• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First Gen Premium Sound System -- 85 B2

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I don't know what the inside of your radio looks like, but basically what you need to do is override the preamp signal with your bluetooth receiver, so that your radios amp plays the music/calls.

This is how I did it, but my radio is of the newer digital style. Not sure what yours will have

There is also this company, who may make one that works for your dash

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/

Finally got around to adding an aux input to my factory radio. I tried the Bluetooth board I bought, but kept having ground noise issues, so I just used an aux cable instead.

I soldered the left and right wires of the aux cable to the L and R #2 inputs(AM Radio) on the preamp chip and ground to ground. This way I still get to use the chips equalizer and balance settings. I desoldered the AM tuner connections so that I won't get any buzzing. So now if I want AUX, I set the radio to AM. FM Radio still works great.

Here's some pics and the data sheet of the chip in my radio. Note - The left and right are shown here as being soldered to the #3 inputs. I switched these later to the #2 inputs, overriding the AM signal.
My phone puts out too much voltage, so I'll have to add a 100k trimmer pot so I can tone it down, but my battery powered 3.5mm Bluetooth receiver works great.

1992 factory radio with added Bluetooth round 2.

I added a step down voltage converter and an isolated 12-5v converter.

This got rid of the ground loop noise. :icon_thumby:

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't know what the inside of your radio looks like, but basically what you need to do is override the preamp signal with your bluetooth receiver, so that your radios amp plays the music/calls.

This is how I did it, but my radio is of the newer digital style. Not sure what yours will have

There is also this company, who may make one that works for your dash

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/
Thanks for the info.

I might just go the aux input route and have something else stand alone for bluetooth.... Just have to see.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Yeah those will work!. They are effectively doing the same thing, only they're passing the signal through the radio receiver. I wanted to avoid doing that to prevent any interference, and I also wanted to have all the components hard wired internally.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can see where that would be of benefit.

I am guessing that with this being in the antenna spot, surely it would be better than the ones that just plug into the cigarette lighter.

Also, this supposedly blocks the signal from the antenna.... I'll probably gamble on this as an easy install.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals