• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5R2 vss questions

Squarewheels287

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Getting my ducks in a row for a V8 swap, plan on using an m5r2. I see alot of suggestions for the 1997 and up transmission, just wondering if there is any years to go to that still use the vss for the speedo or if there's any work arounds for the issues. I did some searches but couldn't find any answers.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The M5OD's all have integrated bell housings so each was engine specific
M5R2 was used from 1988 thru 2008
M5R1 1988 thru 2011

The 1997-2003 M5R2s from a 4.2l V6 had same bolt pattern as 5.0l OHV
And its shifter was in the same place as a Ranger's M5R1
Earlier M5R2s for the 5.0l OHV in full size trucks had shifter farther forward, stick would hit the Ranger dash in 1st, 3rd, and 5th, but shifter arm could be heated and bent, need a custom made floor plate as well

But as far as I know the M5R2 output shaft was machined to use a Drive speedometer gear in all years, the tail shaft housing just was not drilled and tapped for the speedo/VSS after 1994, could be 1993
So if you got the later model M5R2 you could add the drive gear and older tailshaft housing
You 1997 M5R1 speedo/VSS driven unit should fit, I think there was only the one size of these combo units on manual or automatics, Rangers or full size, Ford cars as well

But worst case you can get a Dakota Digital SGI-100BT, seen here: https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=1192/mode=prod/prd1192.htm
$115

You can then use the VSS on rear axle or OSS on top rear of transmission to make the 8,000PPM AC signal the speedo, cruise, and computer need in a 1997 Ranger
Rear axle ABS runs 25,000ppm, OSS 32,000ppm the 100BT converts that to 8,000ppm, the Ford standard Pulse Per Mile
Also allows easier calibration for changes in tire size, if that matters

Squarewheels287

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
That helps, that Dakota digital adapter might be the way to go, thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its not cheap but a For Sure way to do it

These new models also have Bluetooth so you can put them under the dash out of the way and calibrate with cell phone app
Don't have to push the buttons, lol

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I swapped gear set and top cover from the 97+ V6 trans into an 88-91 V8 case. This adds gear drive VSS and don't have to drill the bell housing bolt holes out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals