• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DIY A/C Servicing

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Have any of you guys ever got them do it yourself a/c recharge kits from the auto parts store? If so is it even worth it or is it better to take it to a shop and have them do it?

azbronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
never had good luck if you need freon there is a reason save the thirty bucks and take it some where

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Is that bout what it runs to have it recharged at a shop?

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Is that bout what it runs to have it recharged at a shop?
That's about what the kit costs at autozone. Has your Bronco II been converted to R134a or is it still R12? The little kit they sell at autozone or other parts stores is R134a and will mess up your system if thrown in with existing R12 in your system. Some people have gotten away with replacing a few parts including the o-rings on their current system and then using the kit but most advise against it. Getting it recharged with R12 at a shop is going to be more than $30 because R12 is rather expensive due to it being illegal to produce.

moogvo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L Mustang engine
Transmission
Automatic
Autozone DIY A/C kits are crap. Once the pressure in the A/C system becomes equal to that in the can of freon, it won't charge any further. The shop has a heater that heats the freon to build pressure to fill the system. You will never get it full with the DIY cans unless you have some way to heat it... and a torch is NOT a good idea.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Autozone DIY A/C kits are crap. Once the pressure in the A/C system becomes equal to that in the can of freon, it won't charge any further. The shop has a heater that heats the freon to build pressure to fill the system. You will never get it full with the DIY cans unless you have some way to heat it... and a torch is NOT a good idea.
i don't have a heater at the shop. i just run the a/c system and it sucks it in. i don't use a can however.

OP you can't recharge your R-12 system with those kits. those kits are junk anyway and most contain stop leak which is a disaster.

just take it to the shop and get it leak checked (illegal to charge a known leaking system) and then have them charge it.

im recharging my R-12 system this summer after i replace the condenser and hoses. can't wait it will be ice cold

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, trying to find a shop that works on R-12. Just hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
In the long run, you may be better off converting. I guess it depends what and if anything is wrong with your system. My 91 needed a new compressor, so I converted to 134A. I also got new lines too because the compressor shot crap through the system.

moogvo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L Mustang engine
Transmission
Automatic
All you have to do to convert your system is to evacuate the R12 freon and oil, change the fittings and refill with 134A and oil designed for 134A. The problem with adding 134A to an R12 system is that the molecules are a different size. The 134A molecules can't carry the R12 oil and it fails due to a lack of lubrication. Some people get away with just throwing 134 into the system because there is still enough R12 left in the system to carry the old oil.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I also would say just go ahead and convert it over to R-134a. All your hoses & seals are over 20 years old now and everything probably should be replaced anyway.

I converted my '90 to use R-134a back in '08.
Replaced the original compressor (leaky) with a new OEM-type one (Visteon FS-6), replaced all the hoses, accumulator & orifice tube (red), and flushed out the stock condenser & evaporator with solvent. Did the normal evac routine and then charged it up with 32oz R-134a freon and 10oz PAG oil and it now blows out at a nice chilly 38° on full blast.
Total cost was around $700 or so in parts (the compressor being the bulk of it). A cheap reman compressor would've saved a bundle, but I didn't want to take a chance with having it only last one season or something so I went ahead with the good stuff as much as I could.

Oh and to get those little cans to empty out all the way, place it in a pan of hot water. :icon_thumby:

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
All you have to do to convert your system is to evacuate the R12 freon and oil, change the fittings and refill with 134A and oil designed for 134A. The problem with adding 134A to an R12 system is that the molecules are a different size. The 134A molecules can't carry the R12 oil and it fails due to a lack of lubrication. Some people get away with just throwing 134 into the system because there is still enough R12 left in the system to carry the old oil.

What fittings needed to be changed out? Was it hard to be changed out?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The high-side & low-side access ports.

Often what's done is you pull the valve core from the old R-12 fittings and screw R-134a adapters onto them (IIRC, they also have a locking thread or something making them difficult to remove afterward. Which is fine... There should never be a need to remove them and you don't want them ever coming loose on their own).

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Found out my a/c compressor clutch isn't working on mine. Could be a reason why it's not working. Is the a/c clutch hard to change out?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals