• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need help thinking.

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
ok guys so here is the deal. i need to cut my family(me+GF) gas costs down. trying to figure out a way to do that with minimal investments and right now not sure if a new rig is the right way so il go with what i have now and see if you have ideas on improving what i have or correcting my ideas.

Holly's Truck:

1993 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4x4 with a auto and a 3.9L V6 milage rated is 13/17 combined is 14 but i suspect thats a bit low estamite and she should be doing a bit better then that. it has 146,000 and runs ok.

not sure what to do there other then a good tuneup. ideas?

My Jeep:

1998 Grand Cherokee 4x4 all time. has the 5.2L V8 and 156,000 on it, engine runs great tranny is a bit off has body damage that i think may affect the mpg a bit. rated Mpg is 12/17 combined 14.6 i do get better then that cause when i drive i try to be easy on it and check my mpg gauge and i average 16-18.

now i know its gunna be this thats the biggest gas user no matter what but im not sure what is proven to help with mpgs other then not driving it unless i need the thing(thats what im trying to do)

thoughts guys?

ok now this is where i think il be able to see more money saved:

Drive my B2. but i face some issues here:
1: its not road legal as i need to transfer title and get new tabs but caint afford the 80-90 bucks right now
2:no insurance on it yet cost wouldnt be too bad..if i get a job
3: needs engine work, the carb is messed up and it only went 150 miles on a half tank.

that should be able to get 18-20 mpgs with a good running 2.8 right?

let me know anything:shok:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
make sure the common stuff is done on the dodge and jeep

clean air filters, good fuel filters, check tire pressure, watch driving habits, things like that.

Xandor

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88, 89, 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 2.9 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
You could try a trade on craiglsit? My dads got and older 3.9 stick carbed dakota, looks like trash but get 25MPG. I thought he was doing his math wrong till I drove it while.

I shelled out the money for a cobalt and while its just a simple car I cet 35MPG easy. So much more peace of mind while driving.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
but it takes a long time for a new(er) car to benefit you..

even a $5000 car that gets double the gas mileage, you gotta wait till the car is paid for before you benefit from it. you gotta think about that monthly payment and gas (even tho its twice the mpg's, it still takes gas)

Xandor

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88, 89, 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 2.9 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
Oh, this may sound stupid but have you ever really showed your GF how to drive and save gas? IE coasting to a stop rather than gas it till the last sec, etc. My wife wont let me tell her anything, and when she drives I want to puke at the gas waste.

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You could try a trade on craiglsit? My dads got and older 3.9 stick carbed dakota, looks like trash but get 25MPG. I thought he was doing his math wrong till I drove it while.

I shelled out the money for a cobalt and while its just a simple car I cet 35MPG easy. So much more peace of mind while driving.
i want to keep the Jeep because i got it from my mom so i know the history since i think 04 or so. i got it for FAR less the bluebook. i know the mpg factor sucks but i think the history works in the favor.

i wouldnt mind a small car but where i live it beats cars up and winter would be hard.

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Oh, this may sound stupid but have you ever really showed your GF how to drive and save gas? IE coasting to a stop rather than gas it till the last sec, etc. My wife wont let me tell her anything, and when she drives I want to puke at the gas waste.
yup im lucky she knows how to drive both to eek out mileage and offroad:headbang:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Lucas fuel treatment.

I know it sounds stupid, but I do see a mile or two more with it.

Buy a little bottle, and a BIG bottle. Use the little bottle and then refill it out of the big one. I figured out that the big bottle is about 3/4 the cost per oz.

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Lucas fuel treatment.

I know it sounds stupid, but I do see a mile or two more with it.

Buy a little bottle, and a BIG bottle. Use the little bottle and then refill it out of the big one. I figured out that the big bottle is about 3/4 the cost per oz.
thats not a bad idea, im sure the fuel systems could use a cleaning.

the jeep an dodge both have new fuel pumps and filters in the past 2 years

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
will a duraspark conversion up mpg higher?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
The best thing is not to drive at all and if that is not possable...bike to work, walk to work, bus to work!!!
If you can't do anything like that then get a small scooter for around town or get a three wheeler Can Am and use that to commute to work and run all your errands. My wife and I will ride our bikes to get small amounts of groceries instead of running any of the vehicals. It is fun and we live near every thing. Lots of sidewalks to ride on. We have several vehicals and 2 really get great gas milage. We use them for more heavy shopping days and vacations where we are not going camping or off road driving.
Just use your head and decide which vehicle you need to drive for more shorter distances and which vehicle you need to use more for long distances.

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The best thing is not to drive at all and if that is not possable...bike to work, walk to work, bus to work!!!
If you can't do anything like that then get a small scooter for around town or get a three wheeler Can Am and use that to commute to work and run all your errands. My wife and I will ride our bikes to get small amounts of groceries instead of running any of the vehicals. It is fun and we live near every thing. Lots of sidewalks to ride on. We have several vehicals and 2 really get great gas milage. We use them for more heavy shopping days and vacations where we are not going camping or off road driving.
Just use your head and decide which vehicle you need to drive for more shorter distances and which vehicle you need to use more for long distances.
if i was closer to town i would bike or run but im 10 miles outta town, 4 wheelers or dirtbikes are a bit hard to get into town safely. if its for light trips we use the Dakota

ETA: Stray did you mean pedal bike or vroom vroom bike? cause il ride a bike but i sure as shit wont pedal my happy ass 10 miles

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I know how you feel there.

But even a ninja 250 or something would help. But then again you gotta cover the initial cost and wait months for it to pay for itself. After it pays for itself; it'll save you money.

I looked at buying something for better MPG's. Around $3-5k. Then I started thinking-- $3000 will cover my gas (let's say $60 a week) for almost a year!!

nine-teen91stxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1977
Make / Model
Ford, Ford
Engine Size
245 cid of fury, 6.6l
Transmission
Manual
hey mn... you gotta wait for the state to open back up to even transfer the b2, and get tabs. fyi lie your ass off when you go to transfer the title. its like 20 bucks a week after 2 weeks once you buy it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals