• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help!!! 289 tranny and t-case question

88-ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I think an AOD would work best since this is my daily driver, but would it bolt up to my 289? Also what vechice do I need a oil pan from so i can go to napa and ask since I need a dual sump oil pan with a in pan dip stick?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If your 289 has the common boltpattern it should be good to go. The early ones had a 5 bolt boltpattern and require a matching bellhousing.

'79 Mustang had the dual sump pan with a dipstick in it. When I priced it the thing was outragous from any local parts store, places on the internet have them cheaper. You will also need the pickup for the oil pump and actual dipstick to go with it.

A couple of those "while you are there" things is the oil pump (about $20) and driveshaft (less than $10) Pretty cheap insurance IMO, because even if you catch a problem before it causes harm... you gotta pull the engine to fix it. Especially the driveshaft.

88-ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok Ill look around. What year vehicles came with an AOD? Would I still have to change output shafts to run my orginal T-case, or would it be easier to use a np205?

88-ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Correct me if I'm wrong, I want a dual sump oil pan and pickup for a 1979 mustang 302? and the oil pan part number from napa is (STP FP11C)

88-ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I just bought a 1990 crown vic ltd lx from my dad with a efi 5.0. What could I all use from the crown vic if I decided to use the 5.0 instead of the 289 and convert it from efi to carb?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Longblock plus oil pan, and front accessory drive. If you stay with the same sized flexplate the flexplate and starter. If it has a known good AOD it might be worth hanging on to for good luck too.

It would be the better choice between the two IMO. The 289 is a good engine but the roller 302 has more potential. Plus it sounds like you know how it runs.

88-ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah it was actually my first car:headbang:, so I'm not sure if I will tear into it. If I do end up running my 289 do I look for an oil pan and pickup for a 1979 mustang 302?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals