• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Distributor for a 2.8 Duraspark Conversion?

Austin.J

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Im trying to get the ranger running, but I cant find a distributor anywhere for it, its been converted to duraspark, I just cant find a distributor anywhere that will work, any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated

Just in case, its a 2.8 V6, 1984 Ranger

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
One of the options I was contemplating was to buy a 73-74 pinto distributor for a 2.8 v6 and then converting it with a pertronix ignition module. The very first ones were points distributors.

If you really need to get this going, you can put the TFI distributor back in place and wire it like below. When my 1978 cardone "rebuilt" distributor crapped out on me, I needed to get it running and like you was having a hard time finding a replacement. I stuck the TFI back in and wired it like in the link, and set the timing up a little bit and it ran surprisingly good. I ran it for almost a year like that with no problems. I was down on fuel mileage a little bit, but it ran good and was reliable.

I attached the picture below. You only need 3 wires.

Attachments

Austin.J

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sorry for the late reply, but the wires that I'd run, would they still go to the GM module, or directly to where they are supposed to go? I'll attach a picture of the module

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Sorry for the late reply, but the wires that I'd run, would they still go to the GM module, or directly to where they are supposed to go? I'll attach a picture of the module
If you are contemplating using the original TFI, no module needed, it already has the module mounted on the side of the dist. Just find your old computer harness, find the large plug that plugged into the TFI distributor, and unwind those dist wires and cut them so they are long coming out of the dist. Then look at the diagram above, you only need the 3 wires on the bottom.

I did all my conversion wiring over on the pass side fender, I had my GM module with a heatsink mounted over there. So when I abandoned the GM module, I took the power wire I had on it and hooked it to the TFI, and took the coil wires going to the GM module and hooked them to the TFI.

Summary; If you go back to the TFI, you do not need any module of any type, the TFI dist has the module you need mounted to it in the diagram above.

Austin.J

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So think I've got everything I need to get the conversation done, but before I go at it this weekend, how would I do the T between the positive on the coil, and the ignition power,

Question 2 would be, the ignition power is the starter relay correct?

Sorry for the late responses and my lack of knowledge, I'm still pretty new to all of this

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You connect the "12v on" wire from ignition switch to coil positive , then another wire from coil positive to the HEI module 12v terminal, that's a "T"

No, nothing to the starter relay's "I" post should be needed, that was pre-1980's setups, using older coils with ballast resistors
If you have a ballast resistor remove it, and splice its wires together, its no longer needed

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Can you find the original plug in and wires that went to the original coil? Those are the wires you need. One will be used for 12v ignition power. Sometimes it's a white/blue stripe wire.

Austin.J

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Can you find the original plug in and wires that went to the original coil? Those are the wires you need. One will be used for 12v ignition power. Sometimes it's a white/blue stripe wire.
I just attached a picture I took of the coil a while ago, when I first went to look at the truck, the green wire I traced back to the GM conversion module, as for any of the others I'm not sure where they go,

The smaller little black wire on the right, you can't see but it is cut and electrical taped off on the end

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The module turns the green wire on and off to the coil to create the spark. The other wire or wires to the coil are the ignition power to the coil, and these power the ignition module also.

The coil is mounted on a plastic fender. It will not work correctly if it's not grounded. The factory had a large black wire bolted to the coil bracket to ground the coil, and the other end of the black wire bolted to the engine block. The module also needs a ground which can be tied to this same spot on the coil where the ground wire is located.

Austin.J

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well I'd like to thank you all for your help! I was able to get it running, and it was able to drive, the brakes need some work, because they're sticking, but regardless thank you all for your help! I'll attach some pictures and videos we took of it

Attachments

Hale Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If you don't pay attention, you will pay someone else
Im trying to get the ranger running, but I cant find a distributor anywhere for it, its been converted to duraspark, I just cant find a distributor anywhere that will work, any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated

Just in case, its a 2.8 V6, 1984 Ranger
Contact Lisa - information below.

Lisa

Customer Service Manager | Cardone Industries

Phone: 800-777-4780

RC Cola

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Like everyone else I started down the road of converting my 85 Bronco II manual to a Dura spark ign. Then I ran into the minefield of finding a mid to late 70s v6 Duraspark distributor. I have the original system TFI ignition in place. I looked at your suggestion of clipping a few wires and setting timing up to 8 degrees +
My engine starts but is hard to keep running until warmed up and then has a very fast idle. I only use it as a motorized wheelbarrow (converted to short- SB pickup and use on my rural forested property . Never on highway. Could you make the picture of changes in the TFI diagram from Franklin 2, for this mentally challenged, wantabe FMC mechanic , easier to follow. Thanks again

Last edited:

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Like everyone else I started down the road of converting my 85 Bronco II manual to a Dura spark ign. Then I ran into the minefield of finding a mid to late 70s v6 Duraspark distributor. I have the original system TFI ignition in place. I looked at your suggestion of clipping a few wires and setting timing up to 8 degrees +
My engine starts but is hard to keep running until warmed up and then has a very fast idle. I only use it as a motorized wheelbarrow (converted to short- SB pickup and use on my rural forested property . Never on highway. Could you make the picture of changes in the TFI diagram from Franklin 2, for this mentally challenged, wantabe FMC mechanic , easier to follow. Thanks again
When I was running the locked TFI, I set my timing around 20 degrees. I was pleasantly surprised it started ok hot, and did not have any pinging to it either. It ran quite well except my fuel mileage was down a couple mpg.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Btw, microsquirt will run a tfi distributor flawlessly.

May be a viable option to be able to set variable/ programmable timing on some of these engines.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Btw, microsquirt will run a tfi distributor flawlessly.

May be a viable option to be able to set variable/ programmable timing on some of these engines.
Awfully steep learning curve for the microsquirt. And you would only be using a portion of it since the 2.8 has a carb.

I called the factory on this product http://www.daytona-sensors.com/tcs-1--timing-control-system.html but they could not tell me if the hall effect sensor signal (square wave) would work to trigger the daytona module. And of course you would only have straight advance, no vacuum advance function, which you would have with the microsquirt I am assuming since it has a map sensor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals