five seconds.

To lock all doors and arm the anti-theft system, press the lock button on the keyless entry remote transmitter one time.To confirm that the doors have locked and the anti-theft system has armed, press the lock button a second time within five seconds. Thehorn will chirp once to notify that all doors are closed and locked and the alarm is armed. The horn will chirp twice if anydoor is still ajar.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Welcome to TRS.

I'm probably the world's biggest fan of OEM equipment and keeping these trucks stock, but in some cases going aftermarket makes more sense. I honestly think that that may the case here.

I'm not as familiar with the newer year models versus the older trucks (1995 and up is too "new" to suite me!), but it would be relatively easy to add a basic remote-only power lock system with practically no alterations to the truck's existing electronics.

Without door switches, you're looking at as little as adding two actuators, and the module itself. Some aftermarket RKE systems have the relays onboard, or if external then you'll also need two relays, and a third relay only if you want driver door unlock separate from both doors unlocking.

Not complicated and sounds to be well within your skill level. What I'm not sure of here, is if your year model truck already has OEM antitheft, and if so, how that would work with an added RKE. I understand your wanting it- RKE is one of my favorite "luxury" options.

4.No

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Franklin that is a big help, is there anyway you could get the wiring diagrams for the RAP module

4.No

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Welcome to TRS.

I'm probably the world's biggest fan of OEM equipment and keeping these trucks stock, but in some cases going aftermarket makes more sense. I honestly think that that may the case here.

I'm not as familiar with the newer year models versus the older trucks (1995 and up is too "new" to suite me!), but it would be relatively easy to add a basic remote-only power lock system with practically no alterations to the truck's existing electronics.

Without door switches, you're looking at as little as adding two actuators, and the module itself. Some aftermarket RKE systems have the relays on board, or if external then you'll also need two relays, and a third relay only if you want the driver door to unlock separate from both doors unlocking.

Not complicated and sounds to be well within your skill level. What I'm not sure of here, is if your year model truck already has OEM antitheft, and if so, how that would work with an added RKE. I understand your wanting it- RKE is one of my favorite "luxury" options.
Yeah, I don't believe it has antitheft, I'm going to even see if I have the RAP module, All I have is the theft light and PATS key.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Franklin that is a big help, is there anyway you could get the wiring diagrams for the RAP module
Each one of the 3 diagrams in post #2 has the rke module wiring in them. That is all the diagrams show, they do not show one diagram with the module and all it's connections.

4.No

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Each one of the 3 diagrams in post #2 has the rke module wiring in them. That is all the diagrams show, they do not show one diagram with the module and all it's connections.
Alright that's fine, I have discovered I don't have a RAP Module, so I'm now trying to determine whether or not I even want to attempt such a task. It's like trying to convert the manual HVAC panel to EATC HVAC pannel. All the wiring for the RAP module would have to be done, install plus door locks and all.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't do OEM door locks, its not like the key and Fob are one unit, it a separate Fob on your year

Just use a 3rd party unit, add fused power and that's all, especially if you don't want door panel switches
You can add a Park light relay if you want lights to flash on lock and unlock, I never liked the horn honk myself but also doable

2 wires to each door, lock relay and unlock relay(both doors same time), fused 12v and a ground wire
Ford put their antenna in the A pillar drivers side

In a 2000 without "power group" you won't have the Park light relay, but you can add your own 12v/30amp relay on the Main light switches White/black stripe wire
Thats the OUT to Park lights Brown wire

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm planning to put a simple keyless system in the Bronco II... I've had a FOB for decades now and it feels too weird not having one and I just like that convenience.

Not trying to highjack this thread... but... @RobbieD do you have a system you've put in your trucks... just simple lock and unlock... maybe a confirmation toot of the horn?

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
@4.No

I tried adding power windows/locks in my '99. And after a couple frustrating starts, pulled the dash out of a truck that had the exact options I wanted, and went from there, i.e. moved keys/PATS/gauge console as that turned out to be less work.

Issues:
The airbag module needed to be at same version as the the GEM​
The RABS didn't work because the GEM that I had pulled wanted 4WABS​
There was something to do with a module on back wall of the SuperCab for the wireless fob to work.​
There was something with the 4wd module that wasn't working​
I know I wanted fog lights and there was an issue with that too.​
The dash swap was ?6? bolts, couple vacuum connections, ?5? wiring connections and disconnecting the steering column. After which everything plugged in a worked.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I tried adding power windows/locks in my '99. And after a couple frustrating starts, pulled the dash out of a truck that had the exact options I wanted, and went from there, i.e. moved keys/PATS/gauge console as that turned out to be less work.
Thank you for adding some insight on doing this to a year model that's closer to OP's 2000 model. I don't have any direct experience on anything later than '94 year model trucks, but I do know that as these trucks became "smarter" it's increasingly difficult to add or modify things.

That's why I think that, all things considered, it would easiest for the OP to just add a simple aftermarket RKE system to his truck.

Not trying to highjack this thread... but... @RobbieD do you have a system you've put in your trucks... just simple lock and unlock... maybe a confirmation toot of the horn?
Sorry, but I don't have a recommendation. Funny, but in a past life a long time ago, I installed aftermarket accessories and then worked for a car alarm manufacturer. So I used deal with this stuff every day, but I've been out of it for way too long to know the current market, and the nuances of installing into the newer vehicles.

The last truck I bought (a '94 Explorer) had an aftermarket RKE on it when I bought it, and maybe it's just my getting lazy in my old age, but damn they are handy to have.

I've been meaning to dig through all of the old boxes of "stuff" I have from the old days, and see if I have some old RKE receivers to put in my other trucks. Sounds to me like a great retirement project.

@Uncle Gump , when you get ready to do your B2, shoot me a PM and I'll help you sort out what's needed.

4.No

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
@don4331 Thank you for the insight, the keyless entry is convenient that's all, if I was pre-wired with the RAP Module I would have installed everything by now, I think I am going to keep it the way it is at least for now. If I do go ahead and perform the install I will be sure to document it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals