• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Health Insurance

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
In 2017 (2018?) I cancelled my health insurance. It was just under $900 a month for me and my 2 kids. Both were adults. It was just to expensive to keep.

My insurance kept going up each year, but I'm supposed to get a cheaper rate once I'm 52. Well now that I'm 52, just health insurance for me is $480 a month. Open enrollment is in November, and it doesn't take effect until January.

I've never shopped for health insurance. When I got hired by the state in 1990 I received a health insurance plan. When I retired, I kept the same plan.

I feel like there might be a better plan out there that's cheaper than the one I can get from the state, and that will go into effect much sooner.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or recommendations on shopping for health insurance?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Not to sound cynical but ACA might be overturned completely by the supreme court if trump gets his way so soon it wont matter anyway... there will be no open enrollment, your just going to be screwed.

Im with you, i bought individual coverage for years. It wasn't bad at first (under 200 a month) kept going up slightly every year, then when the ACA started the cost for the same private plan I had for years went up to 600+ a month which was way beyond what I could even remotely afford so I was basically forced to get insurance through ACA.

Now if they overturn ACA me and the other 30 million americans who now depend on it will have no insurance overnight and ZERO other options. Do I agree with ACA? No, but you cant force people into a situation where they absolutely need the system to LITTERALLY SURVIVE, then yank the system out from under them with no alternative.

I've been looking for alternatives for years and have yet to find anything I can afford....

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
There are cost sharing healthcare programs out there that might be worth looking at. They are supposed to be pretty good. One such program is called medishare.

I’m locked in the federal employees program, so haven’t looked into it. Some of the offered plans are just as expensive as what you are talking about. Thankfully there is choices.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
There are cost sharing healthcare programs out there that might be worth looking at. They are supposed to be pretty good. One such program is called medishare.

I’m locked in the federal employees program, so haven’t looked into it. Some of the offered plans are just as expensive as what you are talking about. Thankfully there is choices.
I tried looking into the cost sharing programs, basically private individuals making a plan together similar to what an employer would offer correct?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I tried looking into the cost sharing programs, basically private individuals making a plan together similar to what an employer would offer correct?
Similar concept, yes.

I looked into Medishare a few years back and got the impression that is was basically a group-pooled HSA, and that while monthly pay-in should be relatively stable there was a possibility of an unexpected large pay in if there was some massive catastrophe. I could be wrong about that.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My dog has better health insurance than most Americans.... smug bastard...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Been awhile since I was living in the US but when I was there I was always self-employed

I shopped for highest deductible I could find, it really lowers the monthly cost but protects your assets in case of injury or longer term illness
Even had an income supplement if I was unable to work do to injury, wasn't much just covered most of the mortgage payment at that time
Never got to test it, thank goodness, but it was there :)

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I did the same. Had a 500 dollar deductible but my premiums were dirt cheap. I could afford 500 bucks in an emergency which is essentially all I had insurance for.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well that's what any insurance is for, you are betting against yourself, lol, that something bad WILL happen
Insurance company is betting it won't
Deductible is a way for insurance company and YOU to "hedge" the bet

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
But the fundamental problem in America is insurance companies work out deals with doctors and hospitals to make sure the cost of medical care stays at extreme prices the average person can't afford without it. You really think it cost 30 grand for an MRI? No, but the hospital charges insurance 30 grand, gets a kickback so when someone without insurance comes in they can rob them blind and leave them homeless over some basic medical care. Its a screwed up sadistic system.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
This health care issue needs to be fixed... it's also something on my to do list.

As far as I know there is no good option currently. If you can afford the premiums... you can't afford the deductibles.

Hopefully our government gets this one right... it affects far to many people to half ass it again.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
This health care issue needs to be fixed... it's also something on my to do list.

As far as I know there is no good option currently. If you can afford the premiums... you can't afford the deductibles.

Hopefully our government gets this one right... it affects far to many people to half ass it again.

I agree. My issue is the people who want to CANCEL what we have now with nothing to replace it. You cant say you hate our healthcare system and just want to abolish it, but have no damn clue what to do afterwards.

Kinda like the idiots who want to abolish (not defund) the police. They have no plan, but are happy to just leave people helpless.

We are stuck with this system until someone makes a better plan, not just getting rid of everything! If ACA is taken away with nothing to replace it or improve it. Ill die. No question. I dont like ACA, don't want to be on it, but its all I got. Like millions of other people. Its a horrible plan but it was forced on us and now we depend on it.

Give me affordable independent healthcare. Thats all I want.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
It's broke and needs to go into the trash.

Last sign up period... there was not one single option that was affordable. Should be called the unaffordable and we really don't care act.

There are other countries that do it... it has to be done here. The problem is really the insurance companies... and the fact they line the pockets of our elected officials to push their agenda. And we haven't even mentioned the drug companies...

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I'm disabled so even though i paid my dues in healthcare without government help when it came to aca, because of my condition i was FORCED into Medicaid under ACA. Ive had friends who cuss at me that im the problem, im the reason their insurance went up. You know what thats like? Im not rich, but i can pay my way... then im forced into a system i dont want to be in and now im.the bad guy because im causing everyones premiums to go up?

Im now the enemy even though all i want to do is pay my share. But i can no longer afford my care alone becase of ACA i didn't do it!!!! But take it away now without a mandate that premiums return to pre 2008 prices, ill die. What do i do?

Im not alone.either... im stuck in crap i dont want, people hate me, but i cant do anything to fix it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well "socialized"(universal) medicine is an all or nothing option, Obama care didn't/couldn't go far enough

I have been in Canada 25 years now and we have one of the worst socialized medical systems(Cuba and Canada are the only ones left that use this system), but it still beats US system hands down
There has been some movement on allowing Private clinics, the one downside here.
And a "pay per use fee" of $20-$25, for people age 18 to 64, based on income level, which I think is needed

But all in all it does work, $75/month, and medicine is much cheaper here because there is only ONE buyer, the Canadian Heath department, with 30 million clients, so they get a good discount

But the word "socialized" is a bad one in the US, "Universal" as well when its applied to Health care

Litigation is a biggest hit to cost of health care in the US, in my opinion
Doctors are FORCED to run every test in the book or get sued
And insurance companies have to cover the cost on all those tests
And people still sue doctors or hospitals, because lawyers make a good living on "settlements"
And insurance companies find it cheaper to settle than to fight and pay other lawyers, lol

The system just costs more every year

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals