• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dome light stays on

Dwad17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I know there are a few threads on here about the dome light issues, but I have checked the usual culprits to no avail. I have a ‘95 ranger extra cab that I have recently changed the doors sensors and all the door ajar lights and chimes work, however the dome light still stays on. Any help would be appreciated.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

I have to ask so don't get mad..............is the dash light dimmer wheel turned OFF for dome light, it has a separate switch inside to activate dome light when wheel is turned all the way "up", you can feel a click on and then off when turning the wheel

I assume the "Door Ajar" light is OFF and only dome light is on, if thats the case then its not a GEM module issue

Above the gas pedal is Relay Box 1, it has a black cover over it, it faces towards parking brake pedal
Inside that box is the Interior light relay
The GEM Module activates this relay when a Door Switch is grounded, it also turns on "Door Ajar" light, at the same time
So no Door Ajar light means not a GEM issue
If there is a door ajar light then one of the door switch wires is shorted to ground somewhere or GEM is bad

Interior light relay is double pole so when not activated the dimmer wheel can send 12volts thru it to turn on dome light, this will also turn on the Cargo light on top back of cab if you have one(part of 3rd brake light)

Relay box 1 has a few relays inside and there is no good MAP for it because lay out changed yearly AND changed with Options added

After you take the cover off the relay 1 box see if it looks like this: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/sasso1179/2010-07-12_195044_relays_one.gif

If you pull battery saver relay OR interior light relay out dome light should go off

Wiring diagram below

Attachments

Dwad17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply, and yes the dash dimmer/dome light switch is off (sorry forgot to mention that in in the original thread). I will try investigating the relay box that you mentioned.

Dwad17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So I attached a photo of the relay box that you mentioned and unfortunately it looks nothing like the diagram you have. I have no idea what any of those relays are for. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I do have another diagram that shows 8 relays, so like yours

This shows the 5 slots for each relay, so each 1-5 is one relay
As said there no exact diagram, that I have found, for each year and option package

The top 2 relays in your box should be the battery saver and interior lights

Attachments

Dwad17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Please pardon my ignorance, but are you saying if I remove relay and the dome lights go off then the relay is bad and replacing it will solve my problem?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, probably not, but you can swap it with another relay in that box(not battery saver relay) to see

With interior light relay unplugged you can test the 5 slots to see why the dome light is staying on
As shown on wiring diagram you can test each slot to see whats amiss
Slot 4 should only have 12v with dimmer wheel clicked on, if it shows 12v then dimmer wheel may be the problem
Slots 1 and 5 should have 12v all the time
Slot 2 should NOT be a ground, with doors closed, hard to test, lol
slot 3 is OUT to dome bulb, should read as a Ground all the time since bulb is grounded, if it has 12v see below

If dome light stays on with relay unplugged then the wire to the dome light is shorted to a 12volt wire somewhere
If you have MAP lights they have 12v all the time

Last edited:

Dwad17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ok, thank you for all your help!

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As I recall, opening the door turns on the dome light by connecting it to ground. So, if the light stays on with the door closed and if you know the door switch is good, it means that there is a short in that wire somewhere between the door switch and the light (assuming no "door ajar" indicator.)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
As I recall, opening the door turns on the dome light by connecting it to ground. So, if the light stays on with the door closed and if you know the door switch is good, it means that there is a short in that wire somewhere between the door switch and the light (assuming no "door ajar" indicator.)
The door switch ground goes to the GEM module(or SJB, 2004 and up)
When ground is seen it will then close the interior light relay to turn on Dome light, AND will also turn on "Door Ajar" light on dash
So if you have BOTH dome light and door ajar light then yes, could be shorted wire from switch or switch itself

1995 and up Rangers have no direct connection between door switch and dome light

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals