• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fishing haida gwaii

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well,i convinced the wife to go fishing with me yesterday,and she caught her first fish ever.
:icon_thumby: She is giving TWO thumbs up !! :D
that's a 70lb hali in the middle,caught on a salmon rod with 30lb line.we had a pretty good day.
Tell her CONGRATULATIONS !! :icon_thumby: -

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
:icon_thumby: She is giving TWO thumbs up !! :D

Tell her CONGRATULATIONS !! :icon_thumby: -
oh,trust me...there were high-fives going on after landing that one.

dhinch279

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I can see in your picture, that louisville slugger with the hook in it... indeed you are ready for the zombie apocalypse.

This isn't much, but it's what I spent my Saturday doing:

Early morning the Bass were biting on rubber worms pretty good. Afternoon and evening they were hitting on crankbait all day. Even one of the catfish was caught on the crankbait. I haven't seen that before.
A couple crazy things happened on this trip. One of the other guys caught a little bluegill and was reeling it in quickly when a nice sized bass came up from under the boat and grabbed onto it. It held onto it for a second or two then puked it back out to get away.
Another time, I caught a bass about the size of one in the picture. We got it right up to the side of the boat but realized we forgot a net. Needless to say, it bit my line and got away with my hook. That was in the morning, in the evening another guy caught a nice sized bass pulled it up on the boat and what was in it's mouth... my hook! It was my exact hook because I had a red hook with a built in weight. I will say it may be possible that someone else weeks earlier had lost it before, but it is a private lake that not many people are allowed to fish on.

About 5pm, I started catfishing using live worms and I caught 4 catfish in 20 minutes. The big one was 24 inches long and 3.5 pounds. They were biting before I could even put the rod in the holder. I have more pictures but I have to wait to get them from the other guys.

Most of the fish that were caught were worth keeping, but they didn't weigh as much as they should have. You can even see in my pic above that the fish don't seem that fat. I think a combination of high heat and no rain has really had an impact on the fish this year.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that's not a bad day of fishing!

one of my customers had a story like yours where he had a coho on the line when a big ling cod took it-but spat it out before he could get it in the boat.he left the coho in the water,and the ling came around again,took the coho and spat it out.
on the third go around,it took the coho head first,so it got the hook.he pulled in a good coho and a 4' ling on the same line...i was very jealous as i've had little luck with ling this season,and as ugly as they are,they are the best tasting fish out there.

and you're right-the heat will certainly affect the health of the fish-the smaller the lake,the worse it is.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so,ive got some motors to test.

seeing the two in front,you may know how i'm testing them.....

yup....the old girl got a bit of a power-up.what a hoot,my top speed went from 31mph to 46mhp...and that's just because i ran out of revs,not power.a prop switch should get me 10mph more.

of course,any complete engine test has to include a bit of trolling.

not bad.now i've got to switch it up for the next one.

since i've got ten of these things to test,i'm going to make an engine pod that will allow me to mount two at a time.yup...400hp on a 19' boat...should be interesting.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so....as i was saying.....

i stripped all the stuff off the back.

tossed together a quick aluminum engine pod.

and,ta-da.one 400hp 18' antique grady.

yup...still catches fish too.

that's an 85lb hali.fun stuff.and the boat?goes pretty fast:icon_cheers:

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
wow nice job doc

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wow nice job doc
thanks.it's a lot of fun,gets onto plane as soon as you open the throttles and hits 60mph in about 3 seconds flat.
after the testing is done i'll be going back to a single 200 as it's permanent power source,much more practical and better on fuel,while still being faster than i need it to be.but in the mean time,i can pull up to any of the big dollar lodge boats i want and leave them in my rooster-tailed wake:D

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so,i had an interesting experience on the weekend,and while it may not have much to do with fishing,it's most definetaly haida gwaii.

there was a film crew here that needed to get aerial shots of haida canoists paddling into the sunset,and a good friend of mine was recruited to fill one of his traditional war canoes with a crew of paddlers to be filmed by a helicopter.

my job was to get the canoe to the water......and,hopefully,back again.

it started out by dragging the old car trailer to the longhouse to pick up the canoe.the trailer is equiped with keel rollers for just this sort of need.
this canoe is made in the traditional method of hollowing out a large cedar log and streching it out after steaming it to get the needed width.

after 40kms or so,much of it on rough gravel roads,we were ready to get it wet.

all the paddlers are in place and ready to go.

and there they go.they'll go to the left arond the point from my position,so i won't have a direct view of the action.

shadows are getting long,so we know time is getting close.

as the sun gets lower,the first sound of the heli comes across the seascape.

and there it is.note the big ball on the nose-this is the camera rig,the director is in the passenger's seat telling the pilot were to go.

pass after pass after pass....after about two hours of this i was starting to feel kinda bad for the paddlers who were out there getting blown around by the wind and the heli's downndraft.it may be august,but it's not exactly hot around here when out on the water.

finally,the last pass.
i didn't get any more pics as we were just concerned with getting the boat out of the water and calling an end to the day.

all ended well,the crew got their shot,and no one drowned.

just goes to show,you never know what's going to happen around here.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I managed to get a ride on a boat in Kodiak, but no Salmon (just a couple pinks in the river that became bait) and we dropped down a skate.

We ended getting a late start due to some steering difficulties with the borrowed boat; luckily it was nothing a hammer couldn't fix. The skate was only in for about 2 hrs, but we will still pulled up 3 halibut, we guessed around 40-50 lb each.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Gwaii.................great pics/great canoe......

Are you going to be able to sign the TRS BANNER????

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I managed to get a ride on a boat in Kodiak, but no Salmon (just a couple pinks in the river that became bait) and we dropped down a skate.

We ended getting a late start due to some steering difficulties with the borrowed boat; luckily it was nothing a hammer couldn't fix. The skate was only in for about 2 hrs, but we will still pulled up 3 halibut, we guessed around 40-50 lb each.

too bad about the salmon,but it's always a good day when you can drag up a hali or two:headbang:

Gwaii.................great pics/great canoe......

Are you going to be able to sign the TRS BANNER????
i was in terrace on the weekend,but ryan and i weren't able to co-ordinate our schedules.i'm kinda bummed about that....maybe next time.

97fordrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I love that Part of the world, I have relatives up in Sitka and have been out fishing plenty of times and gotta say your killing me !! LOL I love Salmon and Hali. Last time up I did snag a real nice ling to and it is unglier than sin but cooked up real nice. The Wife and I have been talking about road triping up to Prince Ruppert and getting on the Alaska ferry there and taking that up to Sitka next summer. I've heard that part of B.C. is pristine. Anyways just wanted to say I envy the hell outta you and keep those pics coming before winter sets in and the lights shut off

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I love that Part of the world, I have relatives up in Sitka and have been out fishing plenty of times and gotta say your killing me !! LOL I love Salmon and Hali. Last time up I did snag a real nice ling to and it is unglier than sin but cooked up real nice. The Wife and I have been talking about road triping up to Prince Ruppert and getting on the Alaska ferry there and taking that up to Sitka next summer. I've heard that part of B.C. is pristine. Anyways just wanted to say I envy the hell outta you and keep those pics coming before winter sets in and the lights shut off
well,if you hit rupert i'm just across hecate strait so you should hop a ferry and come visit.

fishing season's about done now,so this thread will be put away with the boat for a while....but it will get some more action in a few months.i like to get started early,like the beginning of march.

just have to chip the ice off the boat:D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals