• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Drive shaft carrier bearing.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Ford's PDI must be brief compared to what I've done for other manufacturers. They paid well for PDI's... but something like this would have run right up my backside if my number was on the PDI.

But yes...I'm surprised it didn't show up in the PDI test drive...

Will1022

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT CREW
Transmission
Automatic
Mine has held up fine. I would definitely be making a call to Ford Corporate. Just remember to be polite. Firm is fine but always be polite. They will be more willing to help you out and bend the rules that way. If you chew their rear end out, you'll get only the minimum. The person taking the call had nothing to do with this, they are just paid to take the call and provide customer service. Or at least as much customer service as the company will allow them.
Thanks

Will1022

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT CREW
Transmission
Automatic
That had to have vibrated for a long time.
The Ford CRC is 800-392-3673. They'll create a "case" and send it to the dealer to handle, quite often they'll throw the dealer under the bus,too.
Making sure all the parts are bolted on isn't on the PDI checklist but I expected my techs to have their eyes open and pay attention on the road test. We also checked all the fluid levels and torqued all the wheels even though they weren't on the check list either. Not being flat rate, they weren't punished financially for doing a good job. Most all of us drove/drive Fords.
Only has 300miles

Will1022

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT CREW
Transmission
Automatic
That had to have vibrated for a long time.
The Ford CRC is 800-392-3673. They'll create a "case" and send it to the dealer to handle, quite often they'll throw the dealer under the bus,too.
Making sure all the parts are bolted on isn't on the PDI checklist but I expected my techs to have their eyes open and pay attention on the road test. We also checked all the fluid levels and torqued all the wheels even though they weren't on the check list either. Not being flat rate, they weren't punished financially for doing a good job. Most all of us drove/drive Fords.
Also I've been reading about a lot of low speed vibration complaints.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
What do techs drive?
At my shop? Well I switch between my 87 and 88 Ranger and B2, both of which think they are 94 Explorers.

One guy has a literal fleet, the newest cars being his Foxbody Mustang and T-bird. Most days he drives his 76 El Camino, but has also been driving his 66 Mustang and early Econoline pickup a lot lately.

Our most senior tech switches off between his 97 Expedition and 94 F-150.

Then, in no particular order, an 09 Focus an 18 Focus ST, an 83 F-150, A 2010-ish F-250 diesel, and one guy does have a 19 Ranger that he bought new.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
At my shop? Well I switch between my 87 and 88 Ranger and B2, both of which think they are 94 Explorers.

One guy has a literal fleet, the newest cars being his Foxbody Mustang and T-bird. Most days he drives his 76 El Camino, but has also been driving his 66 Mustang and early Econoline pickup a lot lately.

Our most senior tech switches off between his 97 Expedition and 94 F-150.

Then, in no particular order, an 09 Focus an 18 Focus ST, an 83 F-150, A 2010-ish F-250 diesel, and one guy does have a 19 Ranger that he bought new.
Its like asking a chef what he likes cook for himself. So what do you mean by lack of confidence? are new cars junk or just untested?

Is this specific to Ford dealers?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Its like asking a chef what he likes cook for himself. So what do you mean by lack of confidence? are new cars junk or just untested?

Is this specific to Ford dealers?
We see the problems, we know what it takes to fix them, and we don't want to have to deal with that stuff on our own vehicles.

My Ranger, I can have the engine out and in in just under six hours, no lift, just hand tools and a cherry picker. Time to put an engine in a newer Escape? 20 hours, with a lift and power tools. I overhaul the transmissions from the 13-19 Escapes, and replace engines in them with alarming regularity. Hardly ever did that stuff on the 01-12s.

A lot of stuff on newer cars is one time use. Nuts, bolts, trim panels. I did a sunroof shade in a 13 MKZ (Lincoln Fusion) last week, C pillar trim panels "Remove and discard".

Not just that, but the levels of system integration, nothing is stand alone anymore, and lots of the parts needed to make simple stuff work are expensive electronics that will be obsolete and discontinued in a decade or less. Right now I am working on an 18 F-150. Radio doesn't work, easy right? I am unable to do anything even remotely useful for diagnostics because the "smart data link module" which is the scan tool's connection, but also an electronic module that handles signals from the networks I need keeps dying and I don't know why.

I don't want or need air conditioning, GPS, anti-lock brakes, automatic transmissions, SYNC or other comparable connectivity technologies, or "smart data link modules". I don't need every little thing to be a freaking module, I don't want a fully integrated interdependent network of computers in my car. Guess what I can't buy a new car without.

What I do want is a manual transmission, stand-alone systems, basic vehicle with a radio that can be replaced. Guess what I can't buy.

Most of my co-workers feel the same way.

Will1022

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT CREW
Transmission
Automatic
There is a difference between a defective part or a part failing in general and something not being assembled correctly and being caught on inspection.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There is a difference between a defective part or a part failing in general and something not being assembled correctly and being caught on inspection.
There is.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ford's PDI must be brief compared to what I've done for other manufacturers. They paid well for PDI's... but something like this would have run right up my backside if my number was on the PDI.

But yes...I'm surprised it didn't show up in the PDI test drive...
Pays about an hour. In that you are excepted to do a test drive of unspecified length. Most dealers I have worked at wanted it to be 10 miles, give or take. There is also an under-vehicle inspection on the check sheet. One place I worked I got yelled at for spending too much time test driving PDIs (I was driving each one like 5 miles) and there was a specific rule against lifting brand new cars, but that was put in place after someone dropped one.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Pays about an hour. In that you are excepted to do a test drive of unspecified length. Most dealers I have worked at wanted it to be 10 miles, give or take. There is also an under-vehicle inspection on the check sheet. One place I worked I got yelled at for spending too much time test driving PDIs (I was driving each one like 5 miles) and there was a specific rule against lifting brand new cars, but that was put in place after someone dropped one.
Depending on what accessories we had to install... the times went up. The base PDI payed 2 hours on a car and 2.5 on trucks. Then we got paid for roof racks... air deflectors.... whatever. It was good money and even better with accessories and campaigns that were required. But you better not miss anything. This was also at the time when the S/T Blazers use to explode rear glass... I don't remember how many of those exploded installing the air deflector.

Will1022

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT CREW
Transmission
Automatic
The torque on the bolts of the drive shaft assembly shouldn't be something the PDI should have to check. Should have been inspected before leave the factory. If that was case than do pull the wheels and check all the bolts on the suspension and breaks. The person at the factory's only job probably was to install the drive shaft assembly.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The torque on the bolts of the drive shaft assembly shouldn't be something the PDI should have to check. Should have been inspected before leave the factory. If that was case than do pull the wheels and check all the bolts on the suspension and breaks. The person at the factory's only job probably was to install the drive shaft assembly.
I agree. Somebody was slacking at the plant. Should be an easy fix though.

If they were visibly loose at the PDI they wouldn’t have ran 300 miles.

My brother is a senior master tech, he drives newer stuff. When things break under warranty ford pays him to fix his own vehicle. He actually doesn’t care for older stuff.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
That reinforces my opinion against flat rate. I had to answer to customers with problems and they didn't want to hear "but he did it really fast" after it broke and they walked home in the rain. I wanted my techs to think like craftsmen- how good can I make this- instead of worrying whether they could afford to fix it right. All our nearest "competition" was flat rate. When they didn't/couldn't/wouldn't fix something and it was headed for lemon law, our Ford rep would call me and make an appointment for the lemon law mandated "final repair attempt". A PDI can't be done properly without lifting a vehicle, stupid front office decrees notwithstanding.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals