• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual Warn hub swap

clark89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Ok so i currently have a 94 ranger with blown auto hubs, I want to swap out the autos for warn manuals, but i have a hybrid 35. Now instead of putting them on my hybrid i was thinking of just swapping my front axle out for a true Dana 35 from an explorer, but i was told the manual hubs wont work on an explorer Dana 35. I dont see why they wouldnt, everything is pretty much the same, im not to sure but i think the only difference is the hubs. Just want to know if this will work, and if so is it the same process as if i was putting them on my ranger axle.

O and just so i dont get any, why do you wana get rid of your hybrid questions, i want to be able to put on at least 33s maybe 35s some day.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
the hubs are the same between the hybrid and true D35, the only difference is the pumpkin and the axle shafts going into it. so all you need from an explorer or whatever is the pumpkin and axle shafts, that'll save you from having to do an alignment...

clark89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
k i thought that they were the same but the dumbass at bensons told me that there was no way that it would work, i think hes new.

I have never swapped axle shafts or a pumpkin before, what would be easier, swapping out the whole front end or just the axles shafts.

Also just a thought, i want to upgrade to bigger 5-670x u-joints, and found a set of chromoly dana 35 outer, would these work with the new u-jonts so that all i have to modify is the internal shafts.

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Minor thread derail.

You found a bensons in Ottawa that is open? 2 years ago they build their stores and then closed them all!

clark89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Theres one in Carleton place where i live, its about 20 min from ottawa, and less then 5 from my house. And even better i get a discount!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Also just a thought, i want to upgrade to bigger 5-670x u-joints, and found a set of chromoly dana 35 outer, would these work with the new u-jonts so that all i have to modify is the internal shafts.
They should, yes. Be sure to get the (Warn) Jeep #37780 locking hubs if you're gonna go that route, otherwise you're wasting your $$$ (also, the 5-760x joint isn't bigger physically, it's just stronger).

Swapping the center chunk isn't that big of a deal, but I would take into consideration the condition of your axle vs. the one you're getting, and base your decision whether to swap just the chunk or the whole thing on that.

07rangerfx4lv2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
im not a fan of the guy at bensons, told me to sell my ranger and buy a fullsized

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The D35 "Hybred" already has the same joing as all "real" D35's and most D44's

The INNER shafts and diff are weaker than "the real thing", but frankly if your truck came from the factory with a "hybred" you don't have enough torque to break it anyway.

AD

clark89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I know i dont have the torque to break my axles, thats not the reason im thinking of doing the swap. I would like to go with atleats 33s for now, and some day go with 35s, and i was told that a hybrid can handle 31s at most.

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Theres one in Carleton place where i live, its about 20 min from ottawa, and less then 5 from my house. And even better i get a discount!
Even the one in Almonte is closed! thats just up the road from you.

I think all the bright yellow siding they put up cost so much they had to close all but yours!

clark89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I think there is a bensons in Arnprior to, its about 30-40 min from me, and where abouts was the one in almonte.

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
If you are coming in from the 417 side its right past the new traffic circle on the left. Across the street from that silly mall they put up thats been mostly empty for the last 3 years.

And I am 20 minutes from Arnprior. I only make it into Arnprior on the weekends. and its always closed on the weekends.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals