• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fishing haida gwaii

clvanhorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok now, that's enough of the fishing. Don't ya think it's about time to get a little more work done on the GT? JK, enjoy the fishing while you can, I know I would be if I were there. Not close enough to the coast to go there, and I can't catch anything in the local lakes.

On other note I might end up with a boat before the years out. There's a guy here with a 89 Spectrum 1700. It's a 17' aluminum hull Fish & Ski, with a 50 horse force outboard. Currently not running and the guy is asking 1500. Cosmetically the thing is in good shape for the age, but I haven't checked out the deck. I figure if I can talk the guy down to at least $1000 it might be a nice little project. I should leave it alone but something about it catches my eye more than anything else I've seen for sale in the area. I like the aluminum hull for the weight, and the layout because I really want more of a cruiser and this is set up like bow rider but the pads can be removed up front to expose a casting deck w/ livewell, storage and icebox. I figure if I can pick it up for 1000 and it's a 200 dollar fix like the guy claims I can have a nice little boat for cheap. If the motor is shot I'll watch for something with ~85 horse (max rating for this hull), swap motors, and sell the other boat.

true, might be a fun project, but if it needs a motor, just remember how expensive they can be... around me, you usually have to figure about 100 bucks per horse for the bigger motors, so for a 50 horse you're looking about 5g's new...

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok now, that's enough of the fishing. Don't ya think it's about time to get a little more work done on the GT? JK, enjoy the fishing while you can, I know I would be if I were there. Not close enough to the coast to go there, and I can't catch anything in the local lakes.

On other note I might end up with a boat before the years out. There's a guy here with a 89 Spectrum 1700. It's a 17' aluminum hull Fish & Ski, with a 50 horse force outboard. Currently not running and the guy is asking 1500. Cosmetically the thing is in good shape for the age, but I haven't checked out the deck. I figure if I can talk the guy down to at least $1000 it might be a nice little project. I should leave it alone but something about it catches my eye more than anything else I've seen for sale in the area. I like the aluminum hull for the weight, and the layout because I really want more of a cruiser and this is set up like bow rider but the pads can be removed up front to expose a casting deck w/ livewell, storage and icebox. I figure if I can pick it up for 1000 and it's a 200 dollar fix like the guy claims I can have a nice little boat for cheap. If the motor is shot I'll watch for something with ~85 horse (max rating for this hull), swap motors, and sell the other boat.
i'd jump at that deal if it was here,but do you know what the issue with the motor is?
i've found those to be pretty tough,and most issues with them can be resolved with a good carb service.as for the gt,it's been on my mind big-time lately.with the summer weather i'd much rather be driving that than stretch around.
true, might be a fun project, but if it needs a motor, just remember how expensive they can be... around me, you usually have to figure about 100 bucks per horse for the bigger motors, so for a 50 horse you're looking about 5g's new...
that's about the price scale here too.the bigger motors get really pricy,a 225 verado is in the 18k range....before taxes and installation:shok:

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The fishing pixs looks admirable & yummy. Keep updating with more snapshots (so we know the fish tales are true)!!

i'd jump at that deal if it was here,but do you know what the issue with the motor is? i've found those to be pretty tough,and most issues with them can be resolved with a good carb service.
The carb service is a good idea since ethanol added to gas tends to clog the fuel delivery systems. We have a local who does boat inspections & his first priority is to make sure the motor has compression. That info alone makes him to initiate or break the deal-

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i'd jump at that deal if it was here,but do you know what the issue with the motor is?
i've found those to be pretty tough,and most issues with them can be resolved with a good carb service.as for the gt,it's been on my mind big-time lately.with the summer weather i'd much rather be driving that than stretch around.
According to the owner he gets annual servicing done at the same shop. When he took it in for service this year they informed him that it needed something for the CDI, but he couldn't recall the exact name of the part. The way he was talking it sounded like the switch box/CDI control module. I've seen the place that told him that though, and I suspect that they may have been trying to pull a fast one on the guy. Even so I will try to talk with them and see what they can tell me, they way they respond will also tell me a lot about the shop. I want to do some checking out myself before I make a decision. I need to find out how to test that system and verify which part it is. I think I am going to wait for him to drop the price one more time (probably be in a couple weeks) and then see what I can figure out.

This is the boat:

The duct tape you see in the bottom of the third pic is the only upholstery damage I spotted.

Last edited:

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is the boat:

The duct tape you see in the bottom of the third pic is the only upholstery damage I spotted.
tow it up here and i'll buy it right now.to hell with the motor:icon_thumby:

seriously,if you buy it i can help walk you through the motor repairs.det 107 had the right idea with the compression test-you dont need anything fancy,just a thumb over the plug hole will give a pretty good idea-two strokes are generally all or nothing on compression.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's why I'd be looking for used. Most likely find another boat with the size motor I'm looking for, swap them and resell the other boat. Like I mentioned I'd be looking for something in the 75-85 horse range with power t&t. I could probably pick up a bass boat for around 1000-1500 with the motor size I want, and resell it for a couple hundred less after the motor swap. I just don't like pure bass boats that's why I haven't been looking at them.

tow it up here and i'll buy it right now.to hell with the motor:icon_thumby:

seriously,if you buy it i can help walk you through the motor repairs.det 107 had the right idea with the compression test-you dont need anything fancy,just a thumb over the plug hole will give a pretty good idea-two strokes are generally all or nothing on compression.
That's pretty much the reaction I had when I saw it. I really need to sell my motorcycle first. Just had the tank repainted and it'll be getting listed locally probably next week. If I get what I want for it that would more than cover the price of that boat and any repairs it might need.

If I get it I might just take you up on that offer. My other go to guy would be my father, as he's been working on everything from small engines to larger stuff like tractors, bulldozers, etc. for most of his life. I don't think the engine itself will be any problems, but the ignition system is something else. Fixing this motor would be temporary fix at best though. I really would like a larger motor, but more importantly one with power Tilt & Trim. I've been on boats without it, and then dad's new (well couple years old now) bass boat has it and makes a world of difference.

Funny thing, showed pictured of it to my dad and he had suggested not messing with it. Well mom told me why today. It appears he liked the boat but really dislikes the motor. Apparently a couple months before I was born my dad had borrowed his step-father's boat, while he and mom were out on the lake the motor literally blew up. That boat had a force 50 on it.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I get it I might just take you up on that offer. My other go to guy would be my father, as he's been working on everything from small engines to larger stuff like tractors, bulldozers, etc. for most of his life. I don't think the engine itself will be any problems, but the ignition system is something else. Fixing this motor would be temporary fix at best though. I really would like a larger motor, but more importantly one with power Tilt & Trim. I've been on boats without it, and then dad's new (well couple years old now) bass boat has it and makes a world of difference.

Funny thing, showed pictured of it to my dad and he had suggested not messing with it. Well mom told me why today. It appears he liked the boat but really dislikes the motor. Apparently a couple months before I was born my dad had borrowed his step-father's boat, while he and mom were out on the lake the motor literally blew up. That boat had a force 50 on it.
power tilt certainly is a BIG plus.that's why i took off my pretty 20 merc kicker and swapped on a newer 9.9 yamaha with power everything.
the ignition on that force is a pretty basic deal,it's got the same cdi unit as all the mercs with 3 or 6 cylinders from '76 to the mid 90s.my 115 has a pair of them,i also have a '78 70hp merc with the same thing.the next generation cdi units can be easilly adapted as well.
those cdi boxes are $225 new,but are common used for cheap(force is a devision of mercury,as is mariner).i know the market there is a little different there than here,but i coud get $1200 just for the trailer that boat is on....the boat(minus engine)could fetch about 3g or so.

i should really head down that way with a big-ass trailer and buy up a bunch of cheap boats and haul them back up here.i'd make a killing:icon_hornsup:

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so i went out on monday with the german tourists,but i forgot the camera.we got some nice halibut,including a 50 pounder,but the seas got too big before we could get the gear down for salmon.

as for today,i went out with a customer,but it was as a freind...not business.

it was a little grey today,but reasonably smooth out.

this is a boat that comes up every year...a multi-million dollar 90' motor yacht.while nice and cushy,i can't imagine fishing off this behemoth.the dingy on top is about the size of my boat.

my share of the catch.a nice little hali,some coho,and a rock cod.my buddy got three coho that didn't make it into the pic.

we were trying for chinook,as was everyone else out there,but the coho are so thick right now it's hard to get past them for springs.tough problem to live with:D

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
had to go do a service call on a boat this morning.it was pretty major work(replaced a circuit breaker)so the owner and myself decided it would be a good idea to take it out for a test run.

heading out of port,everything seems good

seems to work while trolling too.

yup...that circuit breaker catches coho well too....better try it at the hali grounds.

passes all the testing.that's a 60 pound hali(with a 18 looking like a mini on it)that i hauled up from 300'.

another job well done:icon_thumby:

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

incidentally,for the uninitiated,that's what about $750(retail market value)worth of fresh haida gwaii halibut looks like.

i don't get any money for it,but i do share with those that need it.i can't eat all i catch.

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i don't get any money for it......
Could you sell your catch when you come into port or sell to local fish market(s) ?? I also have "clients" who will buy my fish (fair price but break even)-

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Could you sell your catch when you come into port or sell to local fish market(s) ?? I also have "clients" who will buy my fish (fair price but break even)-
that's actually quite illegal....i could be in for a big fine and have a hard time ever getting a fishing licence again.fisheries officers are on the watch for such infractions because halibut is so valuable right now.

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that's actually quite illegal....
I can see your point & don't risk it. The DEP (demanding extra payments) is on the lookout for poachers or anglers who overfish. Happy Eating !!

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can see your point & don't risk it. The DEP (demanding extra payments) is on the lookout for poachers or anglers who overfish. Happy Eating !!
:icon_thumby:

i'll continue to share,but being in a community of less than 1000 people,you can't do anything without everyone knowing....helps keep folks honest:D

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well,i convinced the wife to go fishing with me yesterday,and she caught her first fish ever.

that's a 70lb hali in the middle,caught on a salmon rod with 30lb line.

we had a pretty good day.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals