• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How important is backpressure for the 4.0?

Diesel Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just from reading stuff around the site, how imortant is back pressure to the 4.0, like what would happen performance wise if a person strait piped one?

:icon_confused:

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
what would happen performance wise if a person strait piped one?
It would be a lot louder but not much faster. :icon_twisted:
It isn't so much the backpressure, but too big a pipe will slow down the exhaust gas velocity which helps pull the exhaust out of the cylinders. Ranger engines, even a 4.0, simply aren't that big and don't flow that much air. This is why a CAI, headers, cat-back exhaust, don't make a lot of difference until you're spinning some higher rpm's. On mine I picked up 3 mpg on the highway with the exhaust but city mpg is no different.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
The only important thing about back pressure in any engine is to make sure you never have back pressure. Back pressure is not good for any engine.

JohnnyO is right, exhaust velocity or lack of it is what most consider lack of back pressure. If you open your exhaust too much, you slow down the velocity so much that you can actually get reversion (momentary reverse flow of exhaust gasses) in the pulses of exhaust flow. This is a bad thing and has a similar effect of too small exhaust pipe.

There is an optimum size pipe for each engine in combination with how it is going to be used.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
The only important thing about back pressure in any engine is to make sure you never have back pressure. Back pressure is not good for any engine.
Except 2-strokes :icon_thumby:

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I wasn't thinking about 2-strokes. I don't know that much about them. You could be right and yes, they are engines too.

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Here we go again with another one of these threads....

Backpressure=BAD
Scavenging=GOOD

The biggest pipe isnt always the better....Its a matter of velocity and the scavenging effect!

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
what exactly are you trying to get out of straight piping the exhaust. more power? louder?
on my brothers ranger we gutted the second cat, put a thrush muffler and made a 6" exhaust tip. when it starts up it idles low around 500 and the thing sounds like it has a V8 under the hood. obviously with less restriction from the second cat it has more airflow and it is a lot louder and beefier

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you straight pipe, I would go more than 1 5/8-2 inch pipe. Even this might be too big. Run it all the way out, no turn downs or side exhaust with this method. A mild amount of backpressure is good other wise there would be nothing to push the piston down. So you need a little backpressure and you need scanvenging, scavenging helps the velocity of the exhaust gases which if allowed to move too slowly will cause backpressure. It will be Loud, I recommend at least a cherry bomb of some sort or some kinda glasspacks. If you go the route of headers, the rule of thumb is Long tubes help torque and shortys help hp.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Back pressure pushes the piston down? :icon_confused:

Here all this time I thought it was another cylinder firing and turning the crankshaft which pulled the piston down...

Forget about backpressure altogether, the only thing that matters is velocity. Too big and your exhaust pulses get lost on the way out, too small and they can't get out fast enough.

scheetz21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Back pressure pushes the piston down? :icon_confused:

Here all this time I thought it was another cylinder firing and turning the crankshaft which pulled the piston down...

Forget about backpressure altogether, the only thing that matters is velocity. Too big and your exhaust pulses get lost on the way out, too small and they can't get out fast enough.
your right other cylinders firing and the counter balance on the crank keeps it revolving.. that guy doesn't know what hes talking about. you can run a engine with no exhaust at all..except might burn up an exhaust valve ppl say. lol

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
your right other cylinders firing and the counter balance on the crank keeps it revolving.. that guy doesn't know what hes talking about. you can run a engine with no exhaust at all..except might burn up an exhaust valve ppl say. lol
Two of my tractors essentially have a 2' long straight thru muffler stuck in the exhaust manifold... and will plow as long as you can stand to drive them without valve damage. I even ran straight pipes in my younger days with no ill effects (to the tractor)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals