• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I'm gonna buy an EV

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
At 20MPG you would need 50gal for 1,000miles, 350lbs of fuel, not many newer passenger vehicles can carry that much fuel

But in any case the "fill up" times are getting lower for EVs and "fast" charging stations are popping up all the time

But yes for off road/off the grid adventures ICE will be here for a long long time

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
At 20MPG you would need 50gal for 1,000miles, 350lbs of fuel, not many newer passenger vehicles can carry that much fuel

But in any case the "fill up" times are getting lower for EVs and "fast" charging stations are popping up all the time

But yes for off road/off the grid adventures ICE will be here for a long long time
Ok, lets raise the ante then... 100 gal tank... :ROFLMAO:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I've spent most of 3 weeks in southern California in the last couple months annoyingly... I think it was $5.60ish a gallon for regular and $6 for diesel or premium. I don't want to get political because both sides aren't right (but the left is more wrong I'm pretty sure, but whatever, I just vote for the less worst...). That said I can't judge California as a whole based on anything as most of the people I have met are fine, what we have is a big city problem where people don't see the big picture and just want what they see for themselves not what the majority of the country needs...

For your needs, don't blame ya, I'd probably be tempted for a plug in hybrid just to cover everything but it's not a buyers market right now no matter what... and myself I'm not one to buy a new vehicle but I guess now new is the same price as used so whatever... An ex coworkers wife had a Volt for a while ago but sold it when the market was decent a few months ago, apparently she liked it...

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Move out of commiefornia. Stop complying with Gestapo & stand up for yourself & your fellow man. When enough people move out of that sh*thole maybe they'll figure it out & get it back to normal. But i doubt it. Hopefully it will burn the rest of the way down & take pedowood with it. Rant over. Lol.
You sound like me when I'm stuck in traffic.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Ok everyone I think I have made my decision to just go with a bolt. I've seen a few around, and something about em is....cute. I feel like it would be similar to driving an electric golf cart around. Anyways, I don't know what it is, but I kinda like em.
Now for the purchasing part. I don't want to spend hours dealing with a salesman, then finance Dept, then the manager, then salesman again etc etc...anyone buy a car online? I'm considering it.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Just a thought, did a quick search but didn't see an answer

So you buy an EV, and you setup your own solar, or other type, of "homebrew" Charging station
Is there any Warranty issues?

i.e. if you put diesel fuel in a new gasoline vehicle will the car maker cover any damage under warranty?
Never done that but I bet car maker wouldn't cover it, insurance might, they cover "stupid" and "oops" :)
It doesn't matter. This is all a big Gambler to me anyways. If it becomes a whole major issue like that, I will just leave it on the side of the road with the keys and title on the dash. Eff it.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ok everyone I think I have made my decision to just go with a bolt. I've seen a few around, and something about em is....cute. I feel like it would be similar to driving an electric golf cart around. Anyways, I don't know what it is, but I kinda like em.
Now for the purchasing part. I don't want to spend hours dealing with a salesman, then finance Dept, then the manager, then salesman again etc etc...anyone buy a car online? I'm considering it.
From what I hear, buying a car online is more expensive then in person for whatever reason. However, the people that have done it seem to think it’s worth it not to have to deal with the whole rigmarole of going to a dealer.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check if Calif offers any benefits for EV purchases

Go online and build the Bolt you want and get the price

Print off the build list(Base model + Options) and price, then go to a Dealer and see what they can do to get the sale
Either is cheaper or its not, no negotiation

Dealers can also take trade-ins which can be a plus if you have a beater you want to get rid of

Arrange your own financing ahead of time, but car makers often offer lower interest financing, if so, you may have to sit thru the meeting, grin and bare it, lol

Check with your insurance carrier to see what your yearly cost will be on the vehicle, don't want any surprises

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
When we bought our Dodge, all of the negotiation stuff was done over the phone. The agreement regarding trade value included. When I went in, all I had to do was sign the papers and go. I had an appointment and it was an hour or so I spent there. That may be an option to at least minimize the amount of time you spend there.

I used to work at a Firestone shop as a GT. The assistant manager was a pretty nice guy, and he was showing me the POS system once. When they brought up a tire for a quote, it had several options for pricing listed (Cost, Cost+5%, Cost+10%, etc.). The procedure was if someone was on the phone they were quoted on the low end because you've barely "got" the customer. The same RFQ from someone standing in the store with their car there would be higher. If someone came in with a flat or damaged tire, they got quoted even higher yet. I'm not saying cars would work this way, but it was an interesting strategy.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I hereby declare Florida as it's own Union and therefore do NOT have to follow your lil' rules of "Logic" and "Facts" and "Truth" and Henceforth this land will be known as FloridaLand and even though we are a Peninsula, we identify as an Island and will act as such. You will pay high "tourist tariffs" known as gasoline as FloridaLand is now a NO FLY ZONE and all planes will be boarded by at least 2 "Florida Man"s ( NOTE : Florida man can be male , female and/or child of any age )

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I hereby declare Florida as it's own Union and therefore do NOT have to follow your lil' rules of "Logic" and "Facts" and "Truth" and Henceforth this land will be known as FloridaLand and even though we are a Peninsula, we identify as an Island and will act as such. You will pay high "tourist tariffs" known as gasoline as FloridaLand is now a NO FLY ZONE and all planes will be boarded by at least 2 "Florida Man"s ( NOTE : Florida man can be male , female and/or child of any age )

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals