• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I'm going to give Linux another shot. Suggestions?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I've decided to give Linux another go. The last time I ran it on any of my boxes was in '99 so it's been a while. This go around I want to put it on a notebook and be able to use Wi-Fi. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a version? I was looking around and found openSUSE 11.4 - but I would like to hear from some actual Linux users if you don't mind.

Thanks!

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i've had a hard time getting any linux install to do everything that i really wanted it to. with that said, if you are just looking for something to browse the net with, ubuntu is easy to test/install and very easy to use. download the iso for the most recent version and burn it to a cd. you'll be able to run it as a live cd and test everything without installing it. if you like it, install it. if not, no harm done!

makeos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
I am running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my notebook. Install was straight forward. Had some minor issues with the updating, but ubuntuforums.org is very helpful. So far I really enjoy it. Free, fast, and reliable. Can't ask for much more.

badmts

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i used ubuntu for a while and it was awesome then I did some update and the wifi quit so i went online at work to see and several people had the same catch 22 -go online to fix problem but since most were jacking wifi they were stuck-the fix that seemed to work for most is/was a program pronounced"WICKED" but spelled WICCD or something like that -i just surf net so i went and bought a REFURB winXP machine and now pay for cable -I am such a SELL OUT :bawling:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Thanks so much for the recommendations guys. I am going to give Ubuntu 11.04 a whirl and see how it goes. If I don't like it, I've also got openSuse 11.4 that I will try.

Rep to you all.

EDIT:

And Kunar, this is what sold me on trying Ubuntu first:

download the iso for the most recent version and burn it to a cd. you'll be able to run it as a live cd and test everything without installing it. if you like it, install it. if not, no harm done!

Last edited:

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i know this is an old thread, but how did it go?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I ran it for a couple of weeks on my laptop. I never got the Wi-Fi working. To be honest, I don't use my laptop much since I've been using my Droid. The Ubuntu is still on it, I've just not fired it up for a while.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
My friend that runs 11.04 says "You just need to right click the connect icon on the panel, and click the connection" for the wifi problem.

Dont know if you have tried that yet but figured that I would ask for you.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
You don't even need to burn ubuntu to a CD anymore - it works excellent off of a thumbdrive as a "live cd." I am not sure what sort of wifi issues you are talking about - the only ones I had were before I switched linux distros to Ubuntu. Ever since I went Ubuntu, I haven't actually had one single issue with anything, it sort of just works. Ubuntu is also the only operating system ever to have a proper automatic install that does what it says it does. I was amazed.

Well, I did have an issue, but it's because of my RunCore SSD trying to commit suicide when I would shut down the computer and then close the lid before it finished the shutdown process - it would try to hibernate while shutting down. I turned off hibernate and it fixed it. Sucked because I had to reformat the drive and re-install every time it happened - which was twice.

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
Ubuntu has got it down to the point where the average user can install it. It's a user friendly Linux distro.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
The "one click install" worked besides the whole hibernate thing for me. My buddy who is into macs and repairs computers for a living just about shit a brick when he saw it ("it" being the one click install) for the first time.

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
The "one click install" worked besides the whole hibernate thing for me. My buddy who is into macs and repairs computers for a living just about shit a brick when he saw it ("it" being the one click install) for the first time.
Lol. Awesome.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I don't remember how I tried to resolve it, but your instructions sound familiar Danger. I did a Google search back a couple months ago and there were some other people besides me having difficulty with the Broadcom 4306 Wi-Fi adapter under Ubuntu.

But, I didn't really try THAT hard because I've become enamored by my Droid X. I will give it another shot here shortly though. I tend to tinker with computers more in the colder weather when I have more time.

Also, I agree Gribly. It was incredibly easy to install. Even easier than Windows 7.

Jaymz9350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
Yeah when I messed with linux on my old laptop the wireless was the only hassle. And from what i've read the hassle is with broadcom cards. If I remember right I had to connect to the net hardwired and manually install the driver.

I run Mint (basically Ubuntu with all the stuff you need built into the package) on my daughters old P4 because their is lots of games and educational software available free on linux.

RangerAL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
+1 for Ubuntu. I've been using it as my daily OS since 8.04 LTS. I still run 8.04 LTS on the main system at home....and it's rock solid. The laptop has 10.04 LTS and is also rock solid.

Those Broadcom cards can be a pain...but most work...although you may have to plug up to the ethernet first to get it going. I switched my laptop wireless card out from the Dell card to an Intel Pro wireless and it went right to work. I've had 8.04 LTS, 9.10 and now 10.04 LTS on the laptop. All worked without any problems.

I stay with the LTS versions only as they are very stable and I'm not one that likes to change my OS every six months. So until the next LTS comes out, I'll be right where I am.

My wife uses it with no problems and my daughter even switched over and is now only using Ubuntu...all since 8.04 LTS.

The main thing to remember is to be patient. It's not Winduhs and you'll have to adjust your way of doing things to the Linux way. Once you get used to it, you'll love it and wonder why you didn't switch earlier :)

Also, use whatever OS is best for what you do. One is not necessarily better than the other...they're just different. They all have their place and jobs they're best suited for.

Enjoy!
Allen
:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals