• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Distributor vibration/humming

kylep123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys,

My 1994 Mazda B3000 3.0 V6 2wd just started making a whining/humming noise from the back of the engine. I popped the hood and tried to figure out where it was coming from and it sounded like the distributor area. I touched it and felt a vibration with a frequency which matched the humming sound emitted. What does this mean? i recently replaced my head gaskets and replaced the heads with rebuilt ones. So the whole top end was taken apart about a month ago, the distributor was removed, but I had no problems initially after reinstallation. Also the sound seems to start after the engine warms up slightly and seems quieter as RPMs increase (could just be engine noise masking the sound).

Thanks!
Kyle

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I use a broom handle as a stethoscope, without the broom part attached :)
See if you can confirm the source.

If it is the distributor I would put the crank at TDC, so distributor is at #1 on the rotor/cap.
Pull out the distributor and check the rotor shaft for wobble, see if you feel any slack in the shaft.
There are bushings that can wear out.

Also there is usually a mounting gasket between distributor and block/intake, did this fall off the distributor when engine was reassembled, if so the distributor could be sitting slightly low and may be rubbing, causing a vibration.

kylep123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I will look into that asap and get back to you, thanks! I cant remember there being a seal, so it is likely that I may have missed it.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Sounds like the drive gear on the dizzy is on its way out.

-PlumCrazy

kylep123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Sorry, final exams are approaching and I'm studying my tail off! I will probably work on it over break in a couple weeks. I don't drive it too much... The noise has been intermittent though-although mostly making the sound, at times it can completely go quiet for an extended period of time.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
If it goes out the oil pump stops and yoir bearings are toasted

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

kylep123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Haha Thanks! I will ride my bike for the rest of the week!

kylep123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Thanks! I fixed it!

I went to the junk yard and pulled about 10 distributors in order to find the best one, when I went to remove the distributor from my truck I could not turn it or remove it. After tapping it with a wrench it jarred loose and came right out. I threw the other one in and had no binding, also I have no whining. Im thinking that the original must have been binding between the distributor housing and the heads and was tightened down to cause it to be misaligned and squeal? Noting the original position of the distributor, as I installed the new one it would not drop due to this interference, soooo maybe nothing was wrong in the first place other than my poor mechanic skills...

Thanks for all the help!
Kyle

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals