• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine Swap Questions

91Dangeranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l lima
Transmission
Manual
So here is the situation, I drive a 1991 ford ranger XLT with the 2.3 liter engine and 5 speed manual transmission, 2wd. My truck is at 200,000 miles now and still running strong. I drive the truck as my daily driver, I also use the truck to haul firewood and furniture, as well as to tow lawnmowers and a boat every now and then. I love the reliability and the gas mileage that my truck gets from 23 mpg city to up to 30 highway. I got the truck from family and I have had it personally about 5 years. This last year I have been doing repairs to catch back up on what is supposed to be normal maintenance on the truck but had been long abused for years. I finally have the truck up to par on maintenance and it runs great.

I am planning to keep the truck for a while to come and I have been thinking about when the engine goes on this truck of swapping another engine into it. What I would like is to keep good gas mileage and reliability, but at the same time I would like to have more than 100 hp too. I'd like a bit more power. I have been looking at the other 4 cylinder ranger engines, as well as some of the V6 engines.

So my question for y'all would be what would be the best engine for me to put in my ranger that is highly reliable, gets good gas mileage, and yet has plenty of power, preferably more than 100hp? Anyone have any good recommendations for me? I would appreciate any help or tips! Thanks!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS.

Good page to bookmark here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml

Your simplest and best bet would be to get another Lima 2.3l engine, 1991-1994.

Then build it up a bit, over time, as budget permitted
2.5l crank and rods will turn 2.3l into a 2.5l
You could just buy a 2.5l Ranger engine, 1998 to 2001 but you would need to change fuel system, wiring harness and computer, which would be more of a hassle than stoking the older 2.3l.

Stoked 2.3l would be 115-120HP

Bigger cam would add a bit of HP.

And you have a fresh engine good for another 300k.

You can also turbo charge these, they actually came with factory turbos in some Ford cars, but you would be changing wiring harness and computer for that.

Any other engine swap means changing the engine, transmission and mounting, engine wiring harness and computer, and most likely rear drive line and rear axle if you get above 150HP

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals