• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fan makes a loud noise like rubbing when heater on - 1984 4x4 manual

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Definitely going to order a new one today.

Considering replacing the heater core too since it doesn't feel like it puts out very much heat. Does that sounds like a good idea?
I would wait on a heater core change at this point unless there are signs of it leaking. The reasoning for waiting is with a new fan installed you will now have much more air flowing through the heater core to pick that heat up and move it into the cab.

Signs of a leaking heater core: strong smell of anti-freeze (more pronounced with blower fan going), wet floor board on passenger side (usually the padding under the rug will be wet BUT as 85_ranger4x4 mentioned a plugged cowl drains can also cause wet floor boards.), loss of anti-freeze with no signs being under the hood or out of the exhaust.

All of the fore mentioned signs together point to the heater core leaking and needing a replacement.

RJMacReady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Replaced the blower motor today and it's working good.

I let her warm up to about 190 on the temp gauge but still felt like my heat was only kind of warm. Defrosted alright but i felt like it took awhile. I bought a new heater core so I am probably going to change that as well while I'm at it.

RJMacReady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I re-read your message Bgunner... Does a heater core only go bad if it's leaky? I suppose it works by simply radiating heat from the coolant right? Seems like that's the only way it could go bad if so. I guess I'll just hang on to the new one for the future, as I don't seem to have any signs of leakage.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
I re-read your message Bgunner... Does a heater core only go bad if it's leaky? I suppose it works by simply radiating heat from the coolant right? Seems like that's the only way it could go bad if so. I guess I'll just hang on to the new one for the future, as I don't seem to have any signs of leakage.
The heater core is just a mini radiator and is susceptible to the same issues like getting clogged. There are 2 ways they can go "bad" and that is a leak or get plugged to the point that it can not be back flushed out. It is possible that the tubes in the heater core have collected debree over the years and is now not allowing the coolant to flow through the whole core reducing the heat that it can exchange. Normally in this case I would back flush the core, meaning flow water backwards through the core to flush it, and then retest the system to see if it made a remarkable difference before changing it out.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Could also get clogged, not allowing enough hot coolant to flow through and in turn not getting much temp.

Could take the hoses off and try and run some hose water through forwards and reverse.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My motor is starting to make some noise.

I might replace mine as well..

How much air output should I expect from a first gen?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals