• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) Esslinger Duratec to SBF Bellhousing Adapter

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
D30... gross... those are just about a giveaway item if you can find a Jeep guy who is upgrading. I wouldn't pay much for one and they're almost not worth the time it takes to install it. Once you add the cost of a gear change it's REALLY not a good deal. The only nice thing about them from our perspective is the bolt pattern. I would really hold out for a D44 from a JK and a matching rear... or a Rubicon TJ D44... or a half ton Ford D44... or I believe some Dodge applications had driver drop D44 axles too. Money spent on a D30 is money wasted.

The trans gear swap deal isn't difficult. May be difficult to convince many shops to take on that project. I have done it several times, the main issue is when you tear yours apart and find worn out parts... you really have to watch for that, it has bit me in the ass.

That 3.0 and t-case is not ideal. You'll have the output shaft you need but the t-case is useless unless you rig up a harness to shift it electronically and it won't have the shifter attachment for a manual t-case on the tailhousing. Moot point if you planned on running an Atlas or something someday but I would really hold out for a 97 or older trans and a 1354 manual shift t-case.

Tikker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My original plan's if the 2.3L couldn't be used was to swap in a 302 v8. But since the 2.3L could be used, I figured it wouldn't be pushing much power to the point of damaging a D30, so why install something more expensive & heavier.

I'm almost tempted to pass on the 2.3L and start working towards a v8 swap. It would involve a body lift to help with header issues & possible bellhousing clearance, but the parts seem easier to come by. I'd definitely upgrade to a D44 front and 8.8 rear if I had more power to run them. A pair of the new Gladiator axles sound cool, but prices are running $4k + for a pair. Although I'd really like to keep it at a factory width axle.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Personally I think you have one of the most reliable, long lasting engines used in the Ranger platform... sure it doesn't make a ton of power but IMO simplicity of repairs trumps power every day in an offroad rig. That said for the same price as a junk D30 you can get an old Ford D44 that is only marginally heavier and has bigger everything...and you can put chromoly shafts or RCVs in it and be totally bulletproof. I think that and an Explorer 8.8 are a stupid strong combo for a 4 cylinder.

I am just sayin' as someone who has V8 and solid axle swapped a Ranger and wheeled it a lot :icon_thumby:

4k for a pair of axles with the right gears, fresh brakes, potential lockers, etc could be a steal. Especially if you skip over building something several times and get what you want right off the bat. Some of the buggy guys I wheel with have 10k+ into ONE axle... I have about 2500 into my D44, it adds up.

Tikker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I did see a set of 2021 Rubicon axles for sale with electronic lockers, 4.10 gears, drive shafts, draglink, & tirerods, complete but minus the rear brakes listed on facebook for $4,600 by a local shop.

Pretty hefty investment, & I'm pretty sure it's a bit inflated due to the pandemic/inflation rates.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
So you just bought a Toyota?

Tikker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
After searching around for specific parts to change out my 2wd to 4wd, I came to the realization that finding the parts was going to be a real issue to build what I wanted. Pretty sure that most Rangers these days are picked clean or were crushed & sold as scrap.

So I ended up deciding that I'd be better off in the long haul to just buy a factory made 4wd. With all the parts I'd have to collect and store away, I didn't want the Mazda to become a project that took years to complete. The truck would have been really cool & the way Ford should have built them, but not an easy task to accomplish second hand in 2021. Maybe if I swapped out the entire drivetrain, but after that a whole other truck can be bought and driven. I'm still keeping the Mazda, but it'll probably get a standard v8 swap later on when the 2.3L gives out.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
So this really happened......

Tikker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
So this really happened......
Yup, I'll be posting some proper pictures sometime before the end of the month if anyone is interested.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
I am.

But your original plan was perfect. So a sad deal to see.

Tikker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
If I come across the parts, it's possible to still go through with it, but it's going to take a long while before I can piece it together.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
@Tikker: One last question for you - does your B2300 have torsion bars or coil spring for front axle?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
@Tikker: One last question for you - does your B2300 have torsion bars or coil spring for front axle?
Oh yea I forgot about that, 2wd torsion bar and 4x4 frames are basically the same. The coil spring 2wd frames are way different than 4x4's. I don't think there is anything you can do with a 2wd coil spring frame since the frame is built around the coils fitting up inside it. :dunno:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Oh yea I forgot about that, 2wd torsion bar and 4x4 frames are basically the same. The coil spring 2wd frames are way different than 4x4's. I don't think there is anything you can do with a 2wd coil spring frame since the frame is built around the coils fitting up inside it. :dunno:

Well....you put a leaf or coil solid axle in it...

Or a ttb.....or a bad ass long a arm ifs....

Or skis.. coilovers trailing....

Anything you want.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Only the 2wd Edge models had torsion bars, the rest are coil springs and completely different. The Edge's you could just get some junkyard parts and make a 4x4 out of it roughly like a 4x2 Bronco II...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals