• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ISO HELP 1996 Mazda b2300

Braiden glampe

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b2300
Transmission
Manual
I am pretty mechanically inclined so usually I’m able to figure stuff out on my own not this. What happened is I was driving home from work I was in 4th gear let off the gas for a corner then went to give it more and I had no power. Mind you I had music going I turned it down and it had a rough almost grinding noise wouldn’t do over 35 in 4th I live way out in the woods so I had to shoot for home which I did make it not up my driveway though doesn’t like hills. Has a really rough idle and when checking under the hood the IAT sensor had burnt out replaced checked the spark plugs or at least most of them and I redid timing which won’t line up correctly one of the pulleys keeps jumping any ideas ??

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I am pretty mechanically inclined so usually I’m able to figure stuff out on my own not this. What happened is I was driving home from work I was in 4th gear let off the gas for a corner then went to give it more and I had no power. Mind you I had music going I turned it down and it had a rough almost grinding noise wouldn’t do over 35 in 4th I live way out in the woods so I had to shoot for home which I did make it not up my driveway though doesn’t like hills. Has a really rough idle and when checking under the hood the IAT sensor had burnt out replaced checked the spark plugs or at least most of them and I redid timing which won’t line up correctly one of the pulleys keeps jumping any ideas ??
Limas (2.3's) like to slip/break timing belts.

Sounds like yours slipped....put a new belt on it and reset the timing youll probably be good to go.

Braiden glampe

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b2300
Transmission
Manual

Sounds like yours slipped....put a new belt on it and reset the timing youll probably be good to go.
[/QUO

i already did but I didn’t take the harmonic balencer off which this time I did but I still can’t get the teeth too line up correctly but I’m going to get it as close as possible before I tension it.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Just align the two arrows...or dots...whatevers on a lima. Cam pointing down crank pointing up so they face each other.

@scotts90ranger

Braiden glampe

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b2300
Transmission
Manual
Just align the two arrows...or dots...whatevers on a lima. Cam pointing down crank pointing up so they face each other.

@scotts90ranger
3A2DADF6-0C3A-4A47-8162-F6A554E64F9D.jpeg

It keeps jumping a tooth or multiple teeth once I tension it I think it’s something to do with the oil pump it has some play only where the teeth are sopposed to line up though.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
View attachment 97151
It keeps jumping a tooth or multiple teeth once I tension it I think it’s something to do with the oil pump it has some play only where the teeth are sopposed to line up though.
I wouldnt think the oil pump would cause it to slip.

Unless its bound up or something.

I dont know alot about the 2.3's...thats why i dispatched scott...he knows a ton about them he should be along

Braiden glampe

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b2300
Transmission
Manual
I wouldnt think the oil pump would cause it to slip.

Unless its bound up or something.

I dont know alot about the 2.3's...thats why i dispatched scott...he knows a ton about them he should be along
Yeah thanks I ended up getting the timing to line up. Abt to put everything together rn 🤞

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I was out of town for the weekend. On a '96 you need to line up the oil pump pulley as well as the cam pulley, one's a triangle and the other diamond (both have both shapes, your picture has the diamond lined up, don't remember which that is).

I would pull the codes too if aligning the timing doesn't work. Roseburg is way away from me, if you were local I would help...

The best way to check the timing marks is to line everything up with the tensioner just on spring tension then rotate the crankshaft two rotations until it's marks are lined up again and make sure the other two are lined up then tighten up the two bolts on the tensioner so it's solid.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals