• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Flasher Relay Location?

Junkfood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245cid
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
255/70R16
I recently changed out my old incandescent taillight bulbs for new brighter and more reliable LED lights on my 2002 Ranger XLT 4x4 (with manual transmission and 4.0L V-6). Of course, this brought on the electrical load issue and my turn signals now do the “quick flash” of a failed bulb. I thought I would have to acquire special resisters to install in-line with the new LED lights, but I went to my local parts store where they sold me a new Flasher Relay for LED lights. I opened the Fuse Box under the hood where I was sure the Flasher Relay would need to be installed, but found it was NOT there. I look on YouTube for videos, but they were of no help. I went to my local Ford dealer and they printed out a diagram vaguely showing the location under the driver’s side of the dash, but it is too vague to help. I have searched all around under the driver’s side of the dash, near the Steering Column, but I cannot find the location of the Turn Signal Flasher Relay. Has somebody got a clear picture of the location or can somebody please tell me where the thing is located? I erroneously thought this would be a very easy fix.

Thanks! 😺
IMG_2051.JPG
IMG_2052.JPG

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Never ran across a vehicle with Flasher in engine bay?

In 1995 and up Rangers the turn signals and 4-way hazard lights share the same flasher unit, just FYI

In 2002 Ranger its in Relay box 1, which is above the gas pedal in the cab
Turn on 4-way flashers(these have power all the time) and you should hear it clicking
There is a cover over Relay Box 1 that comes off
There will be several relays inside
There should be a BLUE relay at the top, that's the flasher relay, the one that's clicking

Diagram here: https://www.justanswer.com/uploads/carhelp4u/2008-07-04_103719_2008-07-04_102857.png

Relay box 1 layout changes based on a vehicles Option packages

Picture here of relay box 1 with cover removed: https://www.ranger-forums.com/attachments/general-ford-ranger-discussion-15/180269d1501430039-where-flasher-module-located-p9230008.jpg

You can see the clutch pedal and brake pedal and the BLUE flasher at the top of relay box 1

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals