• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

explorer leaf swap didnt work???

scrizzo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hopefully some of you can tell me what went wrong...i have a 2000 4wd that the springs were flat...so after reading a bunch i thought explorer leafs would be the best option...i went to my local u-pick and found a set off a 98 4 door with 80000 miles looked like they were in great shape.(happened to be an eddie bauer dont know if it makes a diff?) got both for 50 bucks took em home and installed them on my truck...

after it was back on the ground i may have gained maybe half an inch and i kept the stock block also. everything ive read is i should have gained about 2 inches at least?

one other peice of info the 4 door springs didnt have an overload on the bottom...would it make a differenence other than the half inch for the width if i was to take the one off the old ranger pack and put it on the explorer leafs?

i know this is long winded but im kinda stumped...what about frankensteining the old ranger and explorer springs together?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
You can add extra leafs if you want, just make sure the lengths are all staggered with the shortest on the bottom. Do you have a heavy toolbox or something else in your truck?

Also, you'll probably need longer spring bolts if you add extra leafs.

Last edited:

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On my B2, I got about 1.5-2" after the swap. B2 springs are real soft. The Ranger springs are in between B2 and Ex springs, so thats probably about right. If you need more, I suggest getting lowering shackles over AALs.

scrizzo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the replies, right now i probably have around 200 lbs in the bed, but should it make it squat that much?....i did notice that the explorer springs made the rear a good bit stiffer and the ride a whole lot better..

im looking to get about 2 more inches in the rear as i have the torsion bars cranked and it has a bit of a backwards rake to it.

Ive read plenty on the shackle and would go with that option but from pics ive seen it looks as if the wheels are pushed forward in the wells... i have a set of 33s comin and i am afraid that would cause problems with clearance until i get my body lift in which may be a few weeks...

Im running 31s now and have plenty of room but dont really wanna chance gouging the new tires or crushing my bed sides

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My swap gave about 2 1/2 inches in the rear. but my leaves were pretty bad.

scrizzo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yea mine were flat almost arching the wrong way. im gonna mix the ranger pack in with the explorer pack and see what happens from there

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I combined the ranger and explorer leafs and built a 6 leaf pack, gained about 3.5 inches....

SVT

scrizzo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks, thats what i was lookin for

scrizzo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just as an update, my explorer leaves did not have the overload springs on them (i guess because it was an eddie bauer)......... so this afternoon i decided to add the ones from the ranger to the pack, it doesnt seem like a big deal but after doing so i was able to gain the full 2 inches versus the half inch i got the first time..

thanks for the help

finally got my 33s on

tanbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So the explorer springs u used only had 3 leafs? I just checked out a few 4 doors, one with the 5.0 the other the 4.0 and they were both 4 leaf, one was rated at 3000 lbs, the other 2950 lbs, but they had the same rear spring code.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Its a misconception, dependig on the vehicle your working on the exploder leaves dont give lift, they are better flex and remove the ranger sway. You can mix match your stock leaves with exploder leaves, basically adding more for a little lift. But the exploder leaf swap isnt designed to increase lift, thats a side benefit depending on your setup. Go to the store and buy 2 inch drop shackles and install them, thats your best bet for the lift and they will work well with exploder springs, I would read all the spring swap writeups in the tech library too, alot of info in there.

scrizzo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i guess those spring packs arent designed to work without an overload (heavy flat spring) on them.. after adding that, i DID get the affect i was looking for....before it looked as if they were recuving over the perch..

BTW i love the way it handles now...aside from being stiff on bumbs it corners like a dream

NEXT: I got the 8.8 outta the same explorer with 4.10s and LS to install :headbang:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals