• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First gen blues. 87 2.9

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
FWIW a 2.3 ECM isnt going to run a 2.9

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
You are RIGHT, bruddah!! I sure hated to see this one bite the dust when I have been jump starting off of it for the last 20 years. And yep, the cables were on the right posts. ;) Just one of those things I reckon.
Can you get me a photo of the tags on your ecm? 10% chance I have one here that I can exchange for yours.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work

I would unplug the computers connector and check inside for corrosion, also check ground wires around the computer, make sure they are tight

Also do as PJ412 said and get him a picture of computer label

pin 22 on the computer should be a GROUND on boot up and then no ground until engine starts, then its a ground again
So ground for computer is important, and good wire connection
That's what turns on the FP Relay

You can operate vehicle with jumper on the OBD1 connector in place, yes there is a safety concern because computer would shut off FP relay when engine stalled in an accident, but really up to you
Its not harmful to the electronics just a possible fire hazard

rebel ranger

Reaction score
Can you get me a photo of the tags on your ecm? 10% chance I have one here that I can exchange for yours.
10-4, thanks PJunkie.
The only tags on the computer are in the pic I posted when I started the thread Wednesday. Is that not what you are looking for? I put that in there just for that purpose, in case there is someone in here that just happens to have one of these puppies. :D
Rusty
Is this fact from personal experience? Only asking because I have seen some EECs listed that will work in Ford vehicles with engines from 2.3, up to V8s, is that not the case with the Ranger EECs?
Good work

I would unplug the computers connector and check inside for corrosion, also check ground wires around the computer, make sure they are tight

Also do as PJ412 said and get him a picture of computer label

pin 22 on the computer should be a GROUND on boot up and then no ground until engine starts, then its a ground again
So ground for computer is important, and good wire connection
That's what turns on the FP Relay

You can operate vehicle with jumper on the OBD1 connector in place, yes there is a safety concern because computer would shut off FP relay when engine stalled in an accident, but really up to you
Its not harmful to the electronics just a possible fire hazard
Thanks Ron, I'll do that next. If that doesn't cure the problem, I have a bad(also a good one) EEC out of my '88 that I can pull apart and study the PCB on to see what may have gone bad in the '87 EEC. This can't be rocket surgery. Would the good EEC out of the 2.3 '88 not run the 2.9 '87, as rusty suggests? BTW, the pic is in the original post from Wednesday.

Thanks for all the help from TRS!! You guys rock! (y)(y)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, the 2.3LITER computer has air/fuel mix tables for that size engine, its a speed density table as well so can't self adjust very much, also different spark input for injector timing IIRC

You could use it to see if FP relay worked with key on, the 2 second "click" on and off, that part is the same, that would tell you if problem is IN the computer or in the wiring to computer from FP relay

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
What Ron said lol.

If it was another V6 ECM (like a early 3.0) you could pry get away with it for testing purposes, but the 2.3 just is to far away on the spectrum.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I jumped the test plug to ground and both relays clicked, pump came on, engine started and ran like it always did.
If both relays clicked, that is a sign that it is not the computer. The computer does not run the main ECM relay, that comes from the ignition switch. But if you look at the diagram I posted, the main relay AND the ECM both share the same grounding system.

The computer does run the fuel relay, it does not run the other main ECM relay.

rebel ranger

Reaction score
Ok, this is what I got when I pulled the plug in connector out of the puter box. Where do I find a pin out for this computer? I see a bit of green corrosion around the base of that pin that came out of the bulkhead connector.

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
pin numbers here: http://www.auto-diagnostics.info/ford_eec_iv

Remove jumper from OBD1 connector for this test

With connector unplugged when you turn key on you should have 12volts in the hole for pin 22, that would mean wire is OK

rebel ranger

Reaction score
Correctomundo!! I plugged it in to see if the fuel pump relay and pump buzzed up, it did!! Yay. So of course, I had to try it. It fired up, but it was running rough like the timing was way off, so I turned it off after it ran a second like that. Fuel pump worked with it though, so that tells me it was the factory EEC that was bad. But we already knew that after the previous tests I did, plus the pulled out pin in the bulkhead connection point on the puter.
pin numbers here: http://www.auto-diagnostics.info/ford_eec_iv

Remove jumper from OBD1 connector for this test

With connector unplugged when you turn key on you should have 12volts in the hole for pin 22, that would mean wire is OK
I'm sure it's all good on that side of the connection since the '88 EEC would turn the fuel pump on. I was more or less wanting to find out which pin that is that pulled out of the computer. I'll look at the pin out and see if I can tell what pin it is. Thanks again.

rebel ranger

Reaction score
Depending on what configuration the photo is in on that page, the pin that came out of my computer is either #1, (not used), or #20 (case ground).

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can go here: http://www.fuelinjectedford.com/page17.html
to maybe see what "software" code will work for you, thats the Stamped number on the label not the part number
(good site to bookmark if you want to read up on the old EEC-IV system)

There are a few 2.9l codes listed
You need a 2.9l EEC that matches what you have
Manual or automatic
EGR or no EGR, I think they all had EGRs in 1987

2WD or 4x4 doesn't matter

So basically you are just try to match manual or automatic

Ford never released this info, so there is no cross reference

rebel ranger

Reaction score
RonD, can you look at the picture I posted of the busted pin, and the picture on the first link you send me for the pin out and tell me what # pin pulled out of my computer?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Pin 1 unused

Look on the wiring harness side to see if there is a wire there

The pins are all at a bit of an angle / / / / ect, thats how you can tell along with the tab out just under 41 and 42

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Ok, this is what I got when I pulled the plug in connector out of the puter box. Where do I find a pin out for this computer? I see a bit of green corrosion around the base of that pin that came out of the bulkhead connector.
Well **** that ain't good.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals