• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electronic blower. Crazy Idea?

You rate this idea...

• Crazy

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • Interesting Idea

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

847alexc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
So we all know that super chargers are belt driven and suck motor torque while turbos are driven by exhaust pressure, but tend to have lag and create additional back pressure.

So, what do you guys think about this...?

A small electric fan placed inline with the throttle body. The speed could be tied into the tachometer signal wire to adjust with engine revs. The would be no lag and much less drag on the motor. While it would tax the electrical system, the load would be minimal. You could easily come up with 5psi of boost without spending much money. not to mention it would be simple to adjust.

Am I crazy?:icon_twisted:

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yes....u are

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
So we all know that super chargers are belt driven and suck motor torque while turbos are driven by exhaust pressure, but tend to have lag and create additional back pressure.

So, what do you guys think about this...?

A small electric fan placed inline with the throttle body. The speed could be tied into the tachometer signal wire to adjust with engine revs. The would be no lag and much less drag on the motor. While it would tax the electrical system, the load would be minimal. You could easily come up with 5psi of boost without spending much money. not to mention it would be simple to adjust.

Am I crazy?:icon_twisted:
yes....u are
X2, i don't know about turbo's or superchargers, BUT i do know that with a 'blown' motor you have to build the motor 'low compression' so that when boost is applied, even a nominal 5psi, you don't blow the bottom end, at least that is what i have been told. i don't know about your idea, but that is the way it goes when you use a GM blower off of a 6-71 detroit [GM] if memory serves, i think you have to build those motors 7.5 to 1

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
its possable but its gonna be more expencive than 30 $

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i got my secret weapon in the bed of the truck hooked up into the snorkle system, i got a gas powered leaf blower in the bed, when i want more power ill start up the leaf blower and put it on full blast and poof, instant supercharger LOL

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
uhhh, guys...
there is some serious misinformation being propagated here.
#1 electric supercharger - not going to work. there is one company that sells a legit electric supercharger but it is about $2500 and only lasts for a burst of about 15 seconds. after that, the battery it runs on is drained. that battery is a car battery. you wont get boost out of a little electric fan in your intake. you might suck it into the engine though.
#2 low compression - the 2.3 turbo runs 8:1 compression and can handle up to 30psi. that however is the shortblock. if there isnt enough fuel, 3psi can put a hole in the piston. with the right tune, most modern 10:1 motors can take 15psi. Running on e85 GM racing's drift cars are at 14:1 and 20psi.
The 6-71 is a pretty inefficient blower, and has no intercooler. That is why compression has to be so low.

Your main problem with forced induction, and performance in general, is having the ability and skill to tune it correctly.

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i got my secret weapon in the bed of the truck hooked up into the snorkle system, i got a gas powered leaf blower in the bed, when i want more power ill start up the leaf blower and put it on full blast and poof, instant supercharger LOL
thats silly! just think of the horrible gas mileage your gonna get by running TWO motors.

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Hey it helps get a bonfire going a lot faster. Follow the path of logic and it should help engine performance as well!

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey it helps get a bonfire going a lot faster. Follow the path of logic and it should help engine performance as well!
like to see the look on a ricers face when i reach out the rear window to start up my supercharger LOL

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
sounds like you got a good recipe to make an engine run really poorly at worst and blow up fantastically at best. make sure you get videos if you blow it up.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sounds like you got a good recipe to make an engine run really poorly at worst and blow up fantastically at best. make sure you get videos if you blow it up.
damn, somebody has no sense of humor at all. and BTW, it has been done before successfully, just not something I or anyone i know would ever do

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
damn, somebody has no sense of humor at all. and BTW, it has been done before successfully, just not something I or anyone i know would ever do
hair dryers work better anyway.;brownbag;

ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
hair dryers arent going to blow enough the engine will suck in more air than that can put out

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals