• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help - 96 ranger windshield, wiper cowl and hood oblierated by 4" tree branch

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I could use some help knowing where to start with this. My 96 ranger doesn't have comprehensive insurance so I have to pay for this myself. Since its a pretty old truck I don't want to spend a fortune. But I don't want to drive around a beater, It was a nice truck yesterday. Now the hood is caved in.

The windshield is easy - I'll just get it replaced. The hood seems easy too - junkyard + paint or aftermarket part + paint or junkyard in the same color with luck. The windshield wiper cowl has a crease right in the middle of it. First, I can't find any aftermarket parts for that. Second, does the windshield seal to that part (cowl)? For example, if I get the windshield replaced can the cowl be replaced later without disturbing the new windshield? Third, is the cowl even easily removable? I've read that it might be spot welded into the body.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
cowl is welded on, and contains the VIN plate. yes the windshield seals to it.
without pics we can only guess at fixing.
maybe slide a bar into the cowl access hole and pull up?

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
cowl is welded on, and contains the VIN plate. yes the windshield seals to it.
without pics we can only guess at fixing.
maybe slide a bar into the cowl access hole and pull up?
Thanks. It is just creased a little at the middle along the edge where it meets the hood. The sealing surface at the window is probably still fine. The crease is small enough that the wipers probably still work too. It looks bad but I'm almost sure I can leave alone and live with it. I just needed to know what I'm dealing with because I need to get the window fixed first. I may check with a paintless dent removal guy. The truck isn't worth enough to spend a lot of money make it beautiful (no comprehensive insurance coverage). It WAS beautiful 2 days ago.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals