• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Drive shaft carrier bearing.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
They are replacing complete shaft both parts and carrier bearing.
Thats good. It probably took a beating no matter how slow or careful you drove it after It came loose.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That reinforces my opinion against flat rate. I had to answer to customers with problems and they didn't want to hear "but he did it really fast" after it broke and they walked home in the rain. I wanted my techs to think like craftsmen- how good can I make this- instead of worrying whether they could afford to fix it right. All our nearest "competition" was flat rate. When they didn't/couldn't/wouldn't fix something and it was headed for lemon law, our Ford rep would call me and make an appointment for the lemon law mandated "final repair attempt". A PDI can't be done properly without lifting a vehicle, stupid front office decrees notwithstanding.
Ford has gotten really bad lately on their warranty times, they have lost a lot of good techs over it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
A PDI can't be done properly without lifting a vehicle, stupid front office decrees notwithstanding.
I would agree, since the check sheet says to inspect under the vehicle for leaks.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ford has gotten really bad lately on their warranty times, they have lost a lot of good techs over it.
Amen.

I'm waiting for the day that they say it was the tech's fault the car broke in the first place and they won't pay the tech anything to fix it.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Amen.

I'm waiting for the day that they say it was the tech's fault the car broke in the first place and they won't pay the tech anything to fix it.
They kind of already did that. Modular engines were pretty much trouble free until 1999 F trucks showed up with oil leaking onto the starter from the head gaskets. Jack Nasser( the prince of assholes) squeezed the suppliers to reduce cost so the gasket company made a cheaper gasket. All the TSB's blamed the head gasket leaks on techs scratching the surfaces of the heads and block by not using plastic scrapers to remove the gasket. That was b/s, the original gaskets leaked before a tech touched them.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
They kind of already did that. Modular engines were pretty much trouble free until 1999 F trucks showed up with oil leaking onto the starter from the head gaskets. Jack Nasser( the prince of assholes) squeezed the suppliers to reduce cost so the gasket company made a cheaper gasket. All the TSB's blamed the head gasket leaks on techs scratching the surfaces of the heads and block by not using plastic scrapers to remove the gasket. That was b/s, the original gaskets leaked before a tech touched them.
Have you seen the instruction video for surface prep for parts sealed with TA-357?

The only realistic way to achieve it is to either have the vehicle sit and drip dry for 24 hours or longer, or to remove the engine and turn it upside down when doing an oil pan.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
Have you seen the instruction video for surface prep for parts sealed with TA-357?

The only realistic way to achieve it is to either have the vehicle sit and drip dry for 24 hours or longer, or to remove the engine and turn it upside down when doing an oil pan.
I haven't, I retired in 17. They'd probably say I'm old school if I suggested releasing a gasket to be used for repairs after their factory sealer didn't hold up.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I haven't, I retired in 17. They'd probably say I'm old school if I suggested releasing a gasket to be used for repairs after their factory sealer didn't hold up.
What gets me is that in mid-18 the 2.7s went from a silicone seal to a gasket and the older ones don't get retrofit.

Basically you can have no oil or residue on the sealing surface or the seal won't hold. To do this you have to remove the old pan, scrape the old sealer off (plastic blades only of course) and allow to drip dry for at least 8 hours. Then you spray the whole thing down with brake cleaner (only Motorcraft, of course). Then you have to wipe it down with engine shampoo, use the prep wipes, allow to dry for at least 2 minutes (without letting oil drip out of the block back onto the sealing surface) and get your pan w/ sealer up in there. It is supposed to be set up enough to handle oil in 90 minutes.

The only way I have had any luck getting this stuff to hold on an oil pan is to get the pan down before I leave Thursday, allow it to drip dry over night, and most of Friday, get the pan up before I leave Friday night, and leave it sit dry over the weekend. Anything less and I have the vehicle back in less than 1000 miles, usually leaking worse than when it first came in.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
It's cheaper to build on the assembly line and no thought is given to repairing one after a customer owns it. When the 3.8 was introduced in 82 the only gaskets it had were head gaskets, everything else was RTV. They came back in droves with valve cover leaks so Ford eventually released gaskets to fix it, but a warranty claim would generate a call ticket for the gaskets that were removed- even though there were no gaskets. For a while we'd use carb clean on the surfaces until we saw that it prevented the silicone from sealing. Brake clean worked. We used Wurth brake clean for a long time and then switched to Castle Shop Solv that I still buy to use at home. My techs didn't like the Motorcraft stuff.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals