• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Delayed "Lockup" on Torque Converter

DaveThePear

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I've searched and searched and can't find a thread that remotely answers this. I've driven dad's 2000 Explorer and it doesn't seem to do this and he does absolutely nothing to maintain his vehicle. So here goes:

4r44e Trans. It takes at LEAST a half mile of steady 60 mph before the torque converter locks and drops the RPM to about 2100. On a cold day it will go a mile or so before locking. Is this normal?

I've found that if I turn off the O/D it will lock faster and drop to about 2700 at 60 mph in roughly a quarter mile, I can then hit the O/D again and it'll drop down to 2100 and stay there until my foot changes or speed drops due to a hill. Also, the shifting doesn't seem very firm, kind of lacking. IDK. O/D light does not blink, no codes stored or otherwise.

If this is normal, then so be it... if not, any fixes? I just find it unusual that it would wait so long. I have other questions about it but I suppose that should be in another thread... but it may be due to the transmission. I plopped some user notes in to explain its past: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/usernote.php?do=viewuser&u=32117 (I hope they're publicly viewable)

Last edited:

DaveThePear

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
only an hour and already mentioned on Google search... far out.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
From : http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161337

4R44E/4R55E/5R55E COMMON PROBLEMS

Q1. My 4R/5R is starting to display an OD light that is flashing, and the shifts are sometimes late, or "soft".

A1. These transmissions use an electronic pressure control (regulator) solenoid (EPC) that works hard to maintain a contant pressure as commanded by the computer. It seems these have a useful life of 65,000 miles on the low side and about 150,000 miles on the high side. In addition, these transmissions were prone to blowing out main control (valve body) gaskets. FORD came out with a technical service bulletin (tsb) on these issues and there is a kit that modifies the VB and changes the separator plate and gaskets. I recommend whenever there is this issue to change out the EPC. It costs about $115. The FORD mods are about $30. This is a good time to upgrade the Valve body too. (See separate Q on this below).

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Completely normal on a computer controlled transmission.

It is to heat the tranny fuild up quicker in cold weather.

Your dad's should do it too.

DaveThePear

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for your replies,

Q1. My 4R/5R is starting to display an OD light that is flashing, and the shifts are sometimes late, or "soft".
I do not have flashing OD light. It does fine, just not when I think it should or not what I'm used to. Maybe the thing thinks it's cooler than it is. I'm almost to 150k. I shall try replacing a few things next fluid change... if it lasts that long. Happen to know the TSB #?

Completely normal on a computer controlled transmission.

It is to heat the tranny fuild up quicker in cold weather.

Your dad's should do it too.
His barely runs, I should be glad mine does run. It continues to have sluggish shifts and late lockup even after it's warmed up.

DaveThePear

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
It's got an external cooler, bypassing the radiator, maybe it's not warming up? I'll visit a transmission shop with my credit card and see what they'll offer to do to me.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When you run with od locked out it probably builds heat faster. I have heard of extra coolers increasing the time for lockup because of the increased cooling.

As far as the soft shifts... dunno. That could be a deeper problem.

Get a second opinion than just one shop too. A lot of those places really like to sell reman transmissions and will condem a good one to sell one.

Last edited:

tanbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You could always do the lockup mod and lock the trans manually. I did that to my 2000 explorer

DaveThePear

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
When you run with od locked out it probably builds heat faster. I have heard of extra coolers increasing the time for lockup because of the increased cooling.

As far as the soft shifts... dunno. That could be a deeper problem.

Get a second opinion than just one shop too. A lot of those places really like to sell reman transmissions and will condem a good one to sell one.
That sounds plausible, it's rather cold here at the moment. I don't think it passes through the radiator, last vehicle I had with a trans cooler still passed through the radiator. I'm thinking a band adjustment is in order... not sure I want to do that either. I don't trust shops, they are in the business to make money and the only way to find out if they're honest is to get screwed by a few.

You could always do the lockup mod and lock the trans manually. I did that to my 2000 explorer
I seriously considered that... still unsure if I want to force it to lock and am concerned about frying the computer if I hook the wrong thing to the ground.

Last edited:

tanbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I tapped in pin 54 on the pcm for the explorer, its a different number than the one in the tech pages. I dont use it too often, usually when its already locked and im crusing at a good speed ill hit it. It keeps it from unlocking every time u let off the gas. I can use it to force a lockup, but i make sure im real easy on the gas while im doing that.

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
If you figure this out please update or PM me please, my truck is the same year and doing kinda the same thing as yours. I figure its fords crappy transmissions but I always run with my OD off because I live in a city and I dont want it to be shifting in and out all the time. Mine also has a tranny cooler on it.

97fordrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

A1. These transmissions use an electronic pressure control (regulator) solenoid (EPC) that works hard to maintain a contant pressure as commanded by the computer. It seems these have a useful life of 65,000 miles on the low side and about 150,000 miles on the high side. In addition, these transmissions were prone to blowing out main control (valve body) gaskets. FORD came out with a technical service bulletin (tsb) on these issues and there is a kit that modifies the VB and changes the separator plate and gaskets. I recommend whenever there is this issue to change out the EPC. It costs about $115. The FORD mods are about $30. This is a good time to upgrade the Valve body too. (See separate Q on this below).
Mine takes awhile for it to lock up. I always run with the OD off to but thats cause I got 33's with 3.73's. But it still holds up to a lot and its got 174xxx on it. If your gonna wheel do yourself a favor an install a trans temp gauge. It has saved me a few times knowing what gets it hot and when to back off.

tanbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I run the auto in overdrive lockout in town too, and i have 4.10s. The normal shift sequence driving normally is it shifts to drive around 25-30 mph, then locks the converter at 35 mph. It shifts into overdrive with the converter locked at 45 mph, which i never hit in town, so i leave it locked out.
THe dumb thing it does under 45 with overdrive on is shift into it when u coast, the downshift back to drive when u give it any throttle. I noticed it does this down to about 30 mph.

DaveThePear

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Starting to see that my "problems" are normal... (I'm also on ranger-forums.com, same username, same avatar)... and a few others. It never hurts to have multiple opinions & ideas.

I've had it locked in 4-Hi since Sunday, occasionally putting it in 2 (the highway has no snow/ice), it's been doing fine lately. It does seem to "slip" out of 4wd on occasion and the back slides, then it catches and rights itself. Weird. I'm pretty sure I have a live front axle... I haven't looked, it's too cold to worry about at the moment.

Last edited:

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
Your transfer case chain may be worn a bit and its slipping causing you to lose traction. As for the tranny issue, its not normal for an auto tranny to act the way these do. I have driven many auto vehicles and aside from the thunder bird I had this one is the worst. Mine does the same thing as yours and many of these guys on here but I think its more the fact that ford cant build anything that works past 80 k. Im just waiting for the stupid thing to give out totaly then I will deal with it. If you do figure something out let me know.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals