• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' the posts that you read.

Kirbys 1991 Ranger Build Up and Solid Axle Swap

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Man. I am thinking full float 60 for this deal. Cost wise it's hard to beat.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 80CBDBD15DC160 Expires: January 4th, 2021

Kirby N.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This truck is basically what I had dreamed up for my 86. Love the Cavalry Blue and the STX decals!

Question: I am currently in the process of mounting some fiberglass bedsides and I was curious what you used to secure the inner top lip of the fiberglass along the top of the bed. I was thinking of using the Autofab grommets, 1 every 8 inches or so.

Amazing build, I am subscribed or "watching" for sure!
Thank you. I used some rivets for mounting bodies from Summit racing. Pre painted black. I could get the part number for you. I used them about every 3". Could have been overkill.

Man. I am thinking full float 60 for this deal. Cost wise it's hard to beat.
Yeah, but they are big. They dont have tone rings so my rear anti lock brakes will work. And I dont know if full floats 60s can be 5 on 5.5. And I dont like the idea of using some goofy chevy brakes or something on it. I With the truss and the Chromo axle shafts this thing will be close to as strong as a full float 60.

I did consider buying a High Pinion dynatrac 60 that was for sale on craigslist, but I am glad I didn't.

Kirby N.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A couple pics of taking my kid snowboarding a couple weeks ago

IMG_4794.jpeg
IMG_4791.jpeg

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Yeah, but they are big. They dont have tone rings so my rear anti lock brakes will work. And I dont know if full floats 60s can be 5 on 5.5. And I dont like the idea of using some goofy chevy brakes or something on it. I With the truss and the Chromo axle shafts this thing will be close to as strong as a full float 60.

I did consider buying a High Pinion dynatrac 60 that was for sale on craigslist, but I am glad I didn't.

i suggested it because your already 5 on 5.5. a later E series has the tone ring. and disk brakes. you can turn down and redrill hub/rotor...

just depends on carrier scenario as to whether its prime.

though i would just run 8 lug anyway.

big? compared to a 7.5...sure....compared to the axle you have? not so sure. i have broken too many 9's and its always more money and i have to wait and order stuff.....

i am still tripping over e series axles. 9 inch axles with desirable characteristics are non existent.

so it is just from a cost and readily available parts perspective. the 9 inch is lighter.....much lighter. those benefits should not be discounted. very highvalue..

if you never have an issue with it....it will be a great investment.

but they are custom.

but i also run factory available gears. 100-150 bux and i am golden. there is a weight penalty...and a bit of clearance, but it is a smooth housing and dont snaggle too bad.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
keep making memories with the children.

Kirby N.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Jim put me on the front page and on the insta today. That was nice of him.

@bobbywalter- I am a little too late to change directions- but those pieces of information earlier might have changed my direction before I was committed to this 8.8 (you mentioned 9" a lot- I am building an 8.8). On my exploder I considered building a big bearing EB 9". I even bought one. I wanted to learn about 9" anyway. Then I compared 9" strength vs. 8.8" and decided it wasn't worth the effort. So I sold it.

The Moser axles I ordered had one minor mistake- the holes for the wheel lugs (press in) are the wrong size. Stock bronco/ f150/ exploder are .62 holes. I ordered .685 holes for some reason. I can find some lugs that will fit- they are from Moser (after looking at the part store extensively). However, I am considering sending the shafts back to be re drilled and tapped. The holes for the lugs are dangerously close to the outside edge of the flange, leaving very little material on the outside of the holes. If I have them drilled and tapped for 1/2"x20 threaded lugs, I will add almost 3/32" to the outside of the holes. That seems like a good trade off. I also hear the threaded lugs are stronger than the press fit. It will cost me some cash on shipping. The service isn't much, its the shipping that might hurt. I will call moser on monday and see what I come up with. I talked to local buddy who has a machine shop and he is not really interested in messing with chromo axles unfortunately.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Jim put me on the front page and on the insta today. That was nice of him.

@bobbywalter- I am a little too late to change directions- but those pieces of information earlier might have changed my direction before I was committed to this 8.8 (you mentioned 9" a lot- I am building an 8.8). On my exploder I considered building a big bearing EB 9". I even bought one. I wanted to learn about 9" anyway. Then I compared 9" strength vs. 8.8" and decided it wasn't worth the effort. So I sold it.

The Moser axles I ordered had one minor mistake- the holes for the wheel lugs (press in) are the wrong size. Stock bronco/ f150/ exploder are .62 holes. I ordered .685 holes for some reason. I can find some lugs that will fit- they are from Moser (after looking at the part store extensively). However, I am considering sending the shafts back to be re drilled and tapped. The holes for the lugs are dangerously close to the outside edge of the flange, leaving very little material on the outside of the holes. If I have them drilled and tapped for 1/2"x20 threaded lugs, I will add almost 3/32" to the outside of the holes. That seems like a good trade off. I also hear the threaded lugs are stronger than the press fit. It will cost me some cash on shipping. The service isn't much, its the shipping that might hurt. I will call moser on monday and see what I come up with. I talked to local buddy who has a machine shop and he is not really interested in messing with chromo axles unfortunately.
it definitely deserves some time on the front.... it is an awesome rig.

yes....8.8 is the relevant...i have them all...and for some reason i was thinking you were doing a floater 9 to swap in as well..

and i realized this info is too late for you. but the discussion and relevance may help the next dude or dude-ette enjoying your build and they will have some options to think about.

rngrracing96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
33x10.5x15
Thank you. I used some rivets for mounting bodies from Summit racing. Pre painted black. I could get the part number for you. I used them about every 3". Could have been overkill.
Yes please send the part number or post the link. Awesome pics with the kids! How is the fiberglass holding up in the snow and ice?

Uncle Gump

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead, Follow or get out of my way
@Kirby N. Glad to see you made it to the front page here at TRS... Super nice truck and deserving of a feature article.