• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First Gen Premium Sound System -- 85 B2

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My B2 has the "premium sound system".

I'm not sure what all that entails? Special amp or head unit? I know I have a cassette head unit.

I am thinking I would like to keep it pretty well stock, but I have a dash speaker that seems to be shot.

Are they any decent replacements out there that fit well?

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
@ford4wd08 - What year model is your B2? I'm about to leave for work tonight, but I will reply to you tomorrow morning.
1985 premium sound with cassette deck. Dash speakers and the ones in the panels on the B2.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Also, is there an easy way to add bluetooth for making phone calls to an old stereo like this easily?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also, is there an easy way to add bluetooth for making phone calls to an old stereo like this easily?
It has been done but it depends on your definition of "easily"

@BlackBII

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Hey man. I was just working on replying to you.

In your dash are what we called "Ford 5" 3-hole" speakers back when this size was used. In the rear side panels are 6" x 8" speakers. Both of these sizes were Ford-only size and mounting.

On the dash speakers, it is possible to make 3", 3 1/2" or 4" speakers fit, rigged into the 3-holer mounting. Depth can be an issue, and in my opinion, the smaller adapted speakers never did (or do) sound as good as the larger OEM size. I did a little googling this morning, and it appears that you're not going to find any new exact direct replacement speakers.
Here is a TRS thread from 2008 on the subject:
https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/front-speakers-not-3-1-2-what-are-they.12634/

On the 6" x 8" in the rear, it looks like this size may still be available in some aftermarket brands, but the ones I see on the internet look like "hybrids", in that they're a little smaller and have extra mounting ears so that they can cover both the Ford 6x8 and the old Chrysler 5" x 7" "football" speaker size.

I'd have to dig through some old manuals, but 1985 may have been the first year Premium Sound was offered in the Ranger and Bronco II. It was first year of the single-DIN radio chassis ('84 had the old "3 hole" radios). It appears that the Premium Sound (PS) amp was mounted below the center of the dash, and only amplified the rear speakers. I'm pretty sure I remember working on some of these trucks new, as I remember the PS-equipped trucks using the 1983 metal upper dash panel, with the three speaker plates. On these the dash speakers were in the corners and the amp was mounted in the center hole beneath a smooth blank plate ('83 AM trucks mounted a single 6x8 here). Is your truck set up like this?

Bluetooth, I just don't know, but I'm sure that others here may be able to answer that one.

Be on the lookout for a PM from me.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey man. I was just working on replying to you.

In your dash are what we called "Ford 5" 3-hole" speakers back when this size was used. In the rear side panels are 6" x 8" speakers. Both of these sizes were Ford-only size and mounting.

On the dash speakers, it is possible to make 3", 3 1/2" or 4" speakers fit, rigged into the 3-holer mounting. Depth can be an issue, and in my opinion, the smaller adapted speakers never did (or do) sound as good as the larger OEM size. I did a little googling this morning, and it appears that you're not going to find any new exact direct replacement speakers.
Here is a TRS thread from 2008 on the subject:
https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/front-speakers-not-3-1-2-what-are-they.12634/

On the 6" x 8" in the rear, it looks like this size may still be available in some aftermarket brands, but the ones I see on the internet look like "hybrids", in that they're a little smaller and have extra mounting ears so that they can cover both the Ford 6x8 and the old Chrysler 5" x 7" "football" speaker size.

I'd have to dig through some old manuals, but 1985 may have been the first year Premium Sound was offered in the Ranger and Bronco II. It was first year of the single-DIN radio chassis ('84 had the old "3 hole" radios). It appears that the Premium Sound (PS) amp was mounted below the center of the dash, and only amplified the rear speakers. I'm pretty sure I remember working on some of these trucks new, as I remember the PS-equipped trucks using the 1983 metal upper dash panel, with the three speaker plates. On these the dash speakers were in the corners and the amp was mounted in the center hole beneath a smooth blank plate ('83 AM trucks mounted a single 6x8 here). Is your truck set up like this?

Bluetooth, I just don't know, but I'm sure that others here may be able to answer that one.

Be on the lookout for a PM from me.
It is definitely Premium sound as I have the emblem by the radio.

I know it has corner speakers.

I do have a new dash pad that includes the speakers to put in the B2. I picked it up a guy who was about scrap his.

It only has the two holes. That is why I am asking about speakers now. It will be much easier to do them while I swap in the new interior that I have for mine.

You can also see my stock stereo in one of these pictures. It is not digital. Has two knobs for tuning and volume.

The cassette player was working, but was playing the cassette way to fast... Not sure if that is an easy fix or not.

Attachments

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Nice score on the interior!

According to the '85 shop manual, the amp lives in the dash behind the radio. And the speakers will be easier done when you're doing the dash swap.

On your cassette player problem: If it is an easy fix, it will be that the unit ate a cassette, and wound some of it's tape around the capstan roller. Get a good flashlight, and look at the pin (capstan) close to the rubber roller. See if you see some tape wrapped around the capstan pin. If this is the cause of the problem, it's easier with the head unit out, and opened up to dig it out. Used to make pick and cutter tools out of old antennas to do this through the tape door. Carefully clean in there with isopropyl alcohol, too.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Nice score on the interior!

According to the '85 shop manual, the amp lives in the dash behind the radio. And the speakers will be easier done when you're doing the dash swap.

On your cassette player problem: If it is an easy fix, it will be that the unit ate a cassette, and wound some of it's tape around the capstan roller. Get a good flashlight, and look at the pin (capstan) close to the rubber roller. See if you see some tape wrapped around the capstan pin. If this is the cause of the problem, it's easier with the head unit out, and opened up to dig it out. Used to make pick and cutter tools out of old antennas to do this through the tape door. Carefully clean in there with isopropyl alcohol, too.
I've been sitting on that interior for a year lol. It is time to install. I plan on power washing the carpet and doing some other things while I'm in there.

Thanks for the tips on the cassette player. I'll look into it!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Premium Sound must not have been a very hot item. I have only seen one dash bezel marked as such in real life and it now resides my truck lol.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Premium Sound must not have been a very hot item. I have only seen one dash bezel marked as such in real life and it now resides my truck lol.
I would think it was more of a B2 item as they had more room for speakers and such in the rear....

The radio doesn't sound horrible for being 35 years old, but one of the speakers is going out.

Thanks to @RobbieD I'll have a fix for that soon.

No onto how I can handle the hands free driving/talking law in TN these days.

I tried the small bluetooth speaker that clips to the visor, but didn't have much luck with it.

I would like to add bluetooth for making phone calls somehow and retain the stock radio for looks.

I'll have to see what type of adapters are out there.....

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would think it was more of a B2 item as they had more room for speakers and such in the rear....
BII's were aimed at a different market too.

Either way I haven't came across any others with the dash bezel marked "Premium Sound" BII or Ranger.

Standard cab Rangers had optional rear speakers mounted in boxes, I have a pair in mine. Much more common in second and third gens as the trucks became less utilitarian.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals