• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Huh. I can turn perfectly good parts into scrap...

Roadapple

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3 L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
"if we don't know what to do, we'll fake it"
Hi all-

I joined early this morning. I have an issue with a 1990 2.3L XLT Ranger 2WD. It has 94000 original miles and ran great until I replaced the (worn) clutch. Now I've got the "melting slave cyl blues". I am trying to figure out what clutch disc/pressure plate fits this truck. It seems not all replacements are created equal. I've detailed this in my post.

I've lurked on this forum for a while, and found it to be excellent. I've learned a lot about Rangers from all of you. Not all forums are good - this one is great.

The truck is due to be repaired tomorrow and any help would be appreciated.

Best of luck to you all.

Ed

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Go to NAPA for your parts. Their stuff is supplied by the OEM supplier.

Roadapple

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3 L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
"if we don't know what to do, we'll fake it"
Thanks adsm08, that *is* where the mechanic buys his parts. I don't think I've got problems with the LuK parts, I think maybe that the problem is because of the change in hydraulic systems in Rangers in 1993.

In my post (Melting Clutch Slave-Cylinder) in transmissions I mentioned that Ford made obsolete the original slave cylinders for my model year when they went to a clutch hydraulic system with a longer fitting. The hydraulic system in my vehicle has been updated. So, even though I have a 1990 Ranger, I think I should be using all 1993 parts to repair this *because* I have the hydraulic lines for a 1993 2.3 L Ranger.

So, I see that the LuK P/Ns for a 1990 2.3 L are:
07-054 clutch kit
LSC002 slave w/o TOB

For the 1993 2.3 L, the LuK P/Ns are:
07-093 clutch kit
LSC003 slave w/o TOB

Is it possible to mate a 1990 clutch to a 1993 slave and melt the slave cyl because of excessive compression of the slave cyl? A mechanic not as familiar with Rangers as this group is might have mated a 1990 clutch assy. to a 1993 slave cyl.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
From reading your other post you could have just got a bad throwout bearing, it happens.

A search for "melted slave cylinders" doesn't come back with much for Ford's, so it wouldn't be a common Ranger issue even with the later model plastic slaves.

There are two pressure plates available, self-adjusting(stock) and regular, but these have the same dimensions so I can't see this causing your problem.

It is an odd one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals