• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Interesting F-150 suspension question.....

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I'd give that a "no go for launch". Not saying that it can't be done but even for an off road only truck it's not the best idea. I can't tell all that much from the pics but it doesn't look all that great; just overlapped and welded, no fishplate, not guesset of any kind around the splice area. It will never pass a state inspection if you have to, let alone it will be an insurace nightmare if you happen to wreck it and hurt somebody. I had to laugh at the rear. He scabbed the frames together to swap an axle? More work than just moving the mounts on the axle. The reason you can't find anything about people doing that kind of work is because nobody does that. Don't take anything the wrong way that thing is pretty hacked and is a trap just asking for trouble. Just trying to point you in the right direction is all.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know what you mean I was just gonna see what y'all's input on it was because I hadn't seen much about this.. I've heard of it being done on hot rods and such but I don't know it seems like it was a more difficult way to get things done from me just looking at it.. The only reason I could see doing it on the front is everything is still aligned.. For the most part

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The welds all seem to be pretty good and all he really did was graft the old one to the existing frame..insurance and all of that here doesn't scare me because we don't have inspections.. I'll prolly go ahead and get it all put together and see if it feels solid.. Be easy with it and test it a little.. If it doesn't feel like it should I may end up gettin parts of of it and getting rid of it.. We'll see how it goes lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Don't even waste the time trying to put that on the road. Looks like an excellent donor for a body swap project, and that's about all. If I wanted to keep that body, it does look nice, then I'd be hunting for a new frame.

Yes, hot rodders sometimes graft in a suspension or subframe, but it's a lot different and hopefully done much better than that. The mods done there make no sense what so ever. The grafted on front suspension did nothing for clearance in the engine bay except possibly for the oil pan, a dual sump pan is a lot neater and easier fix. The rear axle is just as bad nothing gained there, get a Ranger/Explorer 8.8". The above parts could have been more than paid for by parting out the F-150.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
insurance and all of that here doesn't scare me because we don't have inspections..
Ok, I know it is frequently used as such, but not having a mandatory safety inspection is not a good reason to go do something incredibly stupid and dangerous to a vehicle and then drive it on the public roads.

If you want to die then go shoot yourself in your own home. Don't drive a death trap down the road where you can kill other people too.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The welds all seem to be pretty good and all he really did was graft the old one to the existing frame..insurance and all of that here doesn't scare me because we don't have inspections.. I'll prolly go ahead and get it all put together and see if it feels solid.. Be easy with it and test it a little.. If it doesn't feel like it should I may end up gettin parts of of it and getting rid of it.. We'll see how it goes lol

When the thing comes unzipped at speed and hurts someone your insurance will look at it and come down on either you or your estate... probably even leave you open to the incoming lawsuits from whoever you hit.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm not saying I'm just gonna go be an idiot with this.. I just said that about insurance bc somebody brought it up.. And i don't plan on doing a lot of driving in it anyway.. And I'm definitely gonna do a lot of testing with it before I did take it anywhere.. If I feel like it's gonna come apart Ill probably take it out of commission or just off-road with it . . And I'm in a small town so it's not like Ill be out on the interstate everyday in it. .

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
I thought you had to weld frames together in a V shape because of the load put on a box weld would cause it to fail. If you plan on driving it at least have someone weld some gussets on it. If you fixed the welds it would not be a problem I wouldn't think but I dont weld or mod frames. good luck with it. Got to say it looks interesting.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals