• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Headlight and Brake questions

askthemasses

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So as of now my high beaks work but not my regular headlights. Changed the bulbs, cleaned the terminals, checked the fuses, all should be good. The other lights work. Any thoughts on what that could be?

Also, I have a soft-ish brake pedal. It's kind of always been that way, and I'm wondering why. I'm not losing fluid in my MC reservoir, and I just had my brakes bled a month ago. Front brakes are all brand new (calipers, pads, rotors). Rear brakes are needing to be replaced in the next while, they're at about 75% IIRC. Could the softness just be from the wear on the rear brakes?

Thanks!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Bad headlight switch, adjust rear brakes.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Bad headlight switch, adjust rear brakes.
Bad dimmer switch.

The main light switch throws power to the dimmer, which is responsible for directing it to the high or low beams. If the head light switch was bad neither would work.

I agree to adjust or repair the rear brakes. Drums have more movement than discs, and so when they are worn out they can cause a soft pedal, or long travel. Get them fixed and if it doesn't get better and/or you don't find a leak then replace the master.

askthemasses

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Even though headlights are on the dash and high beams on the dimmer? Just checking- seems funky that the 'wand' would cause the problem when it's the stuff on there that DOES work, and the headlights that are elsewhere that don't

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Both low beams and high beams get power from the main switch on the dash. The wand selects whether that power goes to low beams or high beams.

The wand, otherwise known as the multi-function switch has several sets of contacts for several different circuits. It is possible for some functions to fail while others still work fine.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Even though headlights are on the dash and high beams on the dimmer? Just checking- seems funky that the 'wand' would cause the problem when it's the stuff on there that DOES work, and the headlights that are elsewhere that don't
I know ericphoto covered this already, but I'll do it again just for fun. Read carefully.

The headlight switch sends power to the dimmer. The dimmer directs that power to either the high or low beam. Where they are physically located does not change any of that so I don't know why you are confused about this just because the main switch is on the dash and the dimmer is on the column.

You pull that stalk (that is the proper term) back or push it forward to change from high to low beams, so it has to be involved, right? One of them works, the other doesn't, so if power for both of them comes from the same place, and is switched to one or the other somewhere in the middle. Doesn't it make sense that the problem would be in the part that switches between them?

I know electricity is hard, and it confuses a lot of people, even though they are very familiar with the concepts involved when they are used in other contexts, so I am going to try an analogy.

There is a train line that runs from Washington D.C. to San Francisco and Seattle. Both lines start from the same station D.C. and the track gets switched in Kansas City. Trains are making it to Seattle but not San Fran. Do you assume that the station in D.C. is the problem, or do you start your search for the problem at the switch in Kansas?

Now think of your head light circuit like the rail system. D.C. is the main light switch, Kansas is your dimmer, and Seattle and SF are your high and low beams respectively.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Many with Automatics never use the Parking brake, and some with Manuals don't either, lol

For the rear brakes to stay adjusted you must back up and STOP(use the brakes) a few times a day or a week, they only adjust when backing up.
If you park on the street or ??, and don't back up and STOP then rear brake shoes never adjust.

Using the Parking brake also adjusts the rear brakes

So...........hold out the Parking brake release, and pump the Parking brake pedal, you should feel it get tighter(higher pedal stop) when it stops getting tighter then it is fully adjusted

Last edited:

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know ericphoto covered this already, but I'll do it again just for fun. Read carefully.

The headlight switch sends power to the dimmer. The dimmer directs that power to either the high or low beam. Where they are physically located does not change any of that so I don't know why you are confused about this just because the main switch is on the dash and the dimmer is on the column.

You pull that stalk (that is the proper term) back or push it forward to change from high to low beams, so it has to be involved, right? One of them works, the other doesn't, so if power for both of them comes from the same place, and is switched to one or the other somewhere in the middle. Doesn't it make sense that the problem would be in the part that switches between them?

I know electricity is hard, and it confuses a lot of people, even though they are very familiar with the concepts involved when they are used in other contexts, so I am going to try an analogy.

There is a train line that runs from Washington D.C. to San Francisco and Seattle. Both lines start from the same station D.C. and the track gets switched in Kansas City. Trains are making it to Seattle but not San Fran. Do you assume that the station in D.C. is the problem, or do you start your search for the problem at the switch in Kansas?

Now think of your head light circuit like the rail system. D.C. is the main light switch, Kansas is your dimmer, and Seattle and SF are your high and low beams respectively.
This response about the trains cracked me up. lol. So if train A is traveling at 57 mph from DC.. and train B is traveling a 68 mph from Seattle then when will they cross paths?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
5:61pm on Feb 30, 2019

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals