• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) Esslinger Duratec to SBF Bellhousing Adapter

Tikker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
@Tikker: One last question for you - does your B2300 have torsion bars or coil spring for front axle?
Yes, it has the 2003 coil spring setup. I had figured I would use a coil spring set up on the axle like it came from the late model Cherokee and have a shop cut out as much of the IFS material and brace the engine area to support it, OR have it lifted enough to clear the what's there. The only thing that had me worried was the frame size, I think I recall reading the 2wd frame is a bit narrower than the 4wd/Edge models, so space for a transfer case would possibly make for a tighter fit, unless I spent some big money on an Atlas. But an Atlas case seemed overkill for a 2.3l Duratec & the tire size that I planned to run with no plans to use as a rock crawler.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, it has the 2003 coil spring setup. I had figured I would use a coil spring set up on the axle like it came from the late model Cherokee and have a shop cut out as much of the IFS material and brace the engine area to support it, OR have it lifted enough to clear the what's there. The only thing that had me worried was the frame size, I think I recall reading the 2wd frame is a bit narrower than the 4wd/Edge models, so space for a transfer case would possibly make for a tighter fit, unless I spent some big money on an Atlas. But an Atlas case seemed overkill for a 2.3l Duratec & the tire size that I planned to run with no plans to use as a rock crawler.
@Tikker: If swapping an output shaft on a transmission scares you, doing a Solid Axle Swap (SAS) is a whole level more complex.
When swapping the output shaft, you pull apart the 3.0 4x4 transmission, practice reassembling it then pull your 2.3 4x2 transmission apart. If you get it wrong, the worst that happens is you have to get a replacement 2.3 4x2 transmission.​
If you do a SAS, you will need to weld parts onto the frame in the correct position for the suspension, the brakes and the steering. And if you get it wrong the axle isn't connected to the truck/the truck doesn't stop or steer.​
I'm not saying don't do it; I'm saying understand what you are getting into.​

The frame is narrow where the coil buckets are integrated, by the time you get to the back of the transmission, the frames are identical, so no issues with transfer case fitting.

@scotts90ranger: Even 2wd Edge Rangers need the brackets for the front Dana 35 removed from the donor 4x4 truck and welded into the Edge frame - Order of magnitude easier than a SAS, and would look more factory, but not a SAS...

Question: Did 4x2 Bronco II have the 4x2 Ranger front frame crossmember? Or does it have the standard Bronco II frame crossmember? (Never seen 2wd Bronco II or Explorer this far north in the wild.)

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The 4x2 BII's apparently had 4x4 engine crossmember and pivot brackets, sheet metal formed I beams and a fake transfer case, up til '90 I guess when they used a normal 2wd transmission...

Tikker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
@Tikker: If swapping an output shaft on a transmission scares you, doing a Solid Axle Swap (SAS) is a whole level more complex.
When swapping the output shaft, you pull apart the 3.0 4x4 transmission, practice reassembling it then pull your 2.3 4x2 transmission apart. If you get it wrong, the worst that happens is you have to get a replacement 2.3 4x2 transmission.​
If you do a SAS, you will need to weld parts onto the frame in the correct position for the suspension, the brakes and the steering. And if you get it wrong the axle isn't connected to the truck/the truck doesn't stop or steer.​
I'm not saying don't do it; I'm saying understand what you are getting into.​
I don't presently have a garage to work on a transmission to properly take it apart & keep it organized for reassembly. I had planned to take the truck to a local shop to handle the sas, then take it to another place to handle the transmission work. I know it won't be cheap to have it done, but knowing professionals were doing it right would give me peace of mind.

I've been preparing to have a garage built on my property and have been clearing/grading myself the past few years. But till I have an actual workshop, I'm only doing small repair jobs on my own where I limit time laying down on my gravel driveway or chance of rain prolonging repairs. Once I get a garage I'll be buying things like a welder, I'd feel better knowing it was stored indoors properly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals