• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Finally, my official project truck

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Yes,its a little to close for my comfort. Although this truck will be my everyday driver travel truck.. You know I'm hunting that low 11 second time slip .. It will happen just once.then it will never see the 'track'again"
What amazed me was when I set the mock up short block down in there.. Then bolted the transsmision up.. It did not squat one bit!
I know what you mean. You will find that the engine package doesn't seem to move much even under torque. I thought that with the clearance at the pan being so tight it would at some point make contact. I check mine from time to time and have not found any evidence that it has touched. I still plan to create a little more room when the engine comes out for the first time.

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I now have the entire engine and trans bolted in. I have to say I am blown away. The truck did not squat 1 inch! I'm sure once I start driving it it will settle some , but still!
This is ONLY the mock up stage.. I'm just getting a feel of how this all works and where everything fits.
I do have a question. I'm using the entire expo harnesses including the charging system.. I've been reading and seen that the 5 wire round plug is where the two wires has to be moved for the Ac? I do not have the books ,doing all this off of reading on other swaps.
Can someone verify if that is the case?
I can't post any more pics right now..says over the limit.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Solenoid wire plug
This plug is right underneath the lines that come off the abs.
The explorer and the ranger plug do not match up. (I think they were both male)
The Ranger plug has 5 wires
Yellow/white strip (Starter solenoid wire)
Red/yellow strip (signal wire high/low pressure a/c switch)
Black-white strip (ground for high/low pressure a/c switch)
Gray/white stripe(a/c clutch relay signal wire)
Black wire(a/c clutch relay ground wire)
Explorer plug has 3 wires
Yellow/white strip (Starter solenoid wire)
Gray/white stripe(a/c clutch relay signal wire)
Black wire(a/c clutch relay ground wire)
The reason the other two are not in there is because they come out by the radiator. So just wire up the 3 wire plug from the explorer and your good to go.

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks bro.. Appreciate it.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I now have the entire engine and trans bolted in. I have to say I am blown away. The truck did not squat 1 inch! I'm sure once I start driving it it will settle some , but still!
This is ONLY the mock up stage.. I'm just getting a feel of how this all works and where everything fits.
I do have a question. I'm using the entire expo harnesses including the charging system.. I've been reading and seen that the 5 wire round plug is where the two wires has to be moved for the Ac? I do not have the books ,doing all this off of reading on other swaps.
Can someone verify if that is the case?
I can't post any more pics right now..says over the limit.
Funny you say that about the weight. I have not put the 99 Ranger on the scale but my 93 V8 Ranger had the same set up and it only gained 60 lbs with the swap over the 3.0 V6 5 speed. I put it on the scale at the Port of Tampa before and after the conversion. Since September 11, 2001 the Port of Tampa is no longer open to the general public.

Looks like Craig has you set up on the AC wires. Sounds pretty much like mine going from memory.

Attachments

Last edited:

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Jeff.. I'm a visual type..I kind of need to see it. Going off what Craig said
I think I know what to do..

But yes..on the fitment and the chassis compared to all off the s10's I've built over the years, the ranger is a lot better! When you drop a small block in an s10..you see it squat immediately!

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Thanks Jeff.. I'm a visual type..I kind of need to see it. Going off what Craig said
I think I know what to do..

But yes..on the fitment and the chassis compared to all off the s10's I've built over the years, the ranger is a lot better! When you drop a small block in an s10..you see it squat immediately!
I have had three sets of front springs in the 99 trying to get the height right where I wanted it. It always seems to settle about 1/2 inch over the first 90 days. Just set it up a little bit higher then you want.

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Taking notes on that spring situation!

So..when I pulled the motor/trans out of the black 2000..I pulled the engine harness with it. No biggie..I have my white 99 to look over..
Well.. That plug for the starter and Ac is different between the to years.. One is just like the one Jeff pictures,on the 99 and the 2000 plug is more square. Same wires...just different plugs.
So now I just have solder couple more wires..no biggie!
Trucks are identicle with same options , the 99 is flex fuel only difference

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well after looking at the plugs again.. the 2000 has (2) big yellow wires.. I need to get a book I guess to seen what the wires go to.. have a look.
Dark photo is the 2000 ranger side of the plug
The other is the 99 side. .

Attachments

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Here is one more photo of the wiring I used from the Explorer Engine harness. I did need to splice in the small battery harness and the plug you mention above. That was all the main electrical modifications I remember. The Flex Fuel wiring was the same. The DTR Sensor and the O2's needed some changes but that is it.

Attachments

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hmmm... On my plug, the 99 flex fuel has two yellow wires.. And a different style plug than my 2000 . Not sure why that it the case.
Appreciate the pics Bro!.
By the way, that is the exact battery harness I have from the donor.

Last edited:

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Hmmm... On my plug, the 99 flex fuel has two yellow wires.. And a different style plug than my 2000 . Not sure why that it the case.
Appreciate the pics Bro!.
By the way, that is the exact battery harness I have from the donor.
I am pretty sure I didn't do anything with the Flex Fuel wiring except delete the Flex Fuel unit. I unplugged it under the driver seat on the exterior of the cab and replaced the section of fuel line from the filter forward with a OEM non Flex Fuel line from a salvage vehicle. If there were any unused wires I just capped them off or eliminated them all together.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals