• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

eb suspension question??

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
a cut down full width 44 will take 38s all day smile and say please sir i would like some more, in the unfortunate event you do break a shaft moly axles are about 500 for the set, why not go 60 from the rip you say, because my truck with moly shafts will go alot further then the same truck with 60s and reduced ground clearance

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
The Chromo shafts cost a bit more, but some brands from Bronco Graveyard for example have free replacement if you break them! One of the reasons I upgraded when I was getting ready for the UA last year. And seconding what MHughes is saying...you lose alot of clearance with a 60!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Could always shave it... Though I don't think it's more than about an inch or so (maybe even a little less)... Once you're up on 38+" tires, I really don't think it's gonna matter much.

If i'm gonna put out that kind of coin, it'll be on a 60 for sure.

Foxracin

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
a cut down full width 44 will take 38s all day smile and say please sir i would like some more
Wont last long at all with stock shafts and 38's if you plan on doing any wheeling besides gravel roads.

On the other hand RCV's ftmfw.:headbang:

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
a cut down full width 44 will take 38s all day smile and say please sir i would like some more, in the unfortunate event you do break a shaft moly axles are about 500 for the set, why not go 60 from the rip you say, because my truck with moly shafts will go alot further then the same truck with 60s and reduced ground clearance
Were you stoned when you typed this?

You must be kidding, right?

Last edited:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
After measuring my stock d35 beam at the diff center section for ground clearance, the d60 is about the same damn size actually....

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Were you stoned when you typed this?

You must be kidding, right?
nope, i prove it time and time again every time i have a truck, just because my way doesnt work for other people, it seems to do me just fine, i unfortunatle dont have the luxury of bein able to trailer my truck to make it bigger then street legal in the state of nj, so for me a 44 with molys locked seems todo just fine for the tires i run on the trails i run, now if youre talking strictly rock truck thats a different story entirely

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
nope, i prove it time and time again every time i have a truck, just because my way doesnt work for other people, it seems to do me just fine, i unfortunatle dont have the luxury of bein able to trailer my truck to make it bigger then street legal in the state of nj, so for me a 44 with molys locked seems todo just fine for the tires i run on the trails i run, now if youre talking strictly rock truck thats a different story entirely
your second post is much more realistic.

I'm not trying to pick on you, but your first one was completely out in left field. 38" tires are on the outter limits of a fully built 44. It'll hold up if you are careful, even running some of the harder trails, but it is FAR from "asking for more" as you describe it. The ground clearance is negligible, and my truck with a 44 in the front would NEVER out wheel my current truck with my 60... it would just break a lot on the the kinds of trails I run.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I have been debating 37's or 38's once I wear out my current 35's. Watching Andrew just destroy a D44 with 37's on the UA almost every day has me a bit worried though. Granted we both played on the same rocks, but I have a bit of a different driving style with my doubler. Alot of money can go into beefing up a 44! Mine is mainly a rock rig and I have broken a few stock shafts and autozone u-joints on 35's. Now with the chromo shafts and JE Reel cryo joints, I have had no issues!

As for the 60, how much bigger is it than a 44? It looks huge in comparison but I have never measured one. Are you saying the D44 and D60 have very close ground clearance with the same tires? Or 38's on a 60 and 35's on a 44 have similar ground clearance?

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
Mine and jasons rigs have similar ground clearance at the diffs. He is on 38.5 sx and my 39.5 iroks. I think i have about 12" under the diff cover.

We have wheeled some of the most hardcore trails in the country with jasons zj, smoked a set of yukons and his stoker replacements, but he usually is pretty reserved on the throttle. Its the difference between knowing you wont break, and knowing you are limited by your axld with a 44. Jason runs most of the trails i have but there are certain lines we know he cant take withiught high risk of breaking a front shaft.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
Our last trip he actually broke his 9" shaft. 31spline alloy, moser i think.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
here are some pictures I have from when I did the hydro install/skid plate. thats a d44 with 38.5's

Pictures werent taken for the purpose of showing ground clearance, so they arent the best, but you will get the idea.

here is my clearance with 39.5's

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals