• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Got a JET chip free- Have you used one?

The_Ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Lima Twin-Spark
Transmission
Manual
I get that most people say the JET chip for the 2.3L is a waste of money, but since it was free ninetynine and I'm hoping for a more efficient fuel and ignition timing table (since the 2.3L makes no additional power past 3k in stock trim) I'm gonna pop this in and see what happens.

Have you used one? What differences did you notice it making in the operation of your Ranger? There have been a bunch of threads asking but no real answers or first-hand experience answering the question.

So, what did it do for you, if you got one?

If no replies, I'll be posting *my* experience here to save this question from being reposted again w/o an answer...

Best,
Ghost

steve63

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have driven a 2.3 ranger with a chip in it,to be honest there was no real difference between that one and the ranger i have now,the one with the chip had slightly better throttle response,but that was it,not worth in my mind the hundreds of dollars for the chip.

The_Ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Lima Twin-Spark
Transmission
Manual
Ok, we've established that it's not worth hundreds of dollars. So, it improved throttle response?

Rad.

Now if I could just figure out how the hell to get the ECM out when that bottom bolt is inaccessible

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
we put one in the race truck that we ran several years ago and was happy with the results.It pulled a little better off the corners and elimanated the rpm limiter.Sold the truck and the guy continues to use the chip.We had only paid $50 for the chip so we was happy with the cost vs the increase.Don't think I would buy one new but would use one again if I could find one for a 98 2.5

Roadkill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3l turbo
Transmission
Automatic
I had one in my '94 3.0 at one time. It did make a bit of difference. I took it out and have it sitting around now with nowhere to go since I sold the 3. It was nice and pepped up the 3.0 all around.

The_Ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Lima Twin-Spark
Transmission
Manual
Any tips on how to pull the ECM from the firewall? I can't get at that damn lower retaining nut.

steve63

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah it improved throttle response slightly,gas milage according to the guy was slightly lower,ive seen more of a difference just by changing to a electric radiator fan,and its far cheaper and will help both gas mi,and power.

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
just have to use swivel and extention.We cut a flap in the fenderwell

The_Ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Lima Twin-Spark
Transmission
Manual
yeah it improved throttle response slightly,gas milage according to the guy was slightly lower,ive seen more of a difference just by changing to a electric radiator fan,and its far cheaper and will help both gas mi,and power.
FYI, already did the E-Fan conversion and have also "built" a short-ram intake setup. I'm hoping the addition of the chip in combination with these two mods oughta help make O/D more usable. If it makes more power past 3k, I'll be a happy camper.

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Fruitless effort for a 2.3 unfortunately.
You have to do major head work, swap a 2.5 head and crank in, and go full tube header to get any real power out of these lead sled turds.
I own one and love it.. its durable and keeps on moving on no matter how I treat it... but you have to remember what it is... Its not a race engine. Just because it can hold 6000 rpms and not blow does not mean it can hold 6000 rpms and make mad power in the process as is. Just means its a durable little 100 hp ( on a good day ) 115 - 130 ftlb torque little truck thats reliable.

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
2.5 head does not have the right bolt bosses in it to take the 94 stuff.Valves are smaller also.Promblems with the center water jacket.Again,as long as you got the chip given to you,run it.Grassroots magazine did a test awhile ago on different chips and while none of them set the track on fire,they did show 1-2 hp improvement,and if I remember,a couple pounds of torque.By no means enough to spend $275,but as long as you have it...

steve63

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you allready have those mods,and the chip is free,stick it in there,youre truck will prolly like it.

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
Keep it. They work best with a few other mild upgrades, but get too extreme and it'll actually hurt performance. I had on my previous ranger an extremely free flowing exhaust, cold air intake, and when I put it on it made a big difference. Climbed easier, accelerated like a champ, pulled heavier loads with less strain.

The cold air intake didnt do squat til I put in the chip.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals