• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

my 2.9 running rich= flame thrower lol

slow96gt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok my 88 ranger 2.9 has been running super pig rich i have no idea why, i replaced the map sensor and 02 which helped all the surging it was doing around 2k-3k rpms but it runs great just at idle its super diesel black smoke rich since i cant seem to figure out the problem i decided to make a flame thrower out of it lol but if anyone knows what could be wrong that would help put alot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f68IMFDetw

Last edited:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Could be a failing fuel pressure regulator. Best way to diagnose if this is it is checking the fuel pressure with a gauge. Also a quick check is if you have fuel in the vacuum line from the FPR to the lower intake.

jhammel85

ok my 88 ranger 2.9 has been running super pig rich i have no idea why, i replaced the map sensor and 02 which helped all the surging it was doing around 2k-3k rpms but it runs great just at idle its super diesel black smoke rich since i cant seem to figure out the problem i decided to make a flame thrower out of it lol but if anyone knows what could be wrong that would help put alot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f68IMFDetw
:shok: You made a flame thrower out of it? lol...

Well, My truck ran rich just like that when the regulator went bad. Check the pressure. Should be 35-40 with the key off and somewhere between 30-40 when running. Preferably 35 PSI if I recall correctly.

When my regulator went out, it was pegging the gauge at 100 psi+. That is the only time I have ever had one totally fail like that. Also, the diaphragm wasn't ruptured and leaking fuel into the vacuum (might be worth checking that vac line)

slow96gt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yea thanks guy but i got so mad at it tonight i pulled the 2.9 and doing the 4.0 swap so this should be fun lol i was getting around 2-4 mpg like that and i couldnt handle it anymore

slow96gt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yep around two to four it blacked smoked worse than a diesel, something was causing it to run super rich

Acepilot1023

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
How much do you want for the 2.9 you pulled? :D

ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
should of taken a video of it blowing smoke lol

Acepilot1023

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Name your price, and I will deff consider it.

Last edited:

Acepilot1023

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, deff next time we go to the mountains

Mike Tonon

Pipe the exhaust back to the engine intake and your mpg's will improve!!! lol

ereinhardt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 & 1990
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, Im currently having the same troubles with my 87 2.9L. ive replaced the 02 sensor, map sensor, temp sensor, egr sensor, cleaned the egr, changed the plugs, wires coil, checked grounds, throttle pos sensor, checked the fuel pressure regulator and still the same thing. after burning so rich my cat plugged up, so i cut it out and just connected with a straightpipe, but still doing the same thing. ive checked all over online and its driving me nuts because no one seems to know and there handfuls of people who have the same trouble. my next step is the computer. apparently if its been jumped frequently it can surge and fry the computer. which makes sense because i had the truck parked all summer because i was driving my 5.0L. the battery died and everytime i needed to start it i just jumped it to keep it in running order. ever since i started driving it full tim again im getting TERRIBLE gas milage and super rich black smoke. so i took out the computer and it said "Note: only for 3.0l Taurus/sable only" i should be getting a new computer this week and i'll see if its the solution, even though you've already pulled the motor

slow96gt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yea icouldnt figure itout either so i said screw it, the 4.0was the best thing ive ever done to this truck

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals