• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front Speakers NOT 3 1/2" - What are they?

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I posted a week or so ago regarding replacing the crackling 20 year old speakers in the dash of my '87 BroncoII. After not finding anything suitable at WALMART, I bit the proverbial bullet, checked the sizing chart in the TRS Tech Section, and ordered a pair of Pioneer 3 1/2" TS-A878 speakers (I wanted to have speakers in hand - $46/pr. delivered).

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the speakers in the dash (factory) are NOT 3 1/2" as listed in the Tech section. They appear to be something closer to 5" (they do not appear to be 5 1/4"), and have three (not two, not four) mounting holes. So . . .

Has anybody replaced their front in-dash '87-ish speakers with after-market units? If so, what make and model and source? I would prefer a set of low-end Pioneer's, but cannot find anything in 5", or with a three hole pattern.

As usual, any help appreciated. Thanks.

CraigK

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
when i did mine, i had what i think were 3" speakers that i put in. i took the old speakers and cut the steel ring from the top. its the piece that mounts to the dash. then i cut and ground as needed to make the smaller speakers sit inside of that ring. i attached them to each other with some pop rivets, then put the speaker back in the dash. basically i used the original (junk) speakers to make an adapter for the other speakers to fit into.

Dusty_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i used a set of clarion 3.5 inch and made an adapter mounting bracket using the original speakers as a template the cute a hole in the template for the clarion and it fits perfect it was made out of sheet metal and sounds often

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys.

I thought about doing that also. But going from 5" speakers to 3 1/2" is not what I want to do - sound quality wise. I found the Pioneer audio site which has a feature to identify speakers that match specific vehicles. What this shows is several 5 1/4" models for the front, and 6" x 8" models for the rear. I'm going to give a 5 1/4" set a try (Model TS-G1341R - WALMART has 'em for $38). I think that instead of using the four mounting tabs that stick out from round part of the 5 1/4" speakers, I'll have to drill the three hole BroncoII pattern in the outer periphery of the speakers themselves.

If this works I'll post details.

CraigK

Oh Yeah . . . I have a very nice set of A Series Pioneer 3 1/2" speakers NIB for sale!
(Can't be returned.)

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The original speakers in your truck are 4", not 5". It's a very common size.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Back in the day we called these speakers "Ford 5" 3-hole".

It is a Ford-only size and mounting. I doubt that you're going going to find a "name-brand" direct replacement, but decent-sounding replacements should be available. Call around the specialty stereo shops in your area, and tell them that you're looking for an OEM-replacement speaker, and ask if they stock or can get them. Be careful that the shop doesn't assume that you'll take 3", 3 1/2" or 4" speakers rigged into the 3-holer mounting; you're looking for the correct "OEM direct replacement" size.

Companies that probably still make this speaker are Audiovox or Omega, although I'm sure there's other brands. I put the Omega Ford 5" in my '84 when I put the stock radio back in, and it sounds just fine.

Or, you might try altering some standard 5 1/4" speakers. Besides as you say the speaker basket will need to drilled, I'm just not sure if there's enough diameter space in the stock holes, and I know the driver's side is pretty tight on the cluster and vent regarding the magnet. Whichever route you go, good luck!

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
we just put new speakers in my buddies 86 last nite.. bought some 5.25 an put them in.. caught one screw hole an it was good to go.

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Got them in, with only minor modifications (Pioneer 5 1/4" TS-G1342R speakers - $38/pair at Walmart). I removed three of the four mounting tabs (they just bend and snap off), and ground two slight grooves for the other two mounting screws using the old speakers to mark the hole locations. The new speakers sound very nice.

It might be helpful to others trying to replace their factory speakers if the Tech Section was revised to indicate 5" (couldn't find any 5" available now) or 5 1/4" speakers rather than the 3 1/2" size shown.

CraigK

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Good deal! Glad to hear that you got it done, and thanks for posting what you did to make it work.

RangerMan64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Can you post a picture of what you did to the speaker? I am going to buy some new speakers for the dash and am having a hard time following what you wrote. Thanks

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

That's what you need. If you call Crutchfield and order speakers through them for the dash location they should (or used to) include the brackets for free.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Way back shortly after I got my truck in '00 I put 4" Polk speakers in. As I remember they were too deep and interfered with the heat ducts if I tried to mount them like Ford did, so I took the grilles out of my parts truck and cut holes for the speakers to stick thru, and drilled four mounting holes for the bolts to hold the speakers. I used nuts to shim up the mounting surface since the dask has a curve to it. The windshield trim blocks the majority of the gap, what you can see from the side is minor. They still sound really nice and I don't think they look too bad either, it is kind of neat to watch the cones jump up and down thru the grilles on a bassy song too. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals