• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

help

dakinepakalol0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 92 ranger 4 cyl that isn't getting spark. Ignition module tests fine, put a new crank sensor in and a pcm. It doesn't have a cam sensor. Does anyone know how I can check the coils? Thanks

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Look underneath the intake manifold on the block there is a CPS in what used to be the hole for the distributor. Is the timing belt ok? are you sure it's not broke? if it isn't broken but has alot of miles on it you might want to go ahead a replace it anyways.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a 92 ranger 4 cyl that isn't getting spark. Ignition module tests fine, put a new crank sensor in and a pcm. It doesn't have a cam sensor. Does anyone know how I can check the coils? Thanks
Look underneath the intake manifold on the block there is a CPS in what used to be the hole for the distributor. Is the timing belt ok? are you sure it's not broke? if it isn't broken but has alot of miles on it you might want to go ahead a replace it anyways.
the Camshaft positioning sensor did not go into the 2.3 lima until 1995. if he replaced the crankshaft positioning sensor he would know if the timing belt is broken.

Did you get all 3 screws back into the ICM?

you can check the coilpack for resistance with a MM, Haynes show you how. you also can just swap the coilpacks and see if that changes anything

Are you sure you check all the fuses? are you getting power to the ICM? coilpack?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
also only the passenger side coils get spark while cranking, in case that helps...

there are only 3 components to the ignition system other than the plugs and wires:
-coil packs
-ignition module
-crank sensor

other than that the main important things are power and ground, so like said above, check all fuses and check the tech library for a wiring diagram (there's one in the turbo swap area I know for a fact) and use it to see which pins are power and ground on the ignition module, if the components are checking out it's most likely a wiring issue somehow. Like said above, swap the two coil packs to eliminate them because like I said, if the passenger side coil pack is bad it won't get spark, if you swap them you most likely eliminate them.

Also pull codes on the thing, it's very easy and covered in the tech library, if I wasn't so tired I'd get links, but I've been gone since Wednesday and just got back so I'm beat...

I have that ignition system on a '86 thunderbird engine that came with a distributor and am only using the passenger side coil pack, if it's not working at all there's most likely something simple going on. And for the record, if the crank sensor is good it would have spark no matter if the timing belt was broken or not as the crank sensor goes off the crank not the cam... and even if it did have a cam sensor (some started in '94 for cali trucks) it wouldn't screw with the spark, cam sensors are for sequential fuel injection to fire more appropriately instead of doing two injectors at a time like everything without a cam sensor does...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals