• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I tell you what..

pocket-rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl.
Transmission
Manual
Every time I start my poor little old truck it amazes me. I've never been a Ford guy, but I do like Mustangs and Rangers. My little truck is actually what has me no longer bashing Ford. It now has just over 183k on the clock (assuming since it's not a 1 million mile odometer) and in the last few hundred miles it has started getting harder to turn over. I figured it was my battery getting old until the point where I had to start getting out and rapping on the starter with my tire iron. I went to the parts store and they want $120 for a reman'd starter O.O (before my commercial discount, but still...) I went to the local starter and alternator rebuilding shop here and bought a new set of brushes that ran me $10. This afternoon I pulled the truck in the garage and disassembled the starter. Surprisingly despite being rust covered it came apart easily. I cleaned everything up, took some sand paper and cleaned the commutator up, took a razor knife to the grooves between the plates to clean them out, then sprayed it down with electrical contact cleaner. When all was said and done, the starter now turns the engine over faster than it ever has since I've had the thing. Whoda thunk when they said "Built Ford Tough" they meant starter innerds too? Gotta love saving $110.

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
You'd be surprised how much stuff on a ranger is easy and fixable like that.

pocket-rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl.
Transmission
Manual
True. I already found out a couple years ago about the heater core. It made me lol. I couldn't believe how simple it was since the last one I did was my wife's 95 4.6 Tbird...

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
Built Tough indeed:headbang:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
T-bird is probably the hardest Ford to work on, right after the GT. But then an oil change on the GT takes 4 hours, gotta take apart half the car.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals