• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HELP, I want to lift my 1986 2WD Ranger w/ Manual Steering

GavinHimebauch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So here’s my dilemma. I own a 1986 Ford Ranger with the 2.3l and 5spd manual. I want to put a cheapo rough country lift for aesthetic purposes and maybe do some beach cruising. However, my truck has manual steering which RC says will not work with their kit because P/S and M/S have different pitman arms. RC also says they do not make a pitman arm and don’t know anybody who does. Can I make this kit work? If so how? If not what are my options? I’m looking at a 4inch lift. I don’t want to do a body lift either.
Thank you in advance
Best regards
Gavin Himebauch

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: F9A1A579ACFAD1: October 1st, 2021

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Th manual steering box on our rangers uses the same sector shaft splines as the Saginaw 525 and Jeep manual steering boxes.

A stock manual steering XJ arm will work for you, although it may not be quite dropped enough; you may want to see if you can find a drop pitman arm for a manual steering XJ. It's the one in the middle in this pic. Part number Crown Automotive 52000616. The spines are off center by one spline though. The 4 square cut splines will put your arm off to the left by one spline.