• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to get rid of police harrasment

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Backpressure after turbo turbines is bad for performance, period. Anyone who tells you differently is blowing smoke up your ass.

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Not that appeasing me is on your to-do list, but like I said before, I still haven't seen any solid evidence that your statement is absolutely solid truth. I am NOT denying performance gains, I'm saying that it's not conclusive that it's GOOD for your setup. Hence the comment about proof, leaky seals, etc. I define good as increased power and increased longevity.

EDIT: I don't mean to derail the thread. You can ignore this.

Last edited:

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Not that appeasing me is on your to-do list, but like I said before, I still haven't seen any solid evidence that your statement is absolutely solid truth. I am NOT denying performance gains, I'm saying that it's not conclusive that it's GOOD for your setup. Hence the comment about proof, leaky seals, etc. I define good as increased power and increased longevity.

EDIT: I don't mean to derail the thread. You can ignore this.
seems like it would be common sense that back pressure on a turbo = more resistance for the turbo to move, therefore making less power

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
seems like it would be common sense that back pressure on a turbo = more resistance for the turbo to move, therefore making less power
Do you have proof to back up that claim?

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

tempforce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i would like to point out the location of your exhaust cutout valve motors/solenoids. are way to close to your stock exhaust. your electrical/mechanical device is going to have a short life. in that location. i would rotate the head unit away from the source of heat.
cc

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i would like to point out the location of your exhaust cutout valve motors/solenoids. are way to close to your stock exhaust. your electrical/mechanical device is going to have a short life. in that location. i would rotate the head unit away from the source of heat.
cc
It appears to have a high heat casing around it, in which it would be more than safe in that location.

However I'd keep that wire away..

I could be wrong on the casing though I'll let the OP fill us in.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Turbo works on flow. The more flow you have the faster the turbine spools. Faster the turbine spools the sooner you'll be making power. Back pressure is created by restriction in the system, and restriction decreases flow. If the restriction created down stream of the turbine is a bigger restriction than the turbine itself, that restriction limits the performance potential of the turbine. Ideally you want to the Turbo to be the largest restriction, source of back pressure, in the system. Back pressure down stream of the turbine is fine, so long as it is lower than the back pressure upstream of the turbine. Hope that makes sense, it's been about 6 years since I graduated from the Aviation Maintenance Tech School where I learned what I know about turbines.

Armadillon, I might try to find information/proof to back up my claims after you provide the same. The example you give is a factory turbo install, it was designed to work within factory specifications. You modified things so that turbine was no longer operating within factory specifications and you did nothing to upgrade the turbo itself. What kind of results did you expect? If you expect us to provide proof to back up out claims before you will listen to them, then do the same.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's not quite right. In the exhaust section the turbine wheel does not move anything, instead it is moved by the exhaust. As I mentioned above the turbo works on flow, or more precisely resistance to flow. The flow of exhaust gasses is what causes the turbine wheel to spin. It's the back pressure, created by the turbines resistance to flow, that gives those gasses the force to make it spin. As long as you have lower pressure on the downstream side of the turbine the air will continue to move freely through the the turbine. Once the pressure becomes equalized on both the downstream and upstream side (as will happen if you have a larger restriction downstream) of the turbine that flow will slow down. Once that happens if your engine flows enough the pressure will continue to increase, and flow will decrease until maximum back pressure the engine can sustain is reached. Granted most of the time the exhaust system will flow more than the engine can, it's just important to make sure that there are no restrictions larger than the turbo down stream from it.

cc
I would like to point out that, unless he bought a really cheap unit, those exhaust cutouts are designed for those conditions. It's clocked the way it is for best fitment into his application.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
cc
I would like to point out that, unless he bought a really cheap unit, those exhaust cutouts are designed for those conditions. It's clocked the way it is for best fitment into his application.
As long as we are all pointing things out, I would like to point out (to tempforce) that your punctuation is awful. You have periods in the middle of sentences, and you don't capitalize. Your spelling is good though.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As long as we are all pointing things out,
Anyone else want to jump in on this? I'm sure it could get good quick. :joke:

I do agree with you ADSM. I know my spelling and punctuation isn't the best, but some posts get ridiculous. I know I have my own faults, I tend go a little overboard on my replies. I don't post often (more than usual lately), but once I get started talking/typing I just can't seem to shut up.

Last edited:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Turbines work on a pressure differential, the greater this differential is, the more efficient the turbine is. An unrestricted exhaust creates the largest possible pressure differential. Pressure differential is what causes fluids to move from one place to another, the greater the differential, the faster they move.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
:damnit1: Why can't I explain stuff as simply as that? :annoyed:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The backpressure thing was a big debate at the John Deere dealership my dad worked at back in the 70's.

So per the customer's request they dynoed his brand new 4430 (turbocharged 404 I6 diesel) with the factory muffler and then with a fancy chrome curve straightpipe that was the same size as the turbo elbow... he lost 5hp but liked the looks so he kept it anyway.

Only enough time to cooldown between dyno pulls so they could switch the stacks.

beluga420

March 2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
2012 Truck of The Year
2013 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3t
Transmission
Manual
It was the only way the cutout motor would fit under my truck, otherwise it would be hitting the tranny or raping hard on the ground. I made my best to have the wire farthest away from my line..

And yeah less restriction = more power and faster spool-up... I have the proof... I tried the truck with the cutout closed and the max boost it hit was 12psi, and it did it very slowly and way less power than usually.

Heres how it sounds with the cutout opened (don't worry weezl, this was on a closed course:icon_rofl:)

3-4th gear pull but I can't shift fast because of a tuning/fueling issue. 15 psi.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals